Summer Ale Dry hop question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Takasonfletcher

Reaction score
Morning Team,

Quick question I recently put down the following

Briess Light Malt Extract 3kg
Light Crystal 60 Grain 250g (Steeped for 30 minutes)
Light Dry Malt Extract 500g
25g Centennial @ 30 mins
37.5g Amarillo @20 mins
37.5g Amarillo @ 10 mins
25g Cascade Dry Hop after 4 days
25g Amarillo Dry Hop after 4 days
Made to 23l
Mangroves Jacks M44 West Coast Ale Yeast
Fermenting Temp between 18-20

OG 1045 and after 1 week i have a reading of 1006 everything is going well I'm planning on fermenting for anther week or so. Tasted out of the FV when i did my reading last night and it tastes decent so far, the yeast still has a bit of cleaning up to do so in no rush to bottle this.

I'm a hop-head and I am looking for an IN YOUR FACE aroma when I get around to cracking open this beer, the question I have is would another 25g of Cascade and 25g of Amarillo dry hopped for the remainder be too much so 100g in total or would this give me what I'm looking for.

I have done a about 6 brews now and still experimenting and always dry hopped with 50g of hops which gives a nice touch on the nose but not really a Nose bashing like I'm looking for, keen to get peoples thoughts with the proposed combination as I have never used Amarillo before. I'm looking to head to my LHBS this afternoon if there is a consensus that this is a good idea.

keen to get your thoughts, as usual all opinions are welcome!

Chuur

i'm the same as you mate and like a lot of aroma hops to get my tastes all tingly. that 50g of hops wouldn't be too much at all. in fact it would be awesome. with a 23L batch you're looking at close to 2g/L (2 grams of dry hops per litre of beer) there which is nice.

for my big IPAs i go for about 3-4, but i think what you have there for a pale ale will be great. chuck em both in.

citra is also an amazing hop for dry hopping. try that if you have/get some too

Done, dry hopped with a massive total 100g of pellets (50g of Cascade and 50g of Amarillo)

I feel this will go either one of 2 ways, I'll let you all know in a couple of weeks!

Chuur

What temp and how long are you dry hopping for?

Currently sitting at 18 has been between 18-20 the entire time, planning to bottle this weekend has reached final gravity just giving the yeast a bit of time to clean up while it dry hops, will add some finings on Thursday don't have a beer fridge so I can't cold crash

Latest posts

Back