Building a cellar

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrtona

Reaction score
Hi
Not sure which section to post this but I'm after advise on building a cellar.
I've a west facing deck on the back of my house with an area of 3m x 3m x 2 metres high underneath.
I'm thinking of bricking it in and using it as a cellar.
Do I need vents in the walls for ventilation or do I keep it fully enclosed?
It will get the late afternoon sun against one wall.
Any thoughts please.
Thanks

Hi
I've a west facing deck on the back of my house with an area of 3m x 3m x 2 metres high underneath.
Any thoughts please.
Thanks
I don't have a cellar, or room for one, but I do have a fermenting room. If you go ahead with the project line the inside with polystyrene, I was walking past a build of a house and there was a pack of 75 mm thick by approximately 1,000 mm wide and approximately 4,000 mm long. the invoice was attached to the pack $59.00 so cheap to buy. Get yourself a reverse cycle air con, I have a 2.5 kW inverter split system reverse cycle, much cheaper to run than a bank of fridges.
001.JPG

Hi
Any thoughts please.
Thanks

Yes you will need ventilation and a cross breeze otherwise you’ll have mold problems. I would where possible install two layers of brick with 50mm cavity this will act as really good insulation especially where the sun hits it. Cool room panels are a good idea but if not end sealed correctly will harbour cockroaches

Hi
Any thoughts please.
Thanks

Yes you will need ventilation and a cross breeze otherwise you’ll have mold problems. I would where possible install two layers of brick with 50mm cavity this will act as really good insulation especially where the sun hits it. Cool room panels are a good idea but if not end sealed correctly will harbour cockroaches.
If below ground install a sump pit in floor just to be irish

Latest posts

Back