Cask and Hand-pump

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Right, finally setup now although the tube/airater setup might get tweaked.

Out side is some mdf screwed onto a pine frame and spray painted.
image.jpg

About 5 mins after pouring an English Bitter.
image.jpg

Cube lid modification, weldless ball lock gas post. Now I can pull a few pints and just top up the co2 headspace when needed. The reg doesn't get set any higher than 3psi and I don't leave it connected.

image.jpg

The head wasn't as dense as I was after but still pretty happy with it.

Nice setup mate. Just watched Michael Jacksons Beer Hunter episode "Best of British" and keen to pull out my hand pump again.

Found some pics from when I last used it on St Paddy's. The stand is the right height for a tallie.

1437602433505.jpg

1437602470875.jpg

U pullin the beer from the bottom of the container Tahoose? Where the tap normally would be?

Midnight Brew said:
What was the price you fellas paid for the Valterra pump?
Thinking of buying one. The cheapest I can find is $50 including postage and exchange rate through amazon from the US.

Anyone know anywhere else?

If others in Melbourne are interested and these are the cheapest I might order a few.

This thread has me pumped (boom-tis) for the kegerator upgrade!

I kind of hope I don't win the beer engine on ebay now, those velterra setups look nice and compact (and better on the bank balance),and that re-purposed DVD/CD stand is the ducks,

So I finally tapped a 5L collapsible cube to try her out. A picture is worth 1000 words.

IMG_2968.JPG

Also having a leak from this point. Anyone else come across this?

IMG_2969.JPG

What have you guys got for line length between your 'cask' and the engine. Mine is about 1.5m and it takes about 10-15 pulls for a pint. How many pumps does it take you fellas?

:icon_offtopic: it takes about 10-15 pulls for a pint. How many pumps does it take you fellas?
Let the earthy British humour ensue....F'nur..F'nur.... :rolleyes:

Hey all, back from a long break. Did try and procure a beer engine on the cheap whilst in the UK but didn't have much luck. Had a chat with a head brewer at a local brewery and got to tap a cask at a real ale pub though.

Tahoose said:
Hey all, back from a long break. Did try and procure a beer engine on the cheap whilst in the UK but didn't have much luck. Had a chat with a head brewer at a local brewery and got to tap a cask at a real ale pub though.

Tried to snaffle a beer engine when I was in Pomgolia myself with the same result as you,cagey bunch. :)

In your absence you haven't missed a whole heck of a lot....unless you are considering doing electrical wiring, it's.......

Midnight Brew said:
So I finally tapped a 5L collapsible cube to try her out. A picture is worth 1000 words.

attachicon.gif
IMG_2968.JPG

Also having a leak from this point. Anyone else come across this?

attachicon.gif
IMG_2969.JPG

What have you guys got for line length between your 'cask' and the engine. Mine is about 1.5m and it takes about 10-15 pulls for a pint. How many pumps does it take you fellas?
It does take 10 to 15 pulls but there is a way around this, I have posted this before in a similar thread using 2 valterra pumps.
Here is the link.
http://www.gcspublishing.com/newsletter/Homemadebeerengine.pdf

So got my beer engine set up - just bolted to a freebie bedside table, but works a treat.

beerengine.jpg

Ordered a couple of 10L collapsible water containers from Supercheap Auto.

346663-zoom.jpg

I filled one tonight with my English bitter and the rest I decided to bottle as there wasn't quite enough to go into a keg. Well, there was but for the sake of kegging 7L of beer, thought I might as well bottle it.

Filled the polypin/collapsible water container up to the brim, squashed it down a bit to get all the excess air out and I think it's pretty much good to go. I've stuck it in my fermenting fridge which is sitting about 17c - I'm currently fermenting an IPA. I think I'll condition it for a week - will drop the temperature of my fermenting fridge down to about 14c after the IPA has fermented a bit longer - and then hook it up and have a taste. Ideally it'd be a couple of degrees colder but what can you do. I've got beer to ferment. The idea of two small fridges rather than the one tall fridge is becoming more and more appealing as time goes on.

Possibly might have to have a sneaky taste this weekend though. Because, well, you've got to really.

Got a proper northern neck on my beer engine and will be dispensing the beer WITH sparkler. Because I'm not a shandy drinking southern fairy.

Been working my way through the Cellarmanship book, just read about a simcup beer pump, basically a small beer engine that attaches to the cask.

The thing looks awesome, shame it seems like they were phased out in the 60's or 70's..

Looks great Welly. A small cheap bar fridge would be the way to go.
Watch out for that Diacetyl :ph34r:

Tahoose said:
Been working my way through the Cellarmanship book, just read about a simcup beer pump, basically a small beer engine that attaches to the cask.

The thing looks awesome, shame it seems like they were phased out in the 60's or 70's..
I've seen those in use in a pub in Cornwall back in about 75, it was right on the waterfront and didn't have a cellar so the beer was served straight from the casks that sat on stillages behind the bar.
Thanks for unearthing what they actually were, a lot of people have thought I was making the whole thing up.

Latest posts

Back