Chinese Hops? What Next

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to admit, I too am excitied. I really to try and taste all these hops. In particular the SAAZ. Dont know why, BUT I have this feeling they will superior to even Saaz from Europe.

But all the hops have me interested.

Thats provided Hop Pirates dont attack the ship

Craftbrewer

forget the hop pirates, i'm hoping that your English improves....don't they have high schools in Queensland?

forget the hop pirates, i'm hoping that your English improves....don't they have high schools in Queensland?

I'd say 'enjoy your fishing' but i dont think you set your hook correctly. I think your bait is a little crap.

Ringlish skills are not a high pritory when you are dealing with the Chinese. Money is the only language they need to know. Oh, and how to grow kickass hop crops!

hey!!!!!!!!!!!!! My English is gooder than most. I am happy to ed-u-mar-kate you lot anytime.

Craftbrewer

density.png

Does anyone have specific numbers for these hops? The data in the ordering thread is general (gives ranges but not specific numbers for this crop), so whereabouts will I be able to grab specific AA, etc details?

I'm guessing this questions been asked before, but couldn't be arsed reading the whole thread.

Is their any indication of what the hops are like? Is the Cascade closer to U.S. Cascade or closer to N.Z Cascade?

I'm guessing this questions been asked before, but couldn't be arsed reading the whole thread.

Is their any indication of what the hops are like? Is the Cascade closer to U.S. Cascade or closer to N.Z Cascade?

Nobody really knows, it's probably a different version completely due to different climate

<snip> In particular the SAAZ. Dont know why, BUT I have this feeling they will superior to even Saaz from Europe.
skeptical_hippo.jpg

That's a pretty tall order, dude. Hops, superior in quality to noble hops, for those prices... Uh huh. Would you like to provide any justification for such a feeling, or are you just trying to avoid failure through confidence? Wishing won't make it so.

While I'm keen to see what these hops are like, I don't think anyone should be expecting low cohumulone levels, especially not as low as noble hops.

The Chinese hop industry was set up under the supervision of Czech advisors in the days when the Czechs were good card carrying communist comrades, and let's hope they brought a few cuttings with them as well :icon_cheers:

It's therefore encouraging that one of the varieties on offer is Saaz. We live in hope.

View attachment 32342
While I'm keen to see what these hops are like, I don't think anyone should be expecting low cohumulone levels, especially not as low as noble hops.

Im skeptical to say that Cohumlone levels are the cause for harsh bitterness. Now, I usually assume it does when formulating recipes and have previously avoided early hopping with high co-humlone level hops but practise has proved otherwise for me. Mainly in the case of using US Magnum and Centennial for bittering additons. I know they dont have Cascades levels of cohumulone but is 5% less enough to make a real difference? Thats something im unsure of.

For research done by/at Biturger to test the theory, see this link i found recently: http://www.hopsteiner.com/pdf/EBC%20P16%202007.pdf

It seriously makes me want to throw my theories out the window and bitter with what i damn well please again. Mainly because i only ever add my bittering hops as FWH (just out of convenience and so i dont forget and mix up my additons :p)

Cheers! :icon_cheers:

Methinks I will wait and see what the hop fairy brings me.

Cheers Altstart

Im skeptical to say that Cohumlone levels are the cause for harsh bitterness.
In general it is still true, but yes, there are high-alpha varieties that are challenging the science. That's not to say that it's not true in general still.

It seriously makes me want to throw my theories out the window and bitter with what i damn well please again. Mainly because i only ever add my bittering hops as FWH (just out of convenience and so i dont forget and mix up my additons :p )
Part of your result would be the FWH - another unknown cause of decreased harshness. Fix (Principles of Brewing Science) hints at a 20% reduction in isocohumulone from FWH.

Still, I'm not going to bet my money on an unknown hop being better than Czech Saaz.

Part of your result would be the FWH - another unknown cause of decreased harshness. Fix (Principles of Brewing Science) hints at a 20% reduction in isocohumulone from FWH.
Still, I'm not going to bet my money on an unknown hop being better than Czech Saaz.

Wow thats interesting. So why exactly do people knock FWH then?!? :blink: All i know is i get great hopping results and the only time ive had harsh bittereness was only when i had some tannin extraction. Which i'd mostly attribute to the tannins.

Ultimatly they wont be the same as Czech Saaz but they may be a *better hop with a different profile.

* by better in relation to your own palate and predisposition to hop varieties. e.g. US citrus, floral, earthy etc.

To be honest i couldnt care less if they dont taste anything like Czech Saaz, I'd prefer it if they where like Motoueka! Give me more of a reason to brew with it more often! :lol:

I will knock out of Bohemian Pilsner just for testing purposes however. I am biting at the bit for everyone to start brewing with these bad boys and to see the fruits (hopefully not rotten) of Townsvilles labour!

Do we Know the name of the vessel our hops are sailing on?.

Cheers Altstart

Fourstar has it in one.
Hop growers from other parts of the world will attach a traditional Euro or North American name to their product, but that doesn't mean squat if the hop turns out like New Zealand B Saaz (fortunatley renamed to Motueka which is a nice hop in its own right but not Saaz by any means).

The text attached to a style (Example: Cascade Pale Ale, XXXX Bitter Ale - both lagers) is only just a string of characters. The proof of the pudding is in the eating.

Cheers Altstart

It's a new service which calls in at numerous ports on the way down from China. Rather than sending massive container orders straight to Australian ports it enables the transfer of smaller lower value cargoes at each port, for example Port Moresby or the Solomon Islands and is proving to be a popular alternative to the larger carriers. The name of the ship is:

Hop on Hop off

:icon_cheers:

Oceanic Viking. Should be here soon - it was making a quick drop off of some cargo in Indonesia today and then making headway to Brisbane :ph34r:

Back