Dry Yeast Bulk Buy

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkBastard

Reaction score
Hello all.

I remember a while back I bought a FWK from a local brewery, and they sold me Fermentis US05 for $2.50 a packet. At that price I decided to buy 5 of them and the brewery acted like it was no big deal for them.

It got me thinking, I know some people like to keep yeast cultures and reuse yeast and all that, but me I'd rather have 20 packets sitting in the fridge so I can just grab one, rip it open, and sprinkle it into the fermenter. I have absolutely zero interest in doing more than that when it comes to yeast.

So I would like to gauge interest in a dry yeast bulk buy. I don't actually have a supplier and I'm not actually electing myself to organise it or anything like that, but we'll see what happens.

If I could for example get yeast at $2.50 a packet I'd be inclined to buy at least 10 at $25 or maybe 20 at $50. It's the one thing I'd be happy to have a bulk amount of for convenience sake, not just to save money.

Ross @ Craft brewer does do 500gm lots at about $100, which works out to be about the same price, but I don't believe it's individually packaged. I'm not sure with yeast how you're meant to handle it but buying a big packet seems riskier to me and not as easy as having individual packets for each brew.

Hello all.

If I could for example get yeast at $2.50 a packet I'd be inclined to buy at least 10 at $25 or maybe 20 at $50. It's the one thing I'd be happy to have a bulk amount of for convenience sake, not just to save money.

Mark,

if it did by any chance come about that it was possible to get it at somewhere around that price, in separate packs, I'd be interested in 20 packs! :icon_cheers:

Cheers

breaky

I'd be in for 10 or 20 at that price.

That is a good price and for original Fermentis packets not repacks like I read some are getting.

I would have to look at the box when I am at the shop Saturday but the boxes of packets look like about 50 count.

I bet if you can get them for $2.50 retail that a box would run closer to $1.50 each, certainly less then $2.50.

Hello all.

I remember a while back I bought a FWK from a local brewery, and they sold me Fermentis US05 for $2.50 a packet. At that price I decided to buy 5 of them and the brewery acted like it was no big deal for them.

It got me thinking, I know some people like to keep yeast cultures and reuse yeast and all that, but me I'd rather have 20 packets sitting in the fridge so I can just grab one, rip it open, and sprinkle it into the fermenter. I have absolutely zero interest in doing more than that when it comes to yeast.

So I would like to gauge interest in a dry yeast bulk buy. I don't actually have a supplier and I'm not actually electing myself to organise it or anything like that, but we'll see what happens.

Ross @ Craft brewer does do 500gm lots at about $100, which works out to be about the same price, but I don't believe it's individually packaged. I'm not sure with yeast how you're meant to handle it but buying a big packet seems riskier to me and not as easy as having individual packets for each brew.

I have a feeling that brewery will no longer sell to you Mark, or at least will not in the near future...never name names mate ;)
If it does go ahead I'll be in for 10 packets, good luck with it.

Batz

Unless I'm mistaken, separating out those 500g blocks needs to be done in pretty good conditions... lab conditions ideally.

Some points to note (take 'em or leave 'em):

- not everyone will want a whole heap of a single yeast strain, some brewers like the variations of using different yeasts.
- some of those who do love US-05 as the alpha and omega of yeast will likely culture some up themselves, and/or pitch onto a yeastcake.
- yeast has a limited shelf life. If you're doing a batch a week, and you purchase 20 packets, you had better hope that the shelf life is longer than 6 months.
- even if Ross does on-sell the 500g blocks to the public, that's not really a bulk buy... that's buying a lot of something. There is a difference.

Unless I'm mistaken, separating out those 500g blocks needs to be done in pretty good conditions... lab conditions ideally.

Some points to note (take 'em or leave 'em):

- not everyone will want a whole heap of a single yeast strain, some brewers like the variations of using different yeasts.
- some of those who do love US-05 as the alpha and omega of yeast will likely culture some up themselves, and/or pitch onto a yeastcake.
- yeast has a limited shelf life. If you're doing a batch a week, and you purchase 20 packets, you had better hope that the shelf life is longer than 6 months.
- even if Ross does on-sell the 500g blocks to the public, that's not really a bulk buy... that's buying a lot of something. There is a difference.

We are talking about separate packets not bricks, at least that's all I'm interested in.

Batz

How long will they last in the fridge ? I assume you cannot freeze them.

I'd be in for 10 or 20 depending on final price. No 500g bricks though, hahaha. Imagine if you dumped the whole thing in :D :D

EDIT: I've heard of quoted fridge life being 24 months, with unrefridgerated life being 6 to 12 months depending on conditions.

I have a feeling that brewery will no longer sell to you Mark, or at least will not in the near future...never name names mate ;)
If it does go ahead I'll be in for 10 packets, good luck with it.

Batz

If he is still talking about the same brewery as in the other thread then I guarantee they won't sell to him anymore.

I'd be in for 10-20 depending on price.
Call me silly but... Pitch onto the yeast cake every 2nd and 3rd brew and boom, bulk buy savings at retail prices. I mean, if you're using enough of a single yeast strain to warrant buying 10+ packets at one time, then surely your brew regime is full enough to do this...

Summary: I don't see the point.

i'll be up for 20 packs for that price too.

Call me silly but... Pitch onto the yeast cake every 2nd and 3rd brew and boom, bulk buy savings at retail prices. I mean, if you're using enough of a single yeast strain to warrant buying 10+ packets at one time, then surely your brew regime is full enough to do this...

Well that depends if you like to pitch onto a yeast cake, perhaps you don't want to use the same yeast straight after your last brew. Ten packets will last 2 years, I brew each week and decide a few days before what I'll brew and with what yeast.

Personally for the small investment I like my yeast sitting in the fridge rather than the bottom of a fermenter. Each to their own.

Batz

Point is, can' be arsed keeping yeast cake. And more importantly, MUCH less chance of infections.

When I get more fridge space, I will have a go at keeping yeast cakes, but no room now.

And if I'm doing 80 liter batches, I can go through 10-20 packets of yeast pretty quickly.

Call me silly but... Pitch onto the yeast cake every 2nd and 3rd brew and boom, bulk buy savings at retail prices.

I`ve repitched this yeast strain 4 times from the original brew, making a total of 5 uses.
At every pitch, the ferment has been stronger than the last, and always clean with no off flavours.in the finished beer.
That`s repitching about 200 ml. of slurry and at 15-18*.
85 cents per brew.
It makes me wonder just how many repitches I could get away with.

stagga.

Well that depends if you like to pitch onto a yeast cake, perhaps you don't want to use the same yeast straight after your last brew. Ten packets will last 2 years, I brew each week and decide a few days before what I'll brew and with what yeast.

Personally for the small investment I like my yeast sitting in the fridge rather than the bottom of a fermenter. Each to their own.

Batz
I was working on the assumption that you'd be wanting to use them quicker then that - i.e. viability after 6 months is a tiny fraction of the viability on purchase. Dry yeasts are probably hardier then their active brothers though, so the viability probably is more like what you are talking about. So, on that assumption, I'm picturing someone buying 20 packs putting on a new brew pretty much every week.

Certainly not having a go (not that anyone accused me of doing that). I'm new at this game, and questioning peoples motives helps me learn :)

I`ve repitched this yeast strain 4 times from the original brew, making a total of 5 uses.
At every pitch, the ferment has been stronger than the last, and always clean with no off flavours.in the finished beer.
That`s repitching about 200 ml. of slurry and at 15-18*.
85 cents per brew.
It makes me wonder just how many repitches I could get away with.

stagga.

With US-05, I find it's better after 2-3 repitches than when freshly pitched. Never gone past 5 reuses myself. Fear of infection and mutation.

Latest posts

Back