Bunnings Fermenter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok thanks guys.
So when i check the gravity, its ok to let air into the fermenter to get the sample?

I think you have sold me on the bunnings bin rather than the $80 brew kit!
Fit a tap to the drum where the bung is. That means you just draw the sample out without having to open up the gladwrap.
A bottling wand is a worthwhile bit of kit, buy at the supermarket/bigW. Use any long SS spoon, just give it a rinse with boiled water and a spray with some sanitizer. Grab a hydrometer from the brewshop or from the above mentioned stores, use the tube the hydro comes in for drawing samples or buy one.

IMG_0543.JPG

Flat bottom profile for easy cleaning!
IMG_0544.JPG

I'm using glad wrap at the moment coz I lost the air lock grommet. But here is the lid.
IMG_0545.JPG

I like the look of these square fermenters (that's what we'll call them hey?)

The next time I'm in Bunnys I'll hunt them out, I actually like to change to new fermenters after a couple of years to avoid bug build up and retire the old ones to grain storage.
So I'll suck it up and buy a couple of Aussie Made you get what you pay for fermenters.

batz

I seen what you did there.

Not a bad option those square ones. Cant say I've ever seen them at Bunno's but then again I havn't looked for them either.

I just grabbed another square one today, they have plenty at the moment at the Mentone store. $19 I think.

I'm thinking with them I could push my ferment size up a bit and put more into the good ol dregs keg.

Drinking a mongrel ATM

lol would love a dregs keg :p but with only 2 kegs and nothing in them cant see it ATM

I have a couple of those square ones. When I bought a mash tun on eBay two years back the old bloke gave me a some filled with grains of some sort.
Have contemplated using them as fermenting vessels but never got rid of that grain, and there is no real advantage either.

at the keysborough/springvale store the square ones are sitting next too the round ones on the back wall befor you head into the outside garden area.

once i get around to replacing my second fermenter i'll give a square one a try.

Square or rectangle fermenters are great for lagers because they can fit into the fridge for lagering so much better.

I can fit 1 round fermenter in my lager fridge or 2 jerry can styles. Lagering 2 instead of 1 tubs is a big difference to me.

Fear_n_loath

i went cheap and got 2 of the round fermenters yesterday
doesn't matter as my ferment fridge is a little bar fridge...
is anyone bothering with fitting a sediment reducer to the taps on these? (or is it not worth the drive to your LHBS to get one)

is anyone bothering with fitting a sediment reducer to the taps on these? (or is it not worth the drive to your LHBS to get one)
No. Just another piece of useless crap some LHBSes sell.

i went cheap and got 2 of the round fermenters yesterday
doesn't matter as my ferment fridge is a little bar fridge...

Nope, as long as it works and can fit the fermentor

I haven't used one in at least 10 years. I think having the fridge to ferment in allows us to crash chill it before bottling/kegging and this produces a good compact yeast cake. If you ferment in the garage on the old table in the corner, and want to bottle after 3 days, they may help.

Thanks gents
I went cheaper because i'm only going to fit one fermenter in the fridge at a time, so it doesn't matter what shape it is

Thanks gents
I went cheaper because i'm only going to fit one fermenter in the fridge at a time, so it doesn't matter what shape it is

But if you can get another 5L of brew in there, thats a few extra bottles, or a good chunk into the dregs keg. :icon_cheers:

QldKev

+1 Kev. I usually aim to fill a 19L cornie, a handful of 740ml PETs for comps, usually four of those and a 1.25L or two for take/ give aways- the round 25L BMW just isn't quite big enough to do all that (hmmm, guess I'm not asking for much!). I commonly have a litre or two excess wort at pitching even though the round one is as full as I dare and the cornie is usually a litre or two shy of full, but that square cross- section fermenter looks to be the goods to solve both these problems so I'll keep an eye out at the big green shed. Thanks chaps for the tip! :icon_cheers:

Dang it
just went to give my "fermenters" a clean to get ready to put down a batch this afternoon, and neither of them have a rubber seal
back to bunnings i go...

Picked up the only two square 30L fermenters from Bunnings at Campbelltown.

Very good for the price and a bonus 5L more than the round ones.

One thing I've noticed with the 30L square FV's, the lids don't seal.

Not a huge problem until you try to aerate your wort by shaking the crap out of the FV and it starts pissing out wort all over the kitchen! :angry:

One thing I've noticed with the 30L square FV's, the lids don't seal.

Not a huge problem until you try to aerate your wort by shaking the crap out of the FV and it starts pissing out wort all over the kitchen! :angry:
Have you fitted the o-ring seal to the lid?

The seals come in the bottom of the fermenter and you have to install them into the lid yourself.

Back