Cost Of Doing An Ag?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
By the time you buy a keggle, a burner, a gas supply, a 50l esky etc you could just about go 2 urns and do parallel BIAB batches with very little extra effort, and can even do side by sides with slightly different ingredients if you like experimenting.

Edit: Most of a brew day consists of sitting around waiting for things to happen (90min mash 90 min boil) with mad bursts of manic activity, so by starting a second brew 20 minutes later than the first one, you end up with more manic activity, but only add 20 mins to the brew day itself. Give me the manic :p

I'm going to time the actual "hands on" length of brewing this afternoon. I don't think it's more than about 30 minutes.

Time is the biggest factor, even if just hanging around the area to keep an eye on thins... I am down to 5 hours for double batch BIAB including prep and cleaning. This will drop by 30 minutes with a high pressure reg for my italian spiral, not that I am worried about the time, I am still new to brewing so it is all exciting and I hope that doesn't change.

I am averaging $80 per double batch (granted i have only done 3) with ingredients, LPG for the burner and electricty for the fermenting fridge.

All equipment I have just written off as a hobby investment, much cheaper than my other hobbies such as paintball.

I look at it as $20 a case but the quality is twice that of a $40 case of extra dry so you are getting 4 times the value of buying that crap!

mckenry said:
quick answer = $1/L

No scrimping on ingredients either. Yes I am a bulk grain buyer.
Pretty much what I work on.

Buy hops and malt in bulk. Split yeasts. Make starters from kettle trub.

Triple batches save on gas, and misc losses

OOPS! Sorry about that...I think I was searching how to re use yeast and must have re used the thread instead

Moad said:
OOPS! Sorry about that...I think I was searching how to re use yeast and must have re used the thread instead
Don't be sorry to be using search and/or making a nice addition to a thread, how ever old it is...

Was just poking the ribs mate.

:icon_cheers:

Yeh..much better to revive an old one than start a new one. You will learn that soon enough...As I did.... :ph34r:

Cocko said:
More so the old guys :ph34r:
I foresee vaginal discomfort.

The guy is right though. Stop posting, bully! There's only a finite number of posts that can be counted and you're wasting them.

Does saying nothing in relation to the post count as a wasted post.

I remember being ran off the road once to avoid a head-on and cleaning up a white roo....or 4

was that a wasted post?

Anyway I spend about $30 on each batch including postage and splitting liquid yeasts at least twice.

Most I have spent was about $60 on a Bourbon Barrel Scottish Ale........saved me over $140 on buying the commercial stuff.

Nick JD said:
I'm going to time the actual "hands on" length of brewing this afternoon. I don't think it's more than about 30 minutes.
taken you about 3 yrs to finish the brew.....

i ask for CB gift vouchers and i reckon this year is a FREE BEER YEAR thanks to my "sponsors" :beer:

yum beer said:
Does saying nothing in relation to the post count as a wasted post.
Reminds me of when Bribie was counting down to the 11,111 mark :lol:

Anyone who saw my 'old' brewery (or the thread for the 2 pot stovetop method) would know how cheap the brewery was. 2 big w pots, the esky I already had, 2 cheap buckets & a tap from bunnings.

My 2nd place getter at QABC was a Golden Strong Lager (done with an ale yeast) and off memory cost about $1 per litre for a high abv% high grav beer.

So both cost of equipment and cost of ingredients are never an excuse to not make AG beer, and more importantly good beer, as judged by your peers.

Now, as to what I'm going to do, now I'm in tassie....

Back