Bunnings Fermenter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know everyone has a budget and these days most are in the red and sometimes even 16 bucks is hard to get and means going without something else. I just thought I would point out the saving.

The fermenters are equipment that should last at least 2 years. There are users on this site that have been using them for more than 10 years.

Lets say you only used it for 2 years before tossing in the bin and you brewed every 2 weeks. So lets say you got 50 brews off the fermenter allowing for being on holidays or whatever. The price difference quoted here is $34, 16 to $50. So it works out at 68 cents a brew.

Things that can really save money are those things used every brew like chemicals and ingredients. So using less chemicals by using correct addition rates, or focussing on efficiency to reduce malt bills or carefully managing your yeasts.

Fear_n_Loath

Do the same maths over the same period of how much you have saved by brewing :D

it didn;t cost you $16, it saved you a couple of thousand

Does anyone know which of these plastics might contain BPA?

I know that BPA (Bisphenyl A) is not very soluble in water, but very soluble in organic solvents (and my assumption is ethanol too - it being a common organic solvent).

Anyone looked into this?

My (AHB provided) understanding is that HDPE does not have any BPA. BPA is used in some clear plastics for such unimportant products as baby bottles and drinking water and the like.

I picked up a square one a few weeks ago, 30L too instead of 25L. I'm going to get another one if I can find one as the square shape has a lower height profile so I can then fit two fermentors better in my ferm fridge.

IMG_0542.JPG

Are you please able to post a pic of the top. I want to see how the plastic-wrap job has been applied.
Cheers.

If it's the same as the ones up here, they have the same round lid as per the round drum

If it's the same as the ones up here, they have the same round lid as per the round drum

I don't have a pic of the top handy, but yeah as QldKev said, its the same top as the 25L round BWM plastics vessels. The lids are exactly the same.

What are the dimensions of it?

Basically the same size as the round 25L(same height, similar width I think), but the square shape gives you an extra 5L capacity. I can get exact dimensions tonight if you like?

Yeah I would love that if you could. Particularly the height and maybe a couple of photos? Is it easy to clean?

Yeah I would love that if you could. Particularly the height and maybe a couple of photos? Is it easy to clean?

Yep simple to clean, has the same red lid and wide opening as the round BWM plastic containers from Bunnings(its the same brand). I'll grab some measurements tonight.

Cheers mate, reason I ask is obviously sometimes cubes have ridges on the bottom for stacking. I assume this one has a flat bottom with smooth corners so should be as easy to clean as a round fermenter.

I currently use the round ones but would love the extra headroom of a 30L fermenter, but I use bar fridges to ferment in so worried about dimensions.

+1

Although I got a surprise when I unscrewed the bung to screw the tap in. NO hole there which was a bit weird! Nothing that the drill couldnt fix up though!!

Basically the same size as the round 25L(same height, similar width I think), but the square shape gives you an extra 5L capacity. I can get exact dimensions tonight if you like?
Where can you buy them from?

How do you use an airlock with these? And if the answer is you dont, then how do you know when they fermentation process is complete?

Sorry if this sounds rather simple, yet to do my first brew, just on the reading stage at the moment.

Next is buying, then comes brewing!

How do you use an airlock with these? And if the answer is you dont, then how do you know when they fermentation process is complete?

Sorry if this sounds rather simple, yet to do my first brew, just on the reading stage at the moment.

Next is buying, then comes brewing!

You can use an airlock if you wish but it will just require a hole to be drilled and the rubber bung and airlock installed. Most people just use a bit of glad wrap rubberbanded on or just back the lid of a turn or 2. You use a hydrometer/refractometer to tell you fermentation is finished so which method you use is irrelevant as the readings give you the info you need. If you are relying on your airlock to inform you of fermentation stage you are in for some disappointments and potential bottle bombs if your not careful.

Ok few things.

most important DONT! rely on your airlock to tell you the brew is finished. You buy a hydrometer and then measure the gravity of the wort when its the same for 3 or more days then its ready. I leave my brew about 8-10 days before checking the gravity then again in 3 days if its the same its right to bottle if not then wait another day or 2 and check again.

Many people use glad wrap. You put this over the top of the fermenter and then use the O ring inside the lid to secure it down. Or if you really want to use a airlock drill a hole and buy a spare airlock grommet and fit it in

Ok few things.

most important DONT! rely on your airlock to tell you the brew is finished. You buy a hydrometer and then measure the gravity of the wort when its the same for 3 or more days then its ready. I leave my brew about 8-10 days before checking the gravity then again in 3 days if its the same its right to bottle if not then wait another day or 2 and check again.

Many people use glad wrap. You put this over the top of the fermenter and then use the O ring inside the lid to secure it down. Or if you really want to use a airlock drill a hole and buy a spare airlock grommet and fit it in

Ok thanks guys.
So when i check the gravity, its ok to let air into the fermenter to get the sample?

I think you have sold me on the bunnings bin rather than the $80 brew kit!

you will need more then the fermenter. You will need a hydrometer, spoon, sanitiser and cleaning agents, then if bottling a bottling wand and a bottle brush then bottles and caps.

I found a airlock a pain as if you move the fermenter or draw a sample or try pull it out it will suck the liquid back into the fermenter so I dont think they are the best things.

when you take a sample you take it from the tap and if its still fermenting it will be letting of C02 so the air will be forced out. The little bit that does get in should be fine.

Cheers mate, reason I ask is obviously sometimes cubes have ridges on the bottom for stacking. I assume this one has a flat bottom with smooth corners so should be as easy to clean as a round fermenter.

I currently use the round ones but would love the extra headroom of a 30L fermenter, but I use bar fridges to ferment in so worried about dimensions.

Ok, rough measurements coz its in my ferm fridge and my big steel ruler doesn't quite fit in there properly! But its about 450mm high by 300mm wide and deep.

Here's some more pics for ya:

IMG_0543.JPG

Flat bottom profile for easy cleaning!
IMG_0544.JPG

I'm using glad wrap at the moment coz I lost the air lock grommet. But here is the lid.
IMG_0545.JPG

Latest posts

Back