Bunnings Fermenter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have you fitted the o-ring seal to the lid?

The seals come in the bottom of the fermenter and you have to install them into the lid yourself.

Same here... seal doesn't seem to seal properly... Thankfully I noticed this in the sanitising stage, not shaking wort all over the kitchen :)

Have you fitted the o-ring seal to the lid?

The seals come in the bottom of the fermenter and you have to install them into the lid yourself.

Yep they just don't seal. I haven't had a closer look at why but two I have are both the same. Not a problem for fermenting but have to be aware when tipping it over full of wort.

I have never had a round BMW 25L seal either, but that doesn't stop me using them. I just sit the lid on with no seal. It would have to be an enterprising organism to navigate the thread against a CO2 headwind.

I also like the idea of more regular deposits into the dregs master blend keg.

When i went back to get seals from bunnings yesterday, i only found 4 out of 15 or so barrels actually had seals

Just take a sharp knife to the top of these fermenters and you will see where the join is the is a little step in the plastic. Just scrape it flat with a sharp knife and they seal fine

Steve

just bought two from Kirrawee Bunnings. Fit in the fridge well. Thanks for tip. Got two cubes sitting in garage so will load them up tonight.

ta - richard.

loaded !! works well - thanks!! :icon_cheers:

tn_gallery_658_800_126024.jpg

Been into a few bunnings lately and notice that their water containers are no longer the clear ones but have been pretty much replaced with blue ones...

nutz, quite like the clear ones..

Hey Yob, as far as I know the blue ones are BPA free which I don't mind in exchange for the white ones.

The jerrycans look a little smaller too
The white ones held about 24L up to the lip of the nozzle, the new ones look like they'd hold a bit less
The new jerrys also only have 1 nozzle, so you're going to get glug glug glugging when pouring wort out into a fermenter (if you do)

Bought a couple of the 20L jerrys and from my estimates they hold about 23L. Definitely get the glub glub going on though as you pour.

Edit: On a humorous note I did see you could get the "army version" which appeared to be the exact same as the blue one except this one was green!

Beer Ninja said:
UV Stabilised
Food & Drug, BPA free material
Fitted with bung to allow fitment of tap
Can be used for Home Brewing
Made in Australia
25L - $15.98
http://www.bunnings.com.au/venture-bmw-25l-blue-tint-wide-mouth-water-storage-drum-with-bung_p3240533

They even have the square 30L version. Fits in about the same space as the 25L and allows for more aggressive yeasts.
http://www.bunnings.com.au/venture-bmw-30l-blue-tint-wide-mouth-water-storage-drum-with-bung_p3240534

I picked up some old 10L sauce buckets from work, if I can get the smell of gravy and tomato sauce out of those, Im sure you can get the plastic smell out of the bucket.
Definitely agree with bicarb or Napisan.
Some plastics will release odour in heat, so make sure you give it a cold rinse before giving it a wiff!

Frothie said:
Yep they just don't seal. I haven't had a closer look at why but two I have are both the same. Not a problem for fermenting but have to be aware when tipping it over full of wort.
Why are you tipping them over when full of wort?

dave doran said:
Bought a couple of the 20L jerrys and from my estimates they hold about 23L. Definitely get the glub glub going on though as you pour.

Edit: On a humorous note I did see you could get the "army version" which appeared to be the exact same as the blue one except this one was green!
I get 23.5L out of a recently bought 20L blue jerry can from Bunnings.

stm said:
Why are you tipping them over when full of wort?
My pre-fermentation wort oxygenation technique is to shake the crap out of the fermenter before I pitch the yeast.

See where your coming from, if you chill you could just pour from you chiller at a reasonable height causing splashing and the introduction of O2, or pour from your no chill cube at a reasonable height.

Works well enough for me, 25 ltr (25kg) fermenter is too much to be swinging around I think.

Do the blue ones impart any plastic flavour that anyone's found? My recent purchase below. Given it a good hit with PBW and soaked in Starsan but still has a bit of a smell about it. I'm planning on doing a lager next and don't want to ferment/condition it for weeks only to find it has a 'new drum' taste.
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1395225279.521391.jpg

Back