Dry Yeast Bulk Buy

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Certainly not having a go (not that anyone accused me of doing that). I'm new at this game, and questioning peoples motives helps me learn :)

No worries! "There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers."

No worries! "There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers."

Dunno-someone posted here a few years ago that they`d just made up their very first brew but there was a problem with the airlock,nothing was happening after a day or so. He`d go into the laundry and check every few hours... but nothing. :(
Turned out the airlock was just sitting on the bench with water in it, he didn`t realise it had to go thru the grommet and into the fermenter.
It all turned out good tho once he was told how it worked :lol:

stagga.

Dunno-someone posted here a few years ago that they`d just made up their very first brew but there was a problem with the airlock,nothing was happening after a day or so. He`d go into the laundry and check every few hours... but nothing. :(
Turned out the airlock was just sitting on the bench with water in it, he didn`t realise it had to go thru the grommet and into the fermenter.
It all turned out good tho once he was told how it worked :lol:

stagga.
So his question wasn't soo stupid after all. It was what he did before he asked the question. And the question "sounds" stupid, but in actual fact, it would have been very helpful to him in the end (vs not asking it).

But :lol:, he didn't realise that it not being attached to the fermenter was a problem.

I would be interested 15 packs.
Any other varieties available besides US05 ?

From looking at the Fermentis, there are 9 different types.
I would be in for a couple of each, maybe a few more of teh more common types.

If you get dicked around trying to do a deal in Australia, go direct from the US. Stomp them Grapes will do 1 sachet of Saf05 at $3.29USD or $3.57AUD atm. I can almost bet if you contact the manager directly and tell him you want 200 units (or whatever) ask for a 10 or 15% discount at those figures, they'd work with you. Even 20% isn't unreasonable, but might be pushing it (depending on their cost and what's in it for them).

The sachets weigh next to nothing. Throw an ice brick or two in there, with USPS intl. priority or even economy and yer laughing. I can't see shipping cost exceeding $25 max.. USPS even have new envelopes at flat rate shipping prices.. received one the other day with a few bits and bobs and it cost the sender $7.95USD. Without the ice bricks (which probably wouldn't do much and is not required@ this time of year, anyway) you might be able to squeeze a fair few (like 100 or more) into one envelope.

Try Austin homebrew supply, morebeer a few others too..

reVox

Hi guys, please keep this thread on topic, it's NOT about reusing a yeast cake or creating your own laboratory at home etc.

I have received a PM (I'll keep anon at this stage) with some indicative pricing which is slightly above $2.50 per packet for US05 but the prices go quite a bit lower than that for some other popular types.

Tomorrow (Monday) I'll look into this more deeply. The boxes are boxes of 38.

Cheers.

Have made an enquiry, will keep people updated.

If I don't have any luck with Australian wholesalers I'll go overseas.

Cheers.

Onya Mark

US-05 is now my 'house yeast' for all my fake lagers and 'golden' ales etc and nothing would suit me better than to have 10 or 20 in the fridge to keep me going for a year. Going on the experience of the Chinese hop buy, as soon as a definite price and definite source of supply is nailed down, then the orders start to pour in and then the buy picks up its own momentum.

It looks like it may be boxes of 38, if so I reckon the bulk buy should have a half box minimum, then people can split further if they want to. Thoughts?

Or maybe we could try and do a mixed box, provided there's enough people to make up an entire box of the more obscure yeasts.

So if 38 people in total wanted in and each person wanted just one of a particular yeast, then we can still buy that box.

Gotta work out refrigeration etc too. At least yeast is very small and light compared to other ingredients, so should be easily handled by one person I reckon (depending on size)

Consider me pouring. An abundant supply would end those mornings where I start a brew at 6:30, only to realize I am out of yeast and have to wait for 9 am before the LHBS opens, for one measly packet of yeast. Either that or I could get myself organized...

Great work Mark, I look forward to a definate price and order date!

Back