New Brewery Build

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Think I got my marc's mixed up though both used stout tanks but this system was epic and did a few things outside the box also uses BCS, he puts a different slant on heat exchange.

Not sure why the third pump is required. I guess it would remove the requirement for one valve. Id probably rather just remove the mains water ball valve and manually fill. That will remove the need for one of the float switches too I guess.

Moad said:
Hey MB,

You were right about the 3 way valves, they are 3-4 times the price of the 2 way.

If I was to use 2 x 2 way where the 3 ways are I would have 18 outputs including the 2 pumps and 5 elements.

Could I use one of the 6 PID outputs for just on/off to control one of the pumps?
You could use the output to drive a change over relay, energise 1 valve when output is off, energise the other when it is on. Obviously won't work if you need a neutral or closed position.

Might have to do something like that. The expander cards are discontinued and apparently we're a bit limited with what you could do with them.

I might just fork out for the 3 way valves... Will give me room on the bcs to expand into controlling ferment.

So glad I went the 462

Prices have come back for the valves...

4 x 3-way (stainless) and 3 x-2 way:

2-way Motorized ball valves Model: TOFINE-THA20T
1/2" BSP,Stainless steel,12V,CR2 02 (Normally closed)
3 PCS

$33.3 USD/PC

3-way Motorized ball valves
1/2" BSP,Stainless steel,12V,CR2 02 (Normally closed)
4 PCS
$62.9 USD/PC

Shipping cost by DHL door-to-door: 90.5 USD

So the total cost including shipping: 3*33.3+4*62.9+90.5=99.9+251.6+90.5=$ 442.0 USD

So around $600 delivered

hahah yeah, if I work for 3 hours for 2 brews while the brewery is doing it's thing (thanks to automation) then it is worth the $...

That's what I tell myself anyway

Update:

Pulled the trigger on the ball valves...

BCS still being built apparently, eta 3 weeks

Waiting for pay day to buy pumps and elements

Waiting on calls back from catering companies for stainless pots

Welding for fittings quoted

Once pots are sorted I will start on the frame design

I am going with barbs and hose for now, I may go to hard plumped later and am going to design the frame with this in mind.

Electrical design will start next week when I catch up with my mate who is an industrial sparky

Moad said:
Update:

Pulled the trigger on the ball valves...

BCS still being built apparently, eta 3 weeks

Waiting for pay day to buy pumps and elements

Waiting on calls back from catering companies for stainless pots

Welding for fittings quoted

Once pots are sorted I will start on the frame design

I am going with barbs and hose for now, I may go to hard plumped later and am going to design the frame with this in mind.

Electrical design will start next week when I catch up with my mate who is an industrial sparky
If you find a well priced local pot supplier let us know. Also, what elements you going with?

Camco elements, ulwd for the kettle and just cheap ones for HLT. 4500 and 3500 in both. I've got 2 x 2400w I already had, in the HEX.

The pots I have found at chefland are 399 and 345 for a 170L and 130L respectively. Waiting on a price for shipping. The guy said 1.2mm thick.

Finished the first attempt at a hex tonight, I'm reasonably happy with it but it isn't perfect. It is a proof of concept really, want to see if 4800w in 6L with the march 815-c will ramp 100L in a reasonable time. I can test with my current rig.

I'll probably redo it with straight ends and straight compression fittings into some couplers welded in if it works well. The compression fittings have a tiny tiny leak which bugs me, the elbows were a real bitch to get everything sealed which is why I went through the bottom on one of them.

Will post pics tomorrow

The standard camco has a steel base, the ones from brew hardware are stainless and only a few dollars more.

HEX, still not quite done. I stupidly drilled a small hole next to one of the elements that I'll need to get welded.

Also need to get the coupler for the probe compression fitting put in.

IMG_20151012_223250.jpg

IMG_20151012_223316.jpg

mofox1 said:
Hmm. You can get up to 8 for only $60 shipping... BB anyone :D
I'd probably be in if a 3600 and 2400 watt was available....

Edit: Sorry, looking good Moad ;)

Elements and controller arrived today, I'll get the bcs hooked up on the network tonight for a play!

Purchasing pots and pumps this week, then the fun begins

Pots ordered, pumps next. Valves a week off being delivered.

Anyone have any suggestions for cooling. I've used immersion and cfc chillers but not a plate chiller. Something with a small footprint would be good.

cfc all the way. way faster and more efficient than an immersion and doesn't clog like a plate. imo.

Latest posts

Back