Bulk Breaking Dry Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For what it's worth, I have had several 500g bricks (04,05,06) for 2 years and they are still viable. No special sani-processes, I just have each in a ziplock bag and keep it in the freezer. Each time I use a clean spoon to put 12gm into a boiled and cooled mug of water let it hydrate and chuck it in the brew.

I think this will be the definitive thread to refer back to for those questions:

Q: "is it ok to freeze packets of dried yeast"

A: Yes but only if accompanied by a frozen kitten.

:)

I think this will be the definitive thread to refer back to for those questions:

Q: "is it ok to freeze packets of dried yeast"

A: Yes but only if accompanied by a frozen kitten.

:)

oh yes i failed to mention this - without the kitten the yeast will perish

$47 Canadian for 500g of US05 if you walk into a shop in Toronto.

Be nice if the site sponsors would charge that. ;)

Would be delighted to if I could make a margin at that price, but as it's higher than my purchase price, so it would make it a little difficult ;)
At our bulk price it only works out at approx $2 a brew, try repitching a 2nd time if that's still too expensive ;)

cheers Ross

Edit: spelling.

....as it's higher than my purchase price, so it would make it a little difficult ;)

So you get it cheaper than $47? :D Nice freudian slip!

But seriously, you can get in on my bulk buy and lower your profits! Or raise them, I forget which one's which! :p

Would be delighted to if I could make a margin at that price, but as it's higher than my purchase price, so it would make it a little difficult ;)
At our bulk price it only works out at approx $2 a brew, try repitching a 2nd time if that's still too expensive ;)

cheers Ross

Edit: spelling.

But whats the score with S-189 ?

Assuming I exclude shipping, $190 for 500g is 38c/g. . In fact Fermentis recommend 23 g per 15-22 litres of brew for a lager. Thats more like 9 bux a brew for dried yeast. This S-189 must be darn special... ;)

Spoke to Ross this afternoon and he told me that the first 50 members to ring him in the morning will get US05 at $46.50 for 500gms and half price postage. Must quote your AHB member number.

Got mine this arvo.

Cheers,

Rowy

Spoke to Ross this afternoon and he told me that the first 50 members to ring him in the morning will get US05 at $46.50 for 500gms and half price postage. Must quote your AHB member number.

Got mine this arvo.

Cheers,

Rowy

Wicked, that's $1 a pitch! Or $2 in an IPA instead of $9! Big savings.

Haha, I'd love to hang around the front desk tomorrow morning and listen to Ross swearing his head of at Rowy.

I have repacked into the little ziplock bags that are so eponymously associated with certain corner market trading. I did this in a glove box, putting a spoonful into each, and they generally weigh between 16-25g, but I weighed each and wrote the weight on the bag, and then divided this up into a number of vacuum bags, so I could choose from a number of different weight bags per vacuum bag, and only have one large bag opened at a time, though re-vac-sealing when done.

After a few years, I am sure the viability is not what it used to be, but I have kept it refridgerated and always pitch more than enough hydrated yeast to compensate for any viability loss.

Latest posts

Back