New Brewery Build

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheers mb.

I have a CFC already so will hang on to that, although it doesn't look like that blingin stainless one.

Next on the to do list is the false bottom for the MT. it will be a 55cm diameter pot and I am expecting it to hold up to 25KG of grain in the mash. Any ideas?

hey moad good stuff mate - one Q for ya, I am starting a herms build soon and wondering why so much power <edit - heat> in the hex?

The size of the mash basically. I'm not entirely sure it will work yet!

I'll be ramping 100L of mash wort plus the 7L of water in the hex, I had the two elements already so why not...

No worries, the problem will probably be getting a good enough flow rate to transfer that heat without compacting too much. My MT is quite wide which should help overcome that.

I could also have the mash return half way up the side so as to agitate the mash. I'll start with the one return and may need to add the half way return later.

Pots arrived, pretty happy with them except for the lids - https://www.dropbox.com/s/fujg9ys70lbubyw/IMG-20151028-WA0005.jpeg?dl=0
Ball valves I am also happy with - https://www.dropbox.com/s/g6cvkrha2k0ui5m/IMG-20151028-WA0000.jpeg?dl=0

Looking at the norcalbrewing (Jaybird) false bottom for the MT, at $400 delivered I will be only getting one. Will come up with something else for the BK.

I have the steel getting cut for the frame, will be going with a stainless top and cutting holes in the bottom to hide elements, hoses etc. Will put doors on the front to use as a bit of storage for bits and pieces when not brewing.

Next step is getting fittings welded to the pots and then putting the frame together. I can then start putting all the mechanical parts and plumbing together and focus on the electricals.

edit: post 1000!

Hi Moad, looks like things are coming along nicely. For the BK, I use one of these: https://utahbiodieselsupply.com/brewingfilters.php#brewfilter8x16

I've got the 300micron (8", you'll probably want the 10" version). You can probably source something similar locally these days (couldn't when I got mine). Just throw your hops in there and Bob's your uncle. For the pickup, I just have a 90degree (1/2") SS fitting, no screens or filters of any kind. I suppose I get a little trub into the fermenter, but very little and I never clog. Besides, a little trub is supposedly beneficial to the yeast. For the return, I have a 1/2" pipe that extends 'bout half way down the wall of the pot then takes a gentle turn horizontally. I can create a nice whirlpool with it if I don't have that bigass hop filter in there; with the filter, it ensures good recirculation of wort through the hop slurry inside the filter (if that makes sense).

probably better ways to do it, but it works for me and I'm happy with it.

I am going to get the fittings welded to the pots next week, first I wanted to ask about bottom draining vessels.

Is there anything I need to consider or is it just a case of sitting the false bottom in the MT then putting the outlet in the bottom? Same with BK? I'll likely fit a bazooka screen in addition to other measures in both vessels.

for the BK I'll probably put the outlet toward the side (bottom draining) so whirlpooling will move most of the trub away from the outlet. Will also have a hop spider to reduce the trub as much as I can.

edit: I have ordered the relay board for the ball valves, still need to find a 12v to 5v step down and buy pumps, false bottom and a few bits and pieces.

Hoping to run the first brew through early in the new year.

Just ordered a 21 - 4/16" (54cm) falsie with two handles for the MT and a 2 -1/4" stand. $474 delivered.... wow.

Pumps should be delivered this week.

Does anyone know of a 4 "tenticle" bazooka screen type arrangement?

I'll be away for a couple of weeks so progress is on hold until I am back.

Half a gee for a false bottom... that's a serious commitment.

What was the reason for the (presumably) custom build, vs a $99 50cm domed jobbie from kk?

It's going to be holding some weight, also the more surface area (whole pot) will mean the weight and grain is distributed further reducing the chance of any stuck mash. More volume under the grain will reduce any vaccuum effect or at least hold it off longer. Its the same design as my current false bottom setup which works a treat.

It isn't cheap but neither were the pumps, pots or any other part. I'm building something that will last me a long time so the money will soon be forgotten. It isn't like I'm not going to eat this week now either!

Edit: I am also running outlets through the bottom of the vessels

Back from holidays tomorrow, will be making some progress this weekend. Most parts will be waiting at home ready to start putting together.

Not sure wether to put elements vertical from the bottom or into the side. Through the bottom will make it easier to hide and route wiring but through the side means I can do smaller batches easier and not risk running elements dry. Thoughts?

edit:

I've cleaned out the garage (not much non ber related stuff left) and organised every thing ready for the build. It will go where the current 3V is and extend further along to the right a touch. I can't go too much further as the box there is the mains board.

I need to move that small panel (for the 1v) and the big panel will probably go there if I don't attach it to the frame.

https://goo.gl/photos/FB1JGyHQgPaPTDJU8

The frame is under construction, should have the skeleton welded up properly on the weekend.

Will hopefully take the pots to get fittings welded tomorrow and then next week I can start putting things together! Control panel is still in the works so won't get to brew this year, hopefully by the end of Feb I'll be up and running.

Welding-Frame1.jpg

Not at first, planning to build another frame around it that can pivot and tip back.

I'm going to run hoses underneath but will make the MT outlet and return QDs when the time comes.

I need to get it working first to sell the old one, then fine tune and keep improving it!

Edit: there will be a sheet of stainless on the "benchtop" too, hoses will be concealed aside from tap to HLT and HEX to MT then chiller to fermenter obviously. Will put doors on the front to store brew day equipment but also hide pumps and valves etc. They will be easily accessible if there are issues

Been a while since giving an update.

The pots are in with Tex n Oz getting welded up. All parts are in now and the bench is almost done. Electrical components and pots pending I should hopefully be up and running my the end of next month!!

Here is the frame blasted and primed.

IMG-20160111-WA0000.jpg

Latest posts

Back