New Brewery Build

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The flow rate between the march and chugger max seem tighter than what is documented, what size pick up is in the mash tun, those max pumps really need to be as open feed as possible.

1" mt to Max pump. The bottleneck is the hex coil

The MT has a 2" bottom drain out with a reducer to 1". Then 1" hose down to 1" 3 way valve which has a 3/4" bore then into 1" to 3/4" reducer into the pump.

There is lots of restriction on the out side to provide some pressure.

Moad said:
Overall ramp rate starting the HLT and MT at 20 degrees was 80 minutes to go to 70 in the HLT and 60 in the MT. So one degree every two minutes in the mash which is acceptable for me.
I think I wrote this too late, it was just over an hour to ramp the MT 40 degrees.

so 1.5 min/degree with water

It looks like the chugger nano motors are 60hz only, I'm waiting to confirm with the supplier. If this is the case I've potentially burnt out my $500 pump and taken a massive hit on the progress of the build. Was not sure whether to purchase it in the first place... Absolutely gutted

Yeah Im trying to get Mike from chugger pumps to confirm but his last response was

"Don't know what is causing the overheat ..we do not sell in AUS ..I will send a new motor in the US only

Mike Caringi"

The brewers hardware site I purchased from actually says 60hz and not 50 so it is not 100% clear at this stage. Given the regular chugger pumps are 50/60 and the spec sheet on manufacturer website says 50/60 I'm not sure what is happening. I came across another ahb thread where this issue was raised on an early run of chugger pumps.

If I don't get a response from brewers hardware or mike at chugger I will try PayPal buyer protection as it appears it is faulty.

I can swap out that pump with one of the 815-C pumps if I get nowhere. The other thing I can try is drop the voltage down to the pump and see if it stops the overheating. I'm really disappointed in chugger pumps response.

It would and it did (if I am a reasonable person) but I think I'm stuck as I purchased from the states.

Best case it is just faulty and I drop another $80 to ship it back. Worst case they continue to stonewall me. If I have to drop the voltage to get it to work I might as well have got another 815-c.

malt junkie said:
Moad, great work mate! What size hoses did you go with? Particularly on the Nano. Also first brew pics are a must.

one sexy bit of kit for making beer
Love it!
First or second brew: Club Brew night for HUB, please!

I'll need to get a few under the belt to make sure there is enough beer in the house for a brewday first. But yeah, once she is dialled in a HUB brew day/night is on the cards.

Moad said:
I'll need to get a few under the belt to make sure there is enough beer in the house for a brewday first. But yeah, once she is dialled in a HUB brew day/night is on the cards.
We could combine it with a club meet and a style tasting. Otherwise, I'm happy to bring a keg of something that will travel well (unaffected by yeast disturbance), even if I have to transfer off the yeast trub into another keg.

This message is sent unofficially on behalf of the club.

Turns out there is a label on the pump saying 50/60 so its faulty.

I read chugger had good customer service, it appears not.

I'm talking to brewers hardware now about options. They are looking like refunding the pump in which case I'll buy the march nano from process pumps.

So happy I paid through PayPal.

I have to give a plug to Brewers Hardware, no fuss with the refund on the pump. It's a shame the pump didn't work and I'll have to wait for a March but a good result in the end.

Chugger can get fucked as far as I am concerned, disgraceful attitude from Mike. I'll never buy a chugger product.

Geez that's a shocker. For the record, a simple induction motor will run at any frequency* without issue. Only the speed (and by extension power) will be affected. Reducing the frequency of the AC power source from 60 to 50 Hz will slow it 17% from the US supply, which for the most part is about all that matters. What this is turn does however is reduce the fan/cooling rate, but this is counteracted by the reduction in power so less cooling is required.
The fact however that the manual lists power as 115/230 VAC and provides a 50 & 60Hz curve is pretty conclusive.
* For a VVVF drive however the relationship is not linear and when running at lower speeds: the voltage is increased to maintain torque at low speeds. With the increase in motor current and reduced cooling from the slower speed, it's absolutely an issue. In practice however the lowest you want to go for most applications is around 20% rated speed.

tldr;
Talking shit, 50Hz is fine.

Thanks Wiggman, I was going to drop the voltage when I couldn't get a conclusive response from the manufacturer (as much as that would have made getting a larger pump pointless) and then I looked at the label on the pump whcih had it as 50/60hz. To be honest, brewers hardware could have argued it as their website only has it as 60hz.

Faulty motor with very few f**ks given by Mike at chugger! I mean, come on... he operates in a global market. Work with the local distributor or use a freight forwarder... stand behind your product. Anyway I won't go on about it, it's sorted.

Will set brewday back a few weeks but luckily I am (now) in Hawaii for a few of those which eases the pain!

Well it is nowhere near complete but it is going to make me some beer tomorrow, 200L actually.

IMG-20161111-WA0004.jpeg

Latest posts

Back