Bunnings Fermenter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wrath

Reaction score
Guys,

As my fermenters are all currently loaded, I have just bought one of the $16 25L red lid camper drums from bunnings with the view to use this as a secondary vessel. Now the new drum has quite a strong plastic odour inside, I have given it a soak with pink neo to try and remedy this but has not seemed to make any difference.

I am wondering if I was to rack into this, would the drum impart some plastic odours into my beer?

If people have used/are currently using one of these as a fermenter, any feedback would be appreciated as to how you got around it, or if I should even be concerned about it?

Cheers

Suds

Guys,

As my fermenters are all currently loaded, I have just bought one of the $16 25L red lid camper drums from bunnings with the view to use this as a secondary vessel. Now the new drum has quite a strong plastic odour inside, I have given it a soak with pink neo to try and remedy this but has not seemed to make any difference.

I am wondering if I was to rack into this, would the drum impart some plastic odours into my beer?

If people have used/are currently using one of these as a fermenter, any feedback would be appreciated as to how you got around it, or if I should even be concerned about it?

Cheers

Suds

I bought a couple last year and they're still going fine. I wouldve just cleaned with a boiling water rinse. No probs at all. I use them for primary and I no chill in them too.
Cheers
Steve

Guys,

Cheers

Suds

I think this is the most used fermentor on this site. Drop some unscented nappisan mix in it for a couple of hours and all will be good. Most also throw away the lid and cover the top with gladwrap, using the lid seal as an elastic band to hold it in place.

QldKev

Don't throw the lid away. Glad wrap is great but lids are useful for when you want to shake your cleaning/sanitising solutions around inside.

Don't throw the lid away. Glad wrap is great but lids are useful for when you want to shake your cleaning/sanitising solutions around inside.

are we supposed to clean these... ?

QldKev

Cool, so that means these are on special at the moment? I need a second fermenter - and paying the ridiculous prices my LHBS wants (over 50 bucks for just the fermenter) is just not an option right now. Cheers!

Cool, so that means these are on special at the moment? I need a second fermenter - and paying the ridiculous prices my LHBS wants (over 50 bucks for just the fermenter) is just not an option right now. Cheers!
Even better, suggest you visit Menzels - they're on South Rd, roughly between Cross/Daws Rds.
They have fermenters that are HDPE (whereas cant tell with the Bunnings ones) and comparable
if not cheaper - and heaps of other plastic things usable for brewing.

T.

Edit: THIS is their price list

are we supposed to clean these... ?

QldKev

I try and make sure mine isn't full of crud. Beyond that it's basically getting the same treatment as the fermenter and as it's not being used in actual fermentation, it's pretty easy to maintain.

I've got 3 of the bunnings fermenters, going strong. If they start going funny there is only $15 to get a newby :)

Even better, suggest you visit Menzels - they're on South Rd, roughly between Cross/Daws Rds.
They have fermenters that are HDPE (whereas cant tell with the Bunnings ones) and comparable

T.

You are my new hero. That's walking distance from my place. I can't find the barrels in the pic on their price list, but meh - I need the exercise so I'll head down and check it out now. Cheers!

I have 3 of these fermenters also. My trick is to use a no brand plain bleach (not lemon) let it soak for overnight. Then give a good rinse with very hot water. Works a treat. Also if you use a very sharp blade and trim off any dags at the top of the fermentor the lids seal perfectly.

Edit - Another thing I do is after a ferment and a blast with the pressure cleaner I leave my fermentors out in the sun (lid off) for a day. No residual smell

Not open on Sunday (of course - doh). But just peering through the window I saw at least half a dozen different containers that'd do the job. Hopefully my flatmate can scam me that free container tonight though.

T.

thank you, thank you, thank you

will check them out one day when I am that side of town :)

thank you, thank you, thank you

will check them out one day when I am that side of town :)

Drop us a line when you do. If I have anything (I'm not ashamed to offer ;) ) we could perhaps have an impromptu tasting session.

Not open on Sunday (of course - doh). But just peering through the window I saw at least half a dozen different containers that'd do the job. Hopefully my flatmate can scam me that free container tonight though.
There were suggestions on using other containers for brewing including
those used for non-food material in that other thread. I have read that
plastic is generally porous at the microscopic level so there will be some
of the previously stored material soaked into the plastic that will leach out
and make it very hard to clean completely. I would avoid anything used
to store non-food material.

T.

If you are worried about this - shell out for a better bottle. Completely odourless and inert. I dont trust ordinary plastic in general for brewing.

The Geelong Aussie disposals has 30l and 60l water barrels for $20 and $40 respectively, I didn't notice any smell when I got mine... just an overnight soak with ALDI napisan and It was good to go.

The best thing for getting the plastic smell out of new containers is Bicarb Soda, throw a couple of tablespoons in with a few litres of water, shake it like mad for a few mins, give it a rinse and the smell is gone.

i have bought many of these 'fermenters' in the past with no problems but i'v bought one today and it has a really overpowering strong plastic smell. i'v already rinced with water, boiling water ande oxy soap and it's still there. i'm trying to soak for a few hours now with oxy soap so i'll see how that goes. might be a good idea to give the things a smell befor you buy them. you might look strange but who cares, better than plastic beer.

-Phill

Back