New Brewery Build

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
looking good mate, only thing I'll say about externally routing the pipework is it makes it harder to brew if you have little kiddies around. I chose to put mine all inside and put doors on the front so I don't have to worry if im stuck brewing during the day and the kiddies are playing in the shed with potentially hop pipework exposed.

Excellent point... my first is actually due today so I have a year or so before that is an issue. I could insulate any exposed pipework I guess

Still going to bottom drain out into pumps but back out will be external.

Fittings should be delivered and welded up next week then bring the pots home and hook her up and work out what is missing to finish it off

some action!

Pots have been welded, a few bits and pieces to be finished up by Bruce (Tex n Oz) with the welding side of things but it is getting closer!

Should have lots more photos when I bring everything home but here is one of the welds i polished up today, some fine work by Tex

IMG_20160625_153948.jpg

That kit is looking very sexy Moad!!
We still have some work to do but in the end it's all worth it!

I couldn't resist posting some progress pics but yeah the probe in the BK is temporary, looking to weld in some more TC fittings for dial thermometers and moving that probe to the back of the BK.

Also could have tidied it up but was too excited to share the bling pics.

Thanks again Tex, absolute legend.

haha, the idea is I'll brew more volume less often. I seem to have more and more mates buying keg fridges though so the pipeline is getting stretched before I'm even up and running.

Don't mean to snark, but I can't see the point in using Triclover then mounting them inside the vessel.

Surely the point of triclover is to eliminate threads and crevices in process contact, mounting them that way ensures you've got both.

Lyrebird_Cycles said:
Don't mean to snark, but I can't see the point in using Triclover then mounting them inside the vessel.

Surely the point of triclover is to eliminate threads and crevices in process contact, mounting them that way ensures you've got both.
Whilst TC's are generally used as you say as a sanitary fitting, they are also a great disconect. In any other fitment of that herms coil it would be a permanent fixture and a ******* to clean, this setup makes it easy to remove pressure clean and replace. Yeah he could go to the trouble of having TC flanges welded directly to the coil (maybe a plan for down the track) but as it sits, it's an easy to use and clean setup.

Ignore me no glasses on!

Abovementioned removing the coil is the only way to ensure it is 100% clean. If your going to have a herms coil I can't see how you'd do it better.

OK thanks for the info. I was thinking a barrel union would be easier and cheaper but I just looked it up on Geordi's site and they're the same price.

Not sure about Barrel union but yeah TC on the coil for easy removal and it is in HLT, hot side only and no wort contact

Here's an isometric cut-away of what the layout looks like.

Capture.JPG

This drawing is representative only and not exactly how I weld in fittings, but you get the idea. Malleable pipe/threaded unions are just as hard to clean and I reserve their use in very high pressure or steam applications for reasons of safety.

Though very difficult to manufacture, I think this setup is the best for the application. Couldn't think of a better way.

Very nice,
Where did you source the Tri Clover ferrules etc?

Latest posts

Back