Pimping my old local pub - The Beer List

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My brother is making a family tree and we will be in Nth Derbyshire visiting a Great Uncle apparently he still speaks using words like thee, thou, thine, dost and hast. Don't know whether we will be able to understand him.Bulk of our time will be in Scotland, are your pubs in Sheffield, or on the outskirts?

wide eyed and legless said:
My brother is making a family tree and we will be in Nth Derbyshire visiting a Great Uncle apparently he still speaks using words like thee, thou, thine, dost and hast. Don't know whether we will be able to understand him.Bulk of our time will be in Scotland, are your pubs in Sheffield, or on the outskirts?
Ah, North East Derbyshire? Coal mining country before our old Prime Minister Mrs Thatcher closed them all down to buy imported coal. Ancient history - '81 ish.

There are still some oldies who say thee, thou, thine etc. Not so much in my part of town. Sheffield, as a University town has certain areas that get a lot of students from across the country and many stay in the city after graduating. Sort of 'dilutes' things like dialect down over the years.

My pubs are in the South West of the city, only five kilometres from the city centre.

Yes all my mothers side were itinerant coalminers moving between Yorkshire and Derbyshire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2AcJSkUw6M
Ah, the 'Capstick Comes Home' video narrated by BBC Radio Sheffield presenter Tony Capstick. (Deceased) You will find some of the dialect spoken in the video in some parts of Sheffield, especially the nearby town of Barnsley, a big mining area back in't day. Don't you just love the term 'Wazack' :D

If you're spending time in Scotland take plenty of warm clothing. It's still only Springtime and even Scots continue to wear woollen tops in the Summer!

I go to the rugby with a guy from Leeds he is always referring to his wife as a big fat wazack, funny how we have laws governing racism but not what men call their wives, unless it comes under sexism.
I suppose it works both ways though my wife refers to me as some Greek god she calls me her Nemesis.

I go to the rugby with a guy from Leeds he is always referring to his wife as a big fat wazack, funny how we have laws governing racism but not what men call their wives, unless it comes under sexism.
I suppose it works both ways though my wife refers to me as some Greek god she calls me her Nemesis.
Nemesis ... tell me about it :lol:

My family are from Leeds, still have an ageing Auntie and cousins there.

Discussion on Sheff real ale pubs here:
http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1289291

The post by forum member Taxman is worth noting:
http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showpost.php?p=10392227&postcount=4

The pub called Fagans, a few minutes walk from the city centre is interesting historically, a tiny pub with tiny rooms and uneven floors in an area that was inhabited way before my time by Irish migrants. They used to have traditional Irish music nights (Ceildh) but I haven't been in for years so I can only rely on Taxman's comments regarding how it is now.

Nearby Fagans you may well see 'The Ladies of the Night' standing nearby. (i.e undernourished young women looking for money for their next fix)

Sadly.

Photo attached of Fagans. Bit of a dump :D

10180399.jpg

Me old pubs, in song and in the style of the band 'Elbow' - performed live on the roof of the Fat Cat pub by Sheffield band The Everly Pregnant Brothers in an old (ex) industrial part of the city.(Steel) Lots of swearing, Yorkshire humour and banter by the band.

Not trying to show off, Just sharing and hope you enjoy :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Fnt4xW5q3w

Ah Scotland. Greatest country in the world so it is. ;-) I would disagree on Scots wrapping up in summer, quite the opposite, if its above 15C that's a warm day. Any hotter then it's taps aff! :)

Where in Scotland you going, the borders?

One of my locals in Stonehaven (NE) had over 100 Belgium beers on offer. Love that place...

Scotland was a blur, in my life I have met only 2 people who were 2 pot screamers and wanted to fight anybody, one of them was Scottish, my knowing of the above increased by 500% while in Scotland and a couple of these were relatives! Got my phone and wallet lifted, my wife wanted a picture of the statue of Grey-friars Bobby, I think more to prove to her where I was, didn't get that Sessions started in the morning a little sleep in the afternoon then back on it again in the evening.
Hadrian had a lot of foresight building that wall, he must have known that he wouldn't want hordes of drunken Scots invading Twickenham for a Scotland England game, (the Bill Bailey time travel theory)and they really do say the strangest things, 'Is that you up then' when you get up for a piss. Bill Bailey is right.
I did like the smoked ale and Laphroaig whisky chaser.

Back