Bunnings Fermenter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
let it soak in sodium perc in the sun for a day or more

I have found that the rubber O ring they through in the bottom creates the smell. I dont use the ring or lid. I just sod perc and boiling water followed by a few rinses then a kettle full of boiling water before filling with wort. Have never had the smell in the finished beer and I have got a few of them.

let it soak in sodium perc in the sun for a day or more

won't the sun degrade the plastic? i'm deffinatly going to let it soak overnight, seems odd that i have never had one with a smell so bad befor

I have found that the rubber O ring they through in the bottom creates the smell. I dont use the ring or lid. I just sod perc and boiling water followed by a few rinses then a kettle full of boiling water before filling with wort. Have never had the smell in the finished beer and I have got a few of them.

o-rings already in the bin, i never use it anyway. it is definatly more of a rubber than a plastic smell so it must be from that

i have bought many of these 'fermenters' in the past with no problems but i'v bought one today and it has a really overpowering strong plastic smell. i'v already rinced with water, boiling water ande oxy soap and it's still there. i'm trying to soak for a few hours now with oxy soap so i'll see how that goes. might be a good idea to give the things a smell befor you buy them. you might look strange but who cares, better than plastic beer.

-Phill

Hey mate I also bought on the other day. all you have to do is put 2 teaspoons of bicarb soda and a few litres of hot water put the and swish around for a few minutes and rinse should get rid of the smell...worked great for me. Let me know how you go!

won't the sun degrade the plastic? i'm deffinatly going to let it soak overnight, seems odd that i have never had one with a smell so bad befor

o-rings already in the bin, i never use it anyway. it is definatly more of a rubber than a plastic smell so it must be from that

O-ring is handy to secure the gladwrap lid to the fv

Sorry OP,

Just like everything else in this materialistic world you get what you pay for so live with it! suck it up & get better quality stuff.
Cheap is not always good.

TP

what shape are bunnings fermenters.
fergi

they are like a cylinder with a bottom and a hole in the top :p looks like any other fermenter just has a orange lid

was it just me or did anyone else notice that the OP's Question was dated back in 2010???

yeah i noticed the OP date but that happens alot when people get on here after a few brews lol

sometimes ill dig up an old post just to stir the pot it does no harm and keeps me amused

on the other hand i really couldnt care how old a post is if it contains something you need more info on by all means dig it up and ask, its only pedantic wankers that get annoyed anyway and id like to think there are none of them around here anyway [although on some forums you get dragged over the coals for bringing up something from last month] lol

cheers :beer: :beer: :beer:

I know everyone has a budget and these days most are in the red and sometimes even 16 bucks is hard to get and means going without something else. I just thought I would point out the saving.

The fermenters are equipment that should last at least 2 years. There are users on this site that have been using them for more than 10 years.

Lets say you only used it for 2 years before tossing in the bin and you brewed every 2 weeks. So lets say you got 50 brews off the fermenter allowing for being on holidays or whatever. The price difference quoted here is $34, 16 to $50. So it works out at 68 cents a brew.

Things that can really save money are those things used every brew like chemicals and ingredients. So using less chemicals by using correct addition rates, or focussing on efficiency to reduce malt bills or carefully managing your yeasts.

Fear_n_Loath

I know everyone has a budget and these days most are in the red and sometimes even 16 bucks is hard to get and means going without something else. I just thought I would point out the saving.

The fermenters are equipment that should last at least 2 years. There are users on this site that have been using them for more than 10 years.

Lets say you only used it for 2 years before tossing in the bin and you brewed every 2 weeks. So lets say you got 50 brews off the fermenter allowing for being on holidays or whatever. The price difference quoted here is $34, 16 to $50. So it works out at 68 cents a brew.

Things that can really save money are those things used every brew like chemicals and ingredients. So using less chemicals by using correct addition rates, or focussing on efficiency to reduce malt bills or carefully managing your yeasts.

Fear_n_Loath

There's plenty of us who like to save a buck and I'm one of them, I believe Bunnings fermenters have a place in a your brewery as they do have a place in mine. ( Aussie made will do me) Unlike Chinese hops, cheap but you get what you pay for and most brewers got rid of them rather than brewing with an inferior product. Funny that false economy thing.

batz

Have a brewery full of them.

Never had an infection issue from them, nor any other issue to speak of.

Perfect size for a brew and I'm happy to save $10 (minimum) per fermenter for the same result.

Don't we all start HB because we're saving a buck. It's only the beer quality that kicks in once we realise how good we really could be and how simple it is to make great beer.

Goomba

Count me in on saving bucks! I love to save a buck too.

Fear_n_loath

IF the "Bunnings Fermentors" are those that I used and praised they are Australian made (BMW Plastics) HDPE barrels, great quality and perfectly OK for brewing, well as perfectly OK as most so called fermentors.
I understand that Coopers have a specific home brew fermentor (cf just a bucket) available, which like the Betta Bottle is well worth looking at.
I ferment in stainless (so what) but suggest to new brewers that an Australian made HDPE vessel just like the BMW from Bunnings is perfet for most needs.

K

IF the "Bunnings Fermentors" are those that I used and praised they are Australian made (BMW Plastics) HDPE barrels, great quality and perfectly OK for brewing, well as perfectly OK as most so called fermentors.
K

Nice to know there are some that still buy Australian as well K.

AusMade.gif

batz

Any one used the BWM heavy duty square versions. Heavier gauge plastic and square base instead of round. They should stack and be stored better etc.

Any one used the BWM heavy duty square versions. Heavier gauge plastic and square base instead of round. They should stack and be stored better etc.

I picked up a square one a few weeks ago, 30L too instead of 25L. I'm going to get another one if I can find one as the square shape has a lower height profile so I can then fit two fermentors better in my ferm fridge.

IMG_0542.JPG

Back