Chimay Grande Reserve

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captainbrewer

Reaction score
I was lucky enough to be given a bottle of Chimay Grande Reserve (Blue) from my boss this year. It is the 2006 vintage. Can anyone give some tips on the best temperature to drink this at, should it be icy cold? I want to enjoy this with my family this Christmas as dad unfortunately has terminal cancer and he should enjoy what I have been told is one of the best beer experiences about.

What a lovely boss! It better be the longneck :)

The only beers that should be served icy cold are beers you don't really want to taste (i.e. megaswill). It probably should be served cellar temperatures (10C), but you may want to serve it a bit cooler unless your taste buds are used to very strong belgians.

-Adam

I was lucky enough to be given a bottle of Chimay Grande Reserve (Blue) from my boss this year. It is the 2006 vintage. Can anyone give some tips on the best temperature to drink this at, should it be icy cold? I want to enjoy this with my family this Christmas as dad unfortunately has terminal cancer and he should enjoy what I have been told is one of the best beer experiences about.

Captainbrewer. Very sorry to hear about your dad. Enjoy the time you have left. :(

As for the Chimay. Best served around 10 degrees. Drinking it cold will mute a lot of the nice flavours.

Enjoy it. :beer:

Warren -

Also sorry to hear about your Dad Capt. :(
As for the "Blue" and I have 2 in the fridge for a toast on Xmass day and will be served at 6c and let it warm in the glass and sip it untill it's just right :super: LARGE wide glass.
Wait a secound :( I have Screwtop and Monkale arriving for a Belgian taste test in an hour, got to hide them.

Sorry to hear about your Dad. At least this is one way to help him enjoy the time he has left.

I have had the pleasure of drinking Belgian Tapist ales in little alley in Brussels at a bar built in 1700 and something. They serve them in a wide, setmmed glass at about 10deg.
Think of it like this. If VB is Summerwine or some other cheap quaffer than treat this like good port or whiskey. Drink it slowly and enjoy each mouthful. Yes it has a strong taste but you need to relax your pallet between sips.

Have a good Xmas.

Latest posts

Back