Chinese Hops? What Next

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anybody already working on some recipes to try these hops out on when they arrive?

Saw a doco recently about sheep farmers giving up in favour of goat. Increase in popularity in the meat and given that a goat can survive "feral" means more profit to the farmer, apparently they're more environmentally friendly too given the reduced need for pasture etc.

Being late in on the debate about the hops I thought I'd throw in a comment (psycho-babble) :p

At the end of the day purchasing hops from China is no different from purchasing them from any other country. Given their properties are based upon their locality there isn't actually anywhere else you can get Chinese hops. You can't get hops that will taste and smell like Chinese hops in the US even if they're the same cultivar for example. It's unfortunate that local stores hadn't thought of the idea earlier or we'd be organising a BB through one of them. Challenging the quality of these hops is moot, given the buy in to the Chinese hop industry from western parties and it having had been established for nearly 100 years (reference provided in previous link ~page 30). I'm going to enjoy my Chinese Cascade and my Chinese Saaz, but you know what I'll still enjoy US Cascade and Czech Saaz, because where else can I get them from, no other hops are going to have their distinct properties!? I'm now also going to have to go and buy a whole bunch of Weyermann and Coopers malt to turn it in to beer, not to mention Fermentis yeast.

Beer it's a global drink. Just that some people can't seem to see the beer for the ingredients.

I'm sure Graham will work out whats best with any refund, I'm also sure most people wouldn't be too concerned about their $1-4 going towards bbq/brews/whatever for the packing crew. Maybe spend it on goats??? :D

How many goats can I fit in a 3kg express post satchel? :p

Depends-
are they inflatable or non-inflatable goats we are talking about???

At the end of the day purchasing hops from China is no different from purchasing them from any other country. Given their properties are based upon their locality there isn't actually anywhere else you can get Chinese hops. You can't get hops that will taste and smell like Chinese hops in the US even if they're the same cultivar for example. It's unfortunate that local stores hadn't thought of the idea earlier or we'd be organising a BB through one of them. Challenging the quality of these hops is moot, given the buy in to the Chinese hop industry from western parties and it having had been established for nearly 100 years (reference provided in previous link ~page 30). I'm going to enjoy my Chinese Cascade and my Chinese Saaz, but you know what I'll still enjoy US Cascade and Czech Saaz, because where else can I get them from, no other hops are going to have their distinct properties!?

You, sir, just won the thread.

And to those who think they do things small in China. Our source is only one producer of many, and they produce each year

our annual volume ---2000 MT of hops pellets and extract

Not bad

Craftbrewer

I would like a 2 hour backrub from Aussie-Chiropractor-Mobile.
I cant find this mob anywhere on google. do they actually exsist? actually in my exeriance, ive never gotten a good rub from a chiro. physio yes. actually i used to have a physio who worked part time with the Australian Ballet. she was awsome at her job. she was also gorgeous

no. she liked chinese hops!!! nah it was her physio skills. probably the best one ive ever had. and ive been going to physios for 14 years. the looks helped though! the funniest physio i ever had was a bloke called...Hans. yes hans the physio. and he spoke with an austrian? accent.

We interrupt this programme to give you this massage from the Swedish Prime Minister

slap
slap
slap
slap....

no. she liked chinese hops!!! nah it was her physio skills. probably the best one ive ever had. and ive been going to physios for 14 years. the looks helped though! the funniest physio i ever had was a bloke called...Hans. yes hans the physio. and he spoke with an austrian? accent.

Was he a friend of Bruno? Did he rub your Kugelsack? (yes, i know Bruno is Austrian)

:icon_chickcheers:

Just trying to work out whether the "one" refers to the skills, or the physio :ph34r:

And to those who think they do things small in China. Our source is only one producer of many, and they produce each year

our annual volume ---2000 MT of hops pellets and extract

Not bad

Craftbrewer

Geez that a lot of poo needed for fertilising :eek:

Cheers

Paul

You, sir, just won the thread.

Yeah, so where's my prize?

16607.5 x 1,330,044,544kg of poop knowing my luck :)

I could have it dumped in a shallow spot in the ocean - the only way I'd ever own my own tropical island

Back