Dedicated Braumeister Guide, Problems & Solution Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got the 50L braumeister recently.

I've done two brews so far with horrible results. Woeful efficiency...

First brew:
11kgs of grain. 50L into fermenter. Aiming for 1.052Came in at 1.043... 65%. Was a bit disappointed with this. I thought my crush might not have been great, so for the second brew I did a double crush - which resulted in pretty fine crushed malt.

Second brew (with double crushed fine malt)
12.1kgs of grain, 50L into fermenter. Came in at 1.034. WTF?!

What is happening here? I thought a finer crush would have definitely got better efficiency... A kilo more grain too, and it dropped by a whole 1.010 to 1.034, which is absurdly low.

Could it be, that the crush was so fine, that the circulation was affected? I can't believe it was this poor though

So I've done a few brews on my new 50L, and went from 67% BE on the first brew to 73% BE today.

I ended up changing grain crush from fine to coarse (1.2mm) and mashing a little longer (around 90min).

@clarkie54 mentioned that losses are an issue, I found this as well. Still yet to nail down dead space and loss calculations. With short malt pipe and no-chill, had 27L post boil but still had to tip the Brau to get the last of the wort into the cube? It feels counter-intuitive.

What is everyone's kettle dead space volume? I am adjusting up to 5L.
upload_2017-9-26_11-12-56.png

upload_2017-9-26_11-20-43.png

Last edited:
Yeh I used beersmith.
Filled with 55L, 12kgs g normal mash schedule starting at 58c ending at 78c in different steps over 90 mins (45 mins at 62c).. Pulled out malt pipe, topped back up to 55L. Boiled, and then topped up to 55L again at end of boil.

The fine crush is all I can think could be the problem. Used less grain on the first brew and got higher efficiency

This is how I brew with my 50lt BM, always have, and I have Beersmith set to this. I do sparge back to 55lt rather than just topping up but top up after the boil to 55lt.
The brew I did last week used 10kg of grain and finished at 1.052, this BTW was what I was aiming at. 55lt into the fermenters.

Batz

Hey Fungrel. I use a pickup in the back of the tap to get more out of the kettle. I generally allow about 2-3 its left to kettle dead space. Prior to fitting the pickup I measured 10 ltrs below the height of the tap fitting.

Hey Fungrel. I use a pickup in the back of the tap to get more out of the kettle. I generally allow about 2-3 its left to kettle dead space. Prior to fitting the pickup I measured 10 ltrs below the height of the tap fitting.
I also use a pick up with similar kettle dead space.
This 2-3 lts are poured into a jug and left to settle, then used for starters.

10L? Now that i think about it, makes sense. I bought the Plus and was thinking of draining from the tap at the bottom of the unit and blocking off the tap. Too much volume wasted for my liking.

Can you explain what the pickup is and whether you bought it or made it?

10L? Now that i think about it, makes sense. I bought the Plus and was thinking of draining from the tap at the bottom of the unit and blocking off the tap. Too much volume wasted for my liking.

Can you explain what the pickup is and whether you bought it or made it?

I used a copper elbow with a short length of 1/2” silicone tube pushed into the back of the tap fitting. If you want to go the way of the helix then that looks to be a great option also.

I'm pulling my already thin hair out at this machine.

Still at a loss as to my low BE. Can't get it any higher than around 65-70%, which is okay, but it's inconsistent. Only using short malt pipe in a 50L.

It has to be due to boiloff rates as conversion efficiency is around 90%, pre-boil is around the same and then it goes downhill from there.

I'm using the hood, as far as i can see from my last few brews i only gain about 3 gravity points from a 75min boil. Does this sound correct?

Here is what I am using for the next brew. Any suggestions? Using the BM Plus, so no losses in the kettle.

upload_2017-10-11_10-44-16.png

Try a crush closer to 1.5mm.
Should be getting 80% BHE as a minimum

I understand what you are saying, but with a mash efficiency in the realm of 90%, surely the low brewhouse efficiency isn't because of crush. Conversion is sound. Don't you think it has to do with boiloff or volume losses?

I understand what you are saying, but with a mash efficiency in the realm of 90%, surely the low brewhouse efficiency isn't because of crush. Conversion is sound. Don't you think it has to do with boiloff or volume losses?

Boil off won't affect efficiency - only concentrates the sugars.
If you're leaving a lot of trub behind post boil, then this will affect BH effeciency.

Have you calibrated the BM yourself?
Even though they come with volume markings on the centre rod - check it yourself.
I calibrated our brand new 15hL FVs after seeing radical discrepancies. Came with a sticker on it which it turns out was the perfect scale, just stuck on in the wrong spot resulting in 120L more than it indicated (all 3 FVs - must've been a job for the work experience kid that day)

Boil off won't affect efficiency - only concentrates the sugars.
If you're leaving a lot of trub behind post boil, then this will affect BH effeciency.

Have you calibrated the BM yourself?
Even though they come with volume markings on the centre rod - check it yourself.
I calibrated our brand new 15hL FVs after seeing radical discrepancies. Came with a sticker on it which it turns out was the perfect scale, just stuck on in the wrong spot resulting in 120L more than it indicated (all 3 FVs - must've been a job for the work experience kid that day)

Yeah, i checked the markings. They are spot on.

Incorrect estimation of volume was the culprit. Ended up being a huge amount of liquid that I was leaving behind (got lazy when i was using a Grainfather) and once accounted for, and I used the above profile for the latest brew, got 84% BE.

Just need to tweak a little to account for more absorption from hops and it should be spot on.

I’m just setting up my 50 to brew tomorrow and had no power at the controller. Checked breaker [emoji736] unplug WiFi unit [emoji736]power to controller. I tried unplugging the WiFi unit 4 times and each time the controller powered on. Both are mounted next to each other at back of controller. Any ideas folks?

I’m just setting up my 50 to brew tomorrow and had no power at the controller. Checked breaker [emoji736] unplug WiFi unit [emoji736]power to controller. I tried unplugging the WiFi unit 4 times and each time the controller powered on. Both are mounted next to each other at back of controller. Any ideas folks?

I have has this problem once, I did similar fault finding to this but in the end I left it over-night and it worked in the morning... This is probably no help to you though :p

Quick question for 20l Brau users; what volume do you find you’re able to get into the fermentor from your 20l Brau?

Latest posts

Back