Cost Of Doing An Ag?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kuzzy

Reaction score
I'm a long term kit brewer who is getting into the "bits" at this stage (steeping grains and tea bag hops), with the plan to AG when I get the gear.

Quick question:

What does the grain & hops cost for an average single brew?

I'm a long term kit brewer who is getting into the "bits" at this stage (steeping grains and tea bag hops), with the plan to AG when I get the gear.

Quick question:

About $35 depending on recipe, its not about the money, its about the experience, the smells, and the taste, but what a difference AG makes

It really depends on what you're brewing (specialty grains, hops needed, etc.), but for a basic 100% ale/pils malt, and say 50g hops and dry yeast, $30 would cover a 25L, 1.050 batch easily.

Costs can increase if you use more specialty malts, imported malts, more hops, liquid yeasts... but costs can decrease if you buy ingredients in bulk, grow your own hops, farm your own yeasts/trade with other people, better efficiency, etc.

How long's a piece of string?

OK, lets look at an avarage 23 litre batch, with average efficiency.

5 kg grains @ say $4 kg = $20
80 - 100 gr hops, say $10
Brewing salts, whirlfloc etc $0.50
Gas to heat HLT and kettle $4 (probably somwhat less if electric)
Yeast can be anything from $0 to about $12 for a whole new smackpak, depending on your starter practice or yeast harvesting etc.

All up you are looking at somewhere about $40 per batch.

Now, if you have a mill, you can buy your malts in bulk and reduce the cost somewhat.
None of these estimates make any allowance for amortisation of the capital cost of setting up your AG system, but that's a whole other subject on its own.

Quick question:

You care about the cost of producing great beer????

Stick with kits :(

Screwy

As per Adam.

I only do doubles which average about $45-50 for 2x19lts of finished beer or 2 cornies or 54 tallies. To be honest because I rarely buy megaswill commercial I really don't look at what I am spending anymore I just know I am in front.

Cheers

Chap Chap

as has already been said it depends. my basic aussie lager is around 20,25 bucks but some of my ipas comein at closer to 50 bucks with a shitload of hops. its probably dearer than a basic k+b but cheaper than the equivelent extract brew.the main expense is in setting up but once your past that a lot cheaper and better quality than most beer you can buy.

You care about the cost of producing great beer????

Stick with kits :(

That's a bit unfair. We're not all rolling in the folding stuff and these things can raise certain issues about the house.

OP, I've found that my more adventurous K&B/extract brews easily cost at least as much as an AG brew. As Warra points out - the real hurdle is the set-up costs (which can be as much or, almost, as little as you want depending on what corners you're happy to cut and your desire to do a Bob the Builder on it with scrounged materials).

That's a bit unfair. We're not all rolling in the folding stuff and these things can raise certain issues about the house.

So he's moving to Ag because.........................

Screwy

He wants better beer but also wishes to be informed on the issues that he feels pertinent to be abreast of before making the jump.

as I have just started, it is costing up to $45 a batch, which is similar price to fresh worts, not too sure where you are but you could try them to start.

I am now starting to "save" on the cost of brews.

So now I have a mill $200 and storage containers to make grain cheaper.
I have a vacuum sealer $100 to make Hops cheaper.
I have another fridge/freezer to store the Hops and hold the yeast slurries to make yeast cheaper.

There is a great comment somewhere that we send a lot of money to make cheap beer :)

But rough cost for my 6 batches

Around $20 in base grain, $8 in specialty grain, yeast between $5 and $15, Hops $15, delivery $8.

I figure it's a bit less than a Slab of JSGA or LCPA and bit more than a slab of VB for the equivalent of 2 slabs of great beer (lets ignore 2 of my brews that I killed :) )

So he's moving to Ag because.........................

Screwy

Agree Screwy. My sole motivation of moving to AG was for flavour and aroma. IIRC partials and extract were really no cheaper than AG.

As Bum has pointed out the gear can add up but have a look at Manticle for inspiration. His early beers were great and note worthy and he didn't have any fancy gear what so ever. It can be as cheap or expensive as you want.

Compared to a carton of megaswill there is not competition is there?

i seem to remember a thread on how to get into a/g for 30 bucks so domestic issues should not be a problem, as to the cost of an a/g brew i will quote John Palmer " it depends".

Agree Screwy. My sole motivation of moving to AG was for flavour and aroma. IIRC partials and extract were really no cheaper than AG.

As Bum has pointed out the gear can add up but have a look at Manticle for inspiration. His early beers were great and note worthy and he didn't have any fancy gear what so ever. It can be as cheap or expensive as you want.

Compared to a carton of megaswill there is not competition is there?

Some guys have boats...............................

I won a State championship and a gold medal at AABC with a beer made in a $30 esky, with a 10" piece of bent 3/8 copper tube for a pickup. boiled in an old keg with the top cut off...... as many others have too.

all up the cost of 2 cartons of VB. You dont need a big flash brewery. I have one now but still brew in the old esky from time to time!

invest in a grain mill (and it is an investment!) and buy your malt in bulk, and the beer will be far better than extract brews and wont sost bugger all more.

Just time to brew it :).... but thats half the fun.

cheers

I don't really care about the cost - I was just wondering what the ongoing brewing cost was.

I already have expensive hobbies (2 race cars & 6 kids!), so another hobbie won't smash the already damaged bank account! I also have an awsome shed so the space is not an issue.

I really like the idea of doing it from scratch and saying - I really made this by myself, not a kit - and if it is better tasting even better.

I don't really care about the cost - I was just wondering what the ongoing brewing cost was.

I already have expensive hobbies (2 race cars & 6 kids!), so another hobbie won't smash the already damaged bank account! I also have an awsome shed so the space is not an issue.

I really like the idea of doing it from scratch and saying - I really made this by myself, not a kit - and if it is better tasting even better.

Go for it mate!

Will it taste better - no question.

:chug:

Back