Advice with pure O2

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Muz

Reaction score
For the last couple of years I've used Kegland pure O2 to oxygenate my lagers and high OG beers (anything with liquid yeast). I really think this has improved my fermentations and I'd like to continue to do this. I've recently exhausted my Kegland disposable O2 cylinder and it doesn't look like they will be stocking them again any time soon. So I'm looking for alternatives.

I've been looking at these from Bunnings: https://www.bunnings.com.au/coregas-trade-n-go-gas-size-d-oxygen-gas_p5910224

Before shelling out $79 (+$200 deposit) for the tank I need to make sure I have the right regulator and connections. I have a flow meter (also from KL, with duotight connections). Would this regulator work to go from tank to evabarrier beer/gas line? The reg says it's a type 10 connection but the bunnings tanks say FA about the connection: Type 10 - MK4 Regulator O2, Ar, He (6.5bar PRV & 100psi Gauge)

I have posted a blog on here from The Travelling Brewer he was a brewer for Anheuser Busch. He travelled around USA giving talks to home brewers. One of the things he suggested was making a large starter on a stir plate, stirring for 4 or 5 days before pitching building up enough cells to pitch directly into the wort.

I have posted a blog on here from The Travelling Brewer he was a brewer for Anheuser Busch. He travelled around USA giving talks to home brewers. One of the things he suggested was making a large starter on a stir plate, stirring for 4 or 5 days before pitching building up enough cells to pitch directly into the wort.
That's interesting, I would think the wort would get oxidized stiring for days without yeast, maybe the volume is small enough or he pours the beer off before adding the starter.

I usually make a good sized starter but add the yeast before stiring, also put the starter in the fermenter before adding the wort and add the wort very slowly so it splashes a lot and gets oxygenated that way. Most of my brews start fermenting within a few hours using this method. I have healthy yeast, strong fermentation complete in 5 days with most ales and a couple of weeks with lagers.

I used to aerate with a fish tank pump and air stone while adding the wort but found this produced too much foam in the fermenter and I couldn't fit the lid so stopped doing it, not noticed any difference in fermentation.

Industrial oxygen smells, you might want food grade if you can get it.

That's interesting, I would think the wort would get oxidized stiring for days without yeast, maybe the volume is small enough or he pours the beer off before adding the starter.

I usually make a good sized starter but add the yeast before stiring, also put the starter in the fermenter before adding the wort and add the wort very slowly so it splashes a lot and gets oxygenated that way. Most of my brews start fermenting within a few hours using this method. I have healthy yeast, strong fermentation complete in 5 days with most ales and a couple of weeks with lagers.

I used to aerate with a fish tank pump and air stone while adding the wort but found this produced too much foam in the fermenter and I couldn't fit the lid so stopped doing it, not noticed any difference in fermentation.

Industrial oxygen smells, you might want food grade if you can get it.
No, the starter has the yeast and he builds the starter for 4 to 5 days before pitching the starter into the wort.

Similar result, the starter would get oxidized after the yeast have done fermenting.
The yeast isn't fermenting, it's re producing, it needs the oxygen for the cell membrane, sterols and other compounds, it doesn't necessarily take up all the oxygen but excess oxygen will be scrubbed out during fermentation when the yeast goes into the anaerobic stage.

Yeah, I make large starters at times too (whenever I use liquid yeast. dry yeast doesn't need O2). I don't let them spin that long though. Usually 48-72 hours and then I turn off the stir plate for another 24 hours so the yeast separates out. Over the 48-72 hours the starter builds up some krausen and then it dies away. I've always assumed when the bubbles are gone from the top the yeast are done multiplying.

When doing imperial stouts, quads or lagers I also add O2. This increases the yeast a second time but I don't think you can have too much healthy yeast with these styles.

Interesting side comment. I hear a lot of people say their yeast are super happy as they see visual signs of fermentation within x hours. I've found, when I add oxygen, active fermentation is actually delayed. I assume the lag phase is extended as the yeast take up the O2 and increase in volume. So a quick start to fermentation could indicate not much oxygenation of the wort and possibly a lower cell count. Just a theory.

Anyway. I'm still keen on getting an O2 setup. Let me know if you can help with the regulator question.

Latest posts

Back