Chinese Hops? What Next

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tell you

A lot of Australian producers and suppliers can learn a lot on how to conduct good business relations from China.

The Chinese supplier is utterly brilliant. I get daily e-mails how the processing is going, even the current state of the harvest. Nothing is too much trouble, and they are more than informative about ALL aspects of their industry, from the plantings, varieties, where they source them, how they grow them, chemicals used, what has been harvested, how much, and the processing. All out there and freely given.

Even thou the money is paid, I also get full information on when its shipped to the port, the govt inspections before it leaves etc etc etc.

The hops will arrive at the port from NW china wednesday. After the manditory Govt Inspection to certify it meets all saftey concerns for international exports, It will leave probably next weekend for Aus.

Keeping all up to date

Craftbrewer

You sound surprised Towny :)

You know that in the States, having a Warranty on an item actually means something? And its very easy to get dodgy items replaced free of charge including drop-shipping new item to your door with pre-paid return postage and you just put your broken item in the box...

amazing concepts, and no fighting with stores post sales to get anything fixed :)

Cheers,
Brewer Pete

Following the melamine in milk scare and the lead paint on Mattel toys scares, you can bet that exporters are crossing their t's and dotting their i's . Over there you don't just get named and shamed, you get led in front of a firing squad.

the new ellerslie hop newsletter makes very interesting reading :icon_chickcheers:

great to see someone in the industry keeping us upto date with some factual info :icon_cheers:

Hi Beachy
Thanks for the positive feedback!
We like to keep everyone up to date with the info from our suppliers etc.
We have been sending out crop reports for many years now :)
Thanks Again

We like to keep everyone up to date with the info from our suppliers etc.
We have been sending out crop reports for many years now :)

Yeh, the reports are good, although its always hard to get these reports totally accurate with just a few lines written.

I sent a copy to my Chinese supplier and growers to ask them for a comment. They said the report was right about a drop of 10-15% production.

But the report was wrong about a number of things in China.

1. The drop in production was not due to an oversupply, BUT due to a drought in the growing region that cut back the total yield. Actual planting have gone up.

2. The only hops left on the vine were not due to a labour shortage, BUT due to being poor quality due to the drought.

3. There is no labour shortage. They had no trouble getting labourers aat a cheap price. and labour costs remain the same.

4. Their beer production continues to increase and with that demand for hops.

BUT thanks again for the report. I'll mention it on the next radio show

Craftbrewer

On another thread a few weeks ago someone posted a shot of people carrying plastic bags of draught Tsingtao beer and everyone no doubt took it as a Photo-shopped joke. However it looks like that's they way they buy it over there. Now how would you get it out of the bag I wonder, or just drink with a very long straw?

On another thread a few weeks ago someone posted a shot of people carrying plastic bags of draught Tsingtao beer and everyone no doubt took it as a Photo-shopped joke. However it looks like that's they way they buy it over there. Now how would you get it out of the bag I wonder, or just drink with a very long straw?

Puts a new meaning to BIAB :)

Since we are talking about dung-burgers I thought I would mention some graffiti I saw many years ago inside a toilet cubicle in a MacDonalds restaurant.

"Please flush twice... It's a long way to the kitchen."

:p

This thread has been resurrected:

As we approach the magical day, The Chinese Hop Bulk buy thread is now to be used for the Packing and Despatch related posts only. This current thread is for all those chat posts, like the fact that I am now dreaming about Chinese hops at night :(

Cheers.

:)

I have had worse dreams than that Bribie...

With the delivery day approaching it is a little exciting... I have a few basic grain recipes which shall be hopped with each individual hop type to really see its individual bitterness/aroma.

Exciting times are a comin' !!!! :D

I have to admit, I too am excitied. I really to try and taste all these hops. In particular the SAAZ. Dont know why, BUT I have this feeling they will superior to even Saaz from Europe.

But all the hops have me interested.

Thats provided Hop Pirates dont attack the ship

Craftbrewer

Have you seen a New York cabbie drink coffee? - they keep it in a pouch by the gear stick, and drink it through a straw -often reusing the bag...

...dirty, dirty, dirty eww!

I have to admit, I too am excitied. I really to try and taste all these hops. In particular the SAAZ. Dont know why, BUT I have this feeling they will superior to even Saaz from Europe.

But all the hops have me interested.

Thats provided Hop Pirates dont attack the ship

Craftbrewer
mmm Hop Pirates :icon_drool2:
SexyPirate.png

Back