Cask and Hand-pump

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have both LB, a beer engine from the UK and the Valtera the only difference I have found is the beer engine is less pulls, I have put a link in this thread where one guy crudely used 2 Valtera pumps and used linkage so they both worked of one handle, a project I would still like to do. A plus for the Valtera is its mobility going to a BBQ is no problem for taking a valtera set up with you.
Another plus is it is a good way for the uninitiated to give cask beer a go before committing to a major outlay.
It is pleasing to see so many wanting to give it a go, I have often thought why would we go to so much trouble to make a real beer then force carb it and serve it at a ridiculously low temperature.

Yep, I agree there WEaL. I suppose I was lucky in the fact my engine cost me a pint and a tenner while I was in York. The point I was making is that if you can afford an Engine, go for it, if not the Valtera is a great option. I had experimented with the syringe method which got me started with real ales. Our trip to the UK only confirmed what I already knew.
The one big difference is the WOW factor. I generally dont go for that but this one is different.
I am thinking of taking the Engine camping this summer, got to easier than carting kegs and gas around, so maybe I might still go with a Valtera pump setup for camping.
Cheers
LB

Hi lael,
Relaxed Brewer got his Valtera pump with spare seal and hose inc shipping for around $60, even if you bought a reconditioned beer engine from the UK on eBay, the shipping is the killer they are big heavy units, Grain and Grape sell them see link

http://www.grainandgrape.com.au/products/search?search=beer+engine

So you can see there is a massive difference in costs.

I'm going to get Dad to ask at a few pubs back home in Lancs. Maybe there are one or two engines in cellars which are unwanted...hopefully !

I used to work in two pubs and he's been practically part of the decor in 5 or so over the past 30 years, so I've a chance.

I had a really good hand-pulled pint of Holgate UXB the other day and it's got me thinking.

I'm designing a 2-3 perlick tap font keezer atm...and in my head, it's now got a beer engine sprouting from it.

haha danwood, I've had similar thoughts, but seeing as I just made my keezer a couple of months ago I think a small fridge for the hand pump might be the go... Seeing as I'll want a different temp anyway.

I shouldn't have these thoughts, it will get me into trouble..

I might just have a contact who could get me a beer engine.

The temp. thing may be an issue, but I often brew UK beers and don't mind a slightly warmer serving of hoppy American styles.
Plus, I've never brewed a lager and have no future plans to. I don't like the pilsner malt /DMS/corn thing mainly.

So, keezer with a horn it is !

Just got a quote from UPS for the a bunch of different sized polypins and they wanted $150 for shipping. How much was the shipping for others?

I might have to look into getting collapsable water bags from somewhere else.

Your all a bunch of bad influences, i just bought myself one of these pumps for abit of fun while i try track down a real engine.

For the water bags, i found the below on ebay and thought i would give them a shot. $29 for 6 5L containers. Shipped from VIC, Hoppers Crossing. 1 set of 6 left for anyone?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=271549189261&ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:AU:3160

Is Napisan ok to use to get rid of any plastic smell?

Any recommendations for a good real ale recipe.

You know that old adage. 'From a little bit of bad comes something good'

On Line Brewing supplies suggested Sodium Bi Carb in an earlier post to get rid of the plastic smell.

haha.. I had just found them as well. I ordered a set too. Not sure about the tap size as they did not give it in the description so they might need to be replaced.
I think I might try some 10L ones from china as well.

I think Bicarb or citric acid is better than napisan for removing smells.

Just to whet appetites, here is a photo of my EIPA, based on Worthingtons White Shield, pulled freshly from the hand pump.

EIPA.JPG

I think i have found my next project as my favourite craft beers so far have been from a hand pump

U guys using these collapsible water containers as one use only, or u fukin around trying to clean after every brew?

They wouldn't be any different to cleaning a cube. Fill with nappysan, leave 24 hours, rinse, starsan. I'm using a keg for now though, and just topping up with CO2 after evey session.

AaronP said:
I currently have a couple of polypins that I picked up the last time I was in the UK and have been using them for gravity pouring of my real ales. I'm seriously considering taking the next step and connecting them to one of the Valtera pumps. The only thing stopping me is this comment from here: http://byo.com/stories/item/594-enjoy-the-real-thing-cask-conditioned-ale "Hand pulling beer is inconvenient for one or two glasses of beer. It’s best to use a beer engine when you have a decent number of beer lovers around, to make the effort worthwhile."
Do those of you that use pumps consider that statement to be true?
Been thinking about this, and I think the opposite is true. Since there is a bit of beer line sitting outside the fridge (and I think the pump holds a bit of beer in it as well), it would be better to be regularly using it rather than just once in a while. It takes a little more effort to top up the CO2 (if thats the path you take), but its worth it.

S.E said:
Yep a syringe works really quite well. Guinness brought out bottled draught Guinness in Ireland years ago and supplied a syringe with the six pack but stopped selling them after the draught widget was invented for cans.Cheers Sean
I am surprised, tried the syringe method on a milk stout and it is quite effective. Need to work proportion of stout to air a bit better but very interesting.image.jpgimage.jpg

Now I did this by attaching the marinade needle, submerging it to near the bottom and giving a quick squirt of stout and air. Lot better.
Cheersimage.jpgimage.jpg

Latest posts

Back