Pimping my old local pub - The Beer List

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer Ninja

Reaction score
Feast your eyes on this Pub drinks list (note the 30 Belgium's...)

I used to be lucky enough to live 35 minutes walk from this pub. Trouble is it's now 17,031 Kilometres away. Or only 14,591 if you live in Perth ...

Relevant links bottom of the page.

The Rising Sun (Sheffield, England) - Drinks List
Beer on handpumps
Abbeydale Breweries Ales (local independent brewery of the city)
Deception 4.2% ABV (pale)
Brimstone 3.9% ABV (brown)
Moonshine 4.3% ABV (pale)
Absolution 5.3% ABV (pale)
Daily Bread 3.8% ABV (brown)

Draught Lagers and other beers
We have 9 of these and the range includes fruit beers, lagers and a cider. The range may vary from time to time as we determine what sells and maybe ring the changes occasionally. A typical range would be:

Amstel
Warsteiner
Budvar
Erdinger
Timmerman's Strawberry
Timmerman's Peche
Kingstone Press Cider
Guinness

Bottled Beers and continental lagers
We have a range of over 40 of these including more than 30 Belgian beers, including some quite rare ones. In the pub you will find a beer list folder with descriptions of all the beers as well as an introduction to Belgian beer styles and a suggested tasting list for those new to the fabulous range of beers the Belgians have to offer.

Belgium
Abbaye des rocs
Augustijn Grand Cru
Barbar
Cantillon Gueuze & Kriek
Cellis White
Chimay, Red, White & Blue
De Dolle Brouwers Arabier & Oerbier
Delirium Nocturnum & Tremens
Duchess de Bourgogne
Duvel
Frank Boon Framboise, Gueuze & Kriek
John Martin Special Export Guiness
Morte Subite Gueuze & Kriek
Orval
Piraat
Poperinges Hommelbier
Quintine Hercule Stout, Ambree & Blonde
Rochefort 6,8 & 10
Rodenbach & Rodenbach Grand Cru
St Feuillien Blonde & Brune
Timmermans Framboise & Kriek

Germany
Maisels Weiss
Holsten Pils

UK
Gold Label
Newcastle Brown Ale

USA
Anchor Brewing Liberty Ale & Anchor Steam
Goose Island Honkers & IPA
Sierra Nevada Pale Ale

Low Alcohol
Edinger Alcohol Free
Kaliber

The above drinks list taken from here:
http://www.risingsunsheffield.co.uk/rising_sun_drink.html
Homepage:
http://www.risingsunsheffield.co.uk/index.html

Now I've got that off my chest and made you all thirsty, I have to say I'm not a whinger - I'm happy to trade your blue sky and warmth for my old grey sky, cold temperatures and *Pub :D

*Pub. Sort of. :lol:

RSNG_Aug_2007.jpg

He He, I can tell you guys are rendered speechless by the sheer beauty of the drinks list.

Understandably so. :lol:

Yob..call this a food menu

My sort of pub
"Well-behaved dogs and children are welcome provided they are accompanied by a responsible person and kept under control."

DU99 said:
Yob..call this a food menu

My sort of pub
"Well-behaved dogs and children are welcome provided they are accompanied by a responsible person and kept under control."
I've got to admit, the choice of food is a bit sparse to say the least!

DU99 said:
What no australian Beer
The only Aussie beer I've seen in the UK recently is Fosters and that's brewed in in Manchester - 1.2 billion pints a year of it.
http://www.theguardian.com/business/2011/jun/21/fosters-lager-brewed-in-britain

There did used to be Castlemaine XXXX but I can't remember the last time I saw it over there, at least not in the North of England.

I'm told that 'Little Creatures' is a good Aussie beer and it's recently arrived in Kiama at three out of the five watering holes. I might try a glass later today.

I've sadly never seen anything like that over in the UK.

There are heaps of good Aussie wines for sale over there, not to dear either. If we ever bought wine, it would always be an Aussie one.

DU99 said:
Find Foster's here on tap don't think so
Do you mean just in Melbourne?

We've visited Australia on five different occasions over a period of ten years, the sixth and final visit was last year.

Our travels in Aus only extend from Batemans Bay to Forster - a short distance for you guys - seems to me you'll all get in the car for a six hour drive to a a Birthday party or the like and drive back again the same day. In the UK we just wouldn't do it. Distance is relative. That would be a big deal in our little Island. (Plus driving on the heavily congested deathtrap motorways ..... almost forgotten about that...)

Anyway the night is late and I'm afraid I'm rambling a bit - the point I intended to make was I can't remember ever seeing Fosters on tap anywhere between Batemans Bay and Forster.

G'night

I envy that beer selection.
That is about the only good thing with the average Australian pub is that they DONT have Fosters on tap.:)

dicko said:
I envy that beer selection.
That is about the only good thing with the average Australian pub is that they DONT have Fosters on tap. :)
I can't remember how I got on the ramble about Fosters! I never used to drink it either, prefering the darker less hoppy ales and non English European lagers like the Spanish San Miguel and Czechoslovakian Staropramen.

Re the beer selection I have to be honest here (I hope I have not mislead...) The Rising Sun is not a typical UK pub.
In fact in all my years I've never seen a selection like that ever in a pub. It just happens to be run by a local little independent brewery.

Most pubs in the UK are 'chain' pubs run by large organisations. They will also own many other pubs.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pub_chain

Beer Ninja said:
I used to be lucky enough to live 35 minutes walk from this pub.
That's another thing you rarely find in Australia from my experience, that someone actually goes to the effort and walks all that way to and from the pub.

Florian said:
That's another thing you rarely find in Australia from my experience, that someone actually goes to the effort and walks all that way to and from the pub.
I'd noticed that, most people leave the pub and jump into a taxi :)

I still walk to and from the pub, twenty five minutes each way. The exercise is good. Mind you, there are some hills in Kiama I wouldn't consider walking up. My home town of Sheffield is very hilly but parts of Kiama make it look like a slope...

Last time I was in Sheffield the pub tap fare was John Smith, lager, lager, lager and Black Sheep if you were lucky. Long gone were Stones and Wards :unsure:
Glad things are picking up there.

I agree about the distances. I moved down to Old Bar (just north of Forster Tuncurry) from Bribie Island. Hop in the car and it's just an 8 hour run, stop for Maccas on the way down.

Emailing my brother in Gateshead I tried to put it in context for him and realised it was similar to hopping in the car in Newcastle and breezing down to Exeter... no pom in their right mind would contemplate that without a full car service and five (just in case) new tyres :D

Happily I now live in a real little village and only five mins from the RSL Bowls club for White Rabbit and James Squire on tap. :beerbang:

Bribie G said:
Last time I was in Sheffield the pub tap fare was John Smith, lager, lager, lager and Black Sheep if you were lucky. Long gone were Stones and Wards :unsure:
Glad things are picking up there.

I agree about the distances. I moved down to Old Bar (just north of Forster Tuncurry) from Bribie Island. Hop in the car and it's just an 8 hour run, stop for Maccas on the way down.

Emailing my brother in Gateshead I tried to put it in context for him and realised it was similar to hopping in the car in Newcastle and breezing down to Exeter... no pom in their right mind would contemplate that without a full car service and five (just in case) new tyres :D

Happily I now live in a real little village and only five mins from the RSL Bowls club for White Rabbit and James Squire on tap. :beerbang:
Yes, Sheffield brews Stones and Wards are long gone from the scene. I have heard that Stones can be got as a guest beer but haven't seen it myself. I don't know if they still brew Wards.

As you say, the emphasis is on lagers in many pubs.

Re an eight hour drive, many people in the UK wouldn't consider it. Not even for their holidays. Especially on the M1 and M5 in the holiday season.

I'll look out for the White Rabbit and James Squire....

On the subject of the M5. The place can be a death trap. Overly congested, people tailgating. And here's the result...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyF8ebbrAtE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRG9iTFrjF0

Black ice is a nice experience as well.

Wards was bought by Vaux of Sunderland, then the parent group who were a hotel chain decided to go out of brewing around the turn of the Century and just run the real estate side of the business.
Stones was bought by Bass Charrington that's passed onto Molson Coors .. they still do a canned tribute version that's probably crap.

Bribie G said:
Black ice is a nice experience as well.

Wards was bought by Vaux of Sunderland, then the parent group who were a hotel chain decided to go out of brewing around the turn of the Century and just run the real estate side of the business.
Stones was bought by Bass Charrington that's passed onto Molson Coors .. they still do a canned tribute version that's probably crap.
I arrived in Sheffield in 1981 from my 'Birth Town' of Dewsbury. I seem to remember about that time the Sheffield locals were grumbling that the grain bill of Stones (or 'Stoneses' as they called it) had changed and the ABV lowered.

Did you ever try hand pulled Tetley Bitter? Many Pub Landlords didn't keep it properly, but there was just one pub in Dewsbury, The Market Tavern, where the Tetleys was completely different. It settled slowly and was so silky, milky smooth that you could down a pint in two goes. Some did it in one, but that was just plain greedy :D

Tetleys was usually two bitter for me but I could always drink it in the Market Tav.

Going over to the U.K on Tuesday with my brother, (rap over the knuckle from my wife took me a couple of weeks to tell her) but I will be going about 30 mins away from The Rising Sun and we are considering going there, having checked out a few pubs which will be on our travels, a lot of them have huge beer lists one boasts over a hundred continental beers. Really looking forward to this trip.

wide eyed and legless said:
Going over to the U.K on Tuesday with my brother, (rap over the knuckle from my wife took me a couple of weeks to tell her) but I will be going about 30 mins away from The Rising Sun and we are considering going there, having checked out a few pubs which will be on our travels, a lot of them have huge beer lists one boasts over a hundred continental beers. Really looking forward to this trip.
It will be interesting to hear your feedback on The Rising Sun and the other pubs!

My old local The Porter Brook is worth a look in, five minutes ride away on Ecclesall Rd. They have about six or seven hand pulled ales from around the country.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/The+Porter+Brook/@53.36857,-1.498404,3a,90y,153h,90t/data=!3m5!1e1!3m3!1sWheG1Pn3YLEAAAQDMawytA!2e0!3e2!4m2!3m1!1s0x4879826d090ff2fd:0x3fc9be2ded65785b!6m1!1e1

You can use Googles 'look inside' linked above and wander around the pub by dragging the mouse around the screen.

Ask for JP (John Paul) behind the bar (tall skinny bloke) and tell him Mick in Aus sent you. If he looks blank just say Mick from The Good, The Bad and The Ugly team - I was The Good) :D

Safe journey, happy drinking!

Latest posts

Back