Chinese Hops? What Next

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And from Chinas own mouth, to all those idiots who think China is a back water

"[: because we finish ALL CASCADE with 50MT, the machinery have to be washed fully, and then we take a next step, to process ALL SAAZ, step by step, ALL CLUSTER, NUGGET ............ and so on"

Craftbrewer

Yeah & the chinese never lie.
It's just the appalling human rights violations, the massive pollution & the appalling treatment of workers. Just because they have the internet (although heavily censored), bright lights & machines doesn't make it a first world economy in my eyes.

Cheers

Paul

Manticle, whats a halal butcher?

Halal is the islamic equivalent of kosher (with many similar principles) - a set of guidelines for muslims. Basically it means allowed or permitted and includes dietary requirements in terms of allowable consumed products as well as methods of produce. Some of it is basic like no pork products or alcohol but there are also requirements on how animals are butchered which in my experience seems to result in top quality meat. Just bought an entire week's worth of top quality chicken and lamb for $45 to feed 2 people. At safeway $45 of equivalent quality meat would feed myself and my lady for about 3 days.

There are some differences between halal and kosher but more similarities than differences.

Wikipedia link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halal

kosher and halal: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_and_J...y_laws_compared

Halal is the islamic equivalent of kosher (with many similar principles) - a set of guidelines for muslims. Basically it means allowed or permitted and includes dietary requirements in terms of allowable consumed products as well as methods of produce. Some of it is basic like no pork products or alcohol but there are also requirements on how animals are butchered which in my experience seems to result in top quality meat. Just bought an entire week's worth of top quality chicken and lamb for $45 to feed 2 people. At safeway $45 of equivalent quality meat would feed myself and my lady for about 3 days.

There are some differences between halal and kosher but more similarities than differences.

Wikipedia link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halal

kosher and halal: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_and_J...y_laws_compared

There you go.....learn something new every day. How do you get around the no alcohol part though :icon_drunk:

There you go.....learn something new every day. How do you get around the no alcohol part though :icon_drunk:

I buy my meat from a halal butcher, I buy my bacon from an italian deli and I make my own booze or source it from elsewhere.

I even buy apples for my cider from the arabic fruit market nearby. The halal butcher services muslims and non muslims alike. I'm atheist and have no qualms about buying from them. I assume they have none about selling to me.

I buy my meat from a halal butcher, I buy my bacon from an italian deli and I make my own booze or source it from elsewhere.

I even buy apples for my cider from the arabic fruit market nearby. The halal butcher services muslims and non muslims alike. I'm atheist and have no qualms about buying from them. I assume they have none about selling to me.

That`s not actually a pic of you in your avatar, is it?

stagga.

I recall that Halal meat has been allowed to bleed out facing Mecca. It must also be touched by a Muslim during the process, although not necessarily butchered by one.

It's a pretty awful way to go if you're a sheep. I prefer humanly killed animals (unconcious when throat cut) - but the animals probably don't.

I like bacon, but don't like dog - even though pigs are just as (if not more) intelligent than dogs.

Culture is a funny thing, eh?

Manticle, whats a halal butcher?

Jews call it Kosher.

You have to drive down south to Mawson for the Cedars of Lebanon shop for specialty groceries in Canberra and just next to it is a halal butcher and fresh fruit market. Indian shops and Asian shops are in Belco so covered there

White people created SuperMarkups and feel comfortable shoppng there but ow what a ripp off ride they are getting taken for. I spend most of my time now at Arabic fresh markets and spice shops and Indian market shops with a few Asian groceries thrown in. Nothing like cheaper fresh high quality smooth skinned Ginger fresh as can be at the Asian market next Wollies and then go in Wollies and see nasty half dead dried crappiesr quality Ginger selling for the sky!

Cheers,
Brewer Pete

Edit: Steve I also picked up a kilo of goat from the Indian shop and you can get it fresh as for about $9/kilo and it's so tender and moist it makes lamb look nasty in a nice curry.

I recall that Halal meat has been allowed to bleed out facing Mecca. It must also be touched by a Muslim during the process, although not necessarily butchered by one.

It's a pretty awful way to go if you're a sheep. I prefer humanly killed animals (unconcious when throat cut) - but the animals probably don't.

I like bacon, but don't like dog - even though pigs are just as (if not more) intelligent than dogs.

Hi Nick

I have to do regular service calls at a pig abattoir. The area I visit is in the shed that the pigs get herded through and up the shutes to be killed. The screaming is awful and hearing protection is necessary, the poor brutes are whipped yelled at, and constantly prodded with electric shocks to keep them moving, some for 5 seconds or more. The end result is that they go to their death in a genuine state of terror. There a very intelligent animal and when walking past them I try to avoid eye contact at all costs. I made eye contact several times on my first few visits and its a very disturbing situation (for me anyway) to be in. I don't believe there's any humane way to mass butcher intelligent animals from the animals point of view,and the time leading up to death is probably worse than the death blow itself.

Don't get me wrong its probably the only way to process large numbers of animals through a killing floor quickly, but its definately not humane.
:icon_cheers:

Throat has to be cut in one single motion with a non-serrated blade.
Meat is allowed to drain
Spine must not be severed
Animal must not be diseased
meat must be blessed (name of god pronounced over it prior to slaughter).

I don't think it has to face mecca and the practitioner must be adult and of sound mind. I think there's a tradition with who carries out the slaughter too but I don't want to get confused with kosher so that's not definitive.

Being bred for slaughter is probably pretty awful but ritual slaughter at least lessens the effects of intensive factory farming which is the least humane animal treatment of all.
I prefer free range game and halal meats although I'm not dogmatic about it (hard to find free range deli products and smallgoods).

I that normal wice or fried wice?????

Cool, bring your stuff and I'll do a Imperial CAP or the above mentioned 60/90 minute IPA with my rig - should be an entertaining days brewing :icon_cheers: .

ALDI rice. Ve haf vays of making you brew. What temperature should I mash it at? Shut up, ve ask zer qvestions here.

I buy a fair amount of Halal meat in Fortitude Valley, including Camel which is occasionally available and slaughtered by visiting halal guys at Caboolture abbatoir near here. I believe the animal should not get to see the blade. I saw a sheep being slaughtered halal style when they built a new police station in Alanya, Turkey where I used to work thirty years ago when it was just a small town. The local governor etc came down for the opening ceremony, the guy in the funny hat and the robes killed the sheep swiftly and it hardly uttered a bleat, then as it bled they played pipes lutes and drums and dragged the carcass round the perimeter of the building leaving a trail of blood to bless the building and keep Satan out of it. Then later everyone got pissed on raki and "yeni harman" = "new harvest" of some green hop like material. I had a smoke with the police chief behind the pub.

:icon_drunk:

The new River Cottage DVDs that are out show English city folk being made to look after and then see the free range animals they look after get slaughtered so it's a good watch if you are more rural to see folks find out meat doesn't come from the supermarket shelf. On a small scale they do a quick electrode each side of the head until the animal is unconcious and then slit the throat and bleed while the animal is completely non concious but it's still enough to send some to vegetarian others to organic free range only and some to still not care what quality factory-raised life their food comes from.

Good series for that but otherwise missing a bit of the early River Cottage charm.

Cheers,
Brewer Pete

Edit: Steve I also picked up a kilo of goat from the Indian shop and you can get it fresh as for about $9/kilo and it's so tender and moist it makes lamb look nasty in a nice curry.

Always wanted to try Goat Pete. I frequent a great Indian supermarket in Philip. Theres things in their freezer that look very scary, I just dont ask. Especially the 2 foot long whole fishes that look like nothing else. Might see if they have some goat. Lots of my recipes ask for goat.

Cheers
Steve

Steve,

Goat Curry is usually on every Indian Restaurants non-printed Menu, and its normally a spicy curry :)

You can usually luck out and get any decent shop to cook you up some as that is what most natives ask for. If you are in luck, they actually have it printed on the menu itself as an item to order.

Give it a go, its very soft and tender compared to lamb, nicer flavour, but traditionally it is cooked with bones in and they are razor sharp edges the way they whack them up to put in the curry pot, but oh so worth sucking such succulent meat off the bone :)

Cheers,
Brewer Pete

I remember back to my high school days now, one of the schools goats from the Agriculture section got loose and became roadkill (took a solid hit side on, killed on impact but somehow remained intact).......

Ag teacher's solution, some random goat recipe he got while trekking in Nepal.....

Was very tasty.

Can't be bothered reading through the last few pages, so what's the final price per kilogram on the goat bulk buy?

Back