CRABs XMAS in July case swap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With the recent additions we are now up to 24 adults and 11 kids if all show up. Will confirm with the last couple of maybe's next week.

Might need to check we have enough food! How big is your smoker sp0rk? One of the maybes is the bello butcher and his family, might hit him up for a discount on something big if they decide to come :p

If you can organise a spit, we could all throw in a few bucks and get a whole pig or sheep

Good to hear you're coming Matt :)
Can you please bring my stuff from the Grafton Show if you've still got it floating around?
My smoker is a 44 gallon drum on it's side with 2 BBQ grills in it for cooking on
I'll pop by country brewer this afternoon and see if Matt is still coming

In other news, Courtney from Mother's Milk sent me a message last night offering for us to do a brew day at the shop using their 3V rig if we want
And he hinted at the possibility of a CRABs collaboration brew that can go on tap in store...

sp0rk said:
Good to hear you're coming Matt :)
Can you please bring my stuff from the Grafton Show if you've still got it floating around?
My smoker is a 44 gallon drum on it's side with 2 BBQ grills in it for cooking on
I'll pop by country brewer this afternoon and see if Matt is still coming

In other news, Courtney from Mother's Milk sent me a message last night offering for us to do a brew day at the shop using their 3V rig if we want
And he hinted at the possibility of a CRABs collaboration brew that can go on tap in store...
Cool, need to think how much meat we will need to fill 30-40 stomachs. 3 pork legs plus the various bits everyone is bringing?

Whats the capacity of their 3v rig?

Better organise some bread.

Might see what the local bakery will charge for a big bag or 2 of burger buns.

Ducatiboy stu said:
Better organise some bread.

Might see what the local bakery will charge for a big bag or 2 of burger buns.
Yeah good idea. I was thinking of grabbing a few loaves of turkish bread for bacon and eggs in the morning too.

Really hope it doesn't rain, a lot of people to squash inside if it does!

Never rely on the weather, who cares, we'll get by, and people who winge about the weather would winge about winning $100.

Wouldn't be the first time I've drank beer in the rain ;)

Ducatiboy stu said:
Couple of hours = your staying night.
You have now been voted as the official morning breakfast bacon judge.
Your staying. Mrs Skelly can leave at will.
We will drop you home some time next week
My knowledge of bacon is probably not up to your level Stu so the title might be wasted on me!! I will see how we go! Shaun- no potatoes but I do have a fun spud gun I could bring along!! Shoots a humble potatoe about 100m makes for a bit of fun target shooting while standing around drinking beers. Not suitable if there is livestock and kids around though so I may just leave it in the ute incase we have a dire need of entertainment

My brother has a lump of pork in the freezer from his father in laws farm (he thinks its a leg), he's going to bring that.

Sp0rk are you still looking at getting some pork?

If you, me and my brother each bring a chunk of pork that should just about do us along with the duck and other things. Ill get a few kg of sausages from the butcher just in case too.

I'll bring my smoker ey, sounds like we may need it.

Dunno which meats im bringing yet (Or how the hell we are getting there if all the parts I ordered dont get here by friday, currently front section of engine is in a million bits).

I have 2 small Venison roasts
All the other meats i spoke about are in Glen Innes in my freezer, and my relied upon courier aint going back up again now till after our shindig, but i've got a freezer here full of meats i'll look through.

Can any of the other guys coming from or heading through Grafton grab you if your parts don't arrive?

We'll figure out some way to get you here if we have to :p

Arghonaut said:
Can any of the other guys coming from or heading through Grafton grab you if your parts don't arrive?

We'll figure out some way to get you here if we have to :p
Me and my kids are ( hopefully ) coming with Saun. I was going to drive but the gearbox in my ute has spat a few bearings* and sounds like a group of tomcats on heat.

* and since it has a Toyota Celica 5 speed, and the bearings are "unique" to toyota its becoming a challenge to find parts for it without having to go to toyota with a bank account not even Gina could afford....

Hopefully his parts arrive then.. If you run out of options I could always grab you off the train at Urunga, or in Coffs if you can convince your horse to drag you that far :p

as someone famously once said 'She'll Be Right Mate'.

In more depressing news, the IPA i've brewed for the swap has been a fuk-up, but hopefully should get enough to swap.
Out of the 3 I have taste tested, 2 were flat as a tack, with no sediment, so in my bottling hurry before the Outlaws come out for dinner 2 weeks ago I have missed priming some of the bottles, fukin hopeless. I'll have to check each brew under lamp and seperate ones with and without sediment. :(

Arghonaut said:
My brother has a lump of pork in the freezer from his father in laws farm (he thinks its a leg), he's going to bring that.

Sp0rk are you still looking at getting some pork?

If you, me and my brother each bring a chunk of pork that should just about do us along with the duck and other things. Ill get a few kg of sausages from the butcher just in case too.
Sounds good
If your butcher is coming out, we should hit him up for a couple of on the bone shoulders, they go amazing on the smoker
If we can get my smoker out there by friday Arvo, I can either ride out early saturday morning and get her fired up nice and early and chuck the pork on, get it smoking for a good long time, or just teach Arghonaut how to do it (if he doesn't know how already) beforehand
I'll have a go tomorrow morning at putting the smoker and stand in the car, but I doubt she'll fit

Most yanks say 1.5 hours per pound for pulled pork, so for a 4kg pork shoulder you're looking at around 12 hours
Of course if we're not pulling it, 8 hours is a good time for charcoal roasted pork, I'm not sure if having multiples bits of pork will really add to the time or not
I bought 20kg of charcoal the other week, so I've got plenty there
I have a some hickory chips left, may be enough for this, if anyone has any other suggestions for smoking wood/some laying around just let me know
I'll grab a big tub of sour cream, a couple bags of grated cheese and some fresh chives for the potatoes, I'm sure the kids will love that (if none of them are lactose intolerant...)

sp0rk said:
Sounds good
If your butcher is coming out, we should hit him up for a couple of on the bone shoulders, they go amazing on the smoker
If we can get my smoker out there by friday Arvo, I can either ride out early saturday morning and get her fired up nice and early and chuck the pork on, get it smoking for a good long time, or just teach Arghonaut how to do it (if he doesn't know how already) beforehand
I'll have a go tomorrow morning at putting the smoker and stand in the car, but I doubt she'll fit

Most yanks say 1.5 hours per pound for pulled pork, so for a 4kg pork shoulder you're looking at around 12 hours
Of course if we're not pulling it, 8 hours is a good time for charcoal roasted pork, I'm not sure if having multiples bits of pork will really add to the time or not
I bought 20kg of charcoal the other week, so I've got plenty there
I have a some hickory chips left, may be enough for this, if anyone has any other suggestions for smoking wood/some laying around just let me know
I'll grab a big tub of sour cream, a couple bags of grated cheese and some fresh chives for the potatoes, I'm sure the kids will love that (if none of them are lactose intolerant...)
I'll talk to his boss tomorrow and see if they are coming, we work together.

I reckon charcoal roasted is probably the way to go, then we can do it all on Saturday. I'll be pretty busy getting everything else ready, not sure ill have the time/patience to learn how to use a smoker :p I could still pick it up on Friday after dropping my brother in law at the airport if that makes it easier.

Ive got 120 acres of trees and several chainsaws if thats any help for smoking chips, or I can pick up some more in Coffs from TCB if you reckon we will need them.

Better grab some plastic cutlery and plates..

Ill check out the wholesaler in town and see what they have

Ducatiboy stu said:
Better grab some plastic cutlery and plates..

Ill check out the wholesaler in town and see what they have
Yeah, the numbers have shot past the point where i have enough plates and cutlery to go around.

Plastic beer glasses too, or BYO if you have a favourite, I've only got about half a dozen glass ones at the moment, too many accidents :p

Latest posts

Back