Cask and Hand-pump

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So all my bits of gear arrived and I put it together the other day. I could not find the right size taps anywhere (I tried quite a few places). I ended up stretching the hose end to fit on the larger taps. Not ideal but works for the moment.

I got it working and tried it out by putting a couple of bottles into a polypin.
IMG_20140802_165636.jpg

Pretty happy with how it has turned out. The 5L polypins fit nicely under the mini half barrel. The setup is really portable as well. Music festivals and camping is going to rock with this baby.

I have my first polypin conditioning in the laundry at the moment. It is a IIPA, not really what I indented the pump for, but what I had ready to bottle. I have a stout ready to bottle this weekend. Excited :)

To fit the aerator on my tube, I used a 13mm vinyl tube joiner. You can get them in the irrigation section of bunnings and cost about $1.30. The aerator fits in this with a little help from hot water, and then this goes over the silicon tube.

Had the day off today and finished up my hand pump, just need to find some clamps to make it mobile, screwed to the bar at the moment.

Did a side by side test with a stout and it is so creamy and light through the pump, compared to the bottle. The flavours seems to rely mellow out and blend alot nicer as well.
Will be racking a English Bitter to my 5L water [SIZE=11pt]collapsible[/SIZE] containers tomorrow, cant wait to try them.

rocket2.jpg

rocket3.jpg

rocket.jpg

My hand pump showed up today...I'll have to put something together this weekend

bricho the head on your beer seems pretty big, had you already carbonated the beer you used ? Also your hose doesn't seem long enough for you to be able to pour from the bottom.

yeah that was a stout i had bottled and carbed at about 5.5 grams a litre, i just poured a couple of long necks into a jug, couldnt wait to test it. Still so much lighter and smoother after going through the pump.
I may have to extended the hose if i keep using those glasses, is it best to be pouring from the bottom of the glass?

I have a non carbed ESB style beer to test soon.

Always from the bottom, or you'll always get a half pint head.

You'll be fine once you add the suggested extension. Obviously, make it long enough to reach the bottom of your tallest glasses (that one↑, I assume).

And that carbonation is probably a bit high. Knock some out if you do the same thing again, otherwise try 3-4g next brew.

Looking good though, mate.

I love my hand pump. Without doubt, my favourite thing I owned brewing-wise.

That's all I wanted to say!

Cheers,
Jase

Not sure what I was originally looking at to find my way to this thread but I have to say there are some great suggestions here. I was looking at engines around a year ago and just couldn't cope with the costs, but now, lets just say there are some pumps on the way from amazon and I'm excited to put some beer through them soon.

Cheers

:)

Sounds great just make sure you chuck up some pics once it's all rigged up.

Just about to tuck into a fullers a ESB.. (When it warms up a little)

Also forgot to ask where people have bought those cute little half barrels from? :D

Cheers

I haven't bought one myself, but I have seen them at my local home Timber and hardware

Crouch said:
Also forgot to ask where people have bought those cute little half barrels from? :D

Cheers
Got mine from bunnings... Outside in the plant section.

Rambo said:
Got mine from bunnings... Outside in the plant section.
Thanks Rambo ... heading there a little later today for something else, so will have a look.

Cheers

So I've found myself on this thread again. This got pushed back so far on the to-do list that I completely forgot about it.

Seeing as winter proper will be here soon, I'm vowing to to give this a crack. That and I have a spare keg!

Stay tuned.

Is your setup likely to be portable? Will you rig-up something that will connect directly to standard ball-lock keg connections?

I've been thinking about putting-on a few 45L casks of Real Ale for the Case Swap/Bummock & was just planning on laying the kegs on their side & using natural carbonation to serve them (then gently topping-up serving pressure from my gas bottle as pressure is released from the anticipated "extensive" drinkage-action!).

I used to do this years ago with a few extra bits & pieces & a ball-valve as the tap, but if you've got a portable hand-pump, maybe we could pool resources & get something else happening? Just thinking outside the square.....

I wasn't thinking so at first but I'll try and come up with a way to make it so.

I'll make it to suit ball lock setups. I'm going to use one of those valterra pumps.

Ideas in progress for now, but I've bought the pump so that's a start.

Back