Brewtech SS fermenting vessels discussion thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
7 posts to report my puerile sense of humor that took me 5 seconds with a razor blade? You should have seen what I had planned for the cat and dog sillhouttes on it before Mrs ******* peeled them off and stuck 'em on the inside fridge before I could commit an act of unspeakable bastardry on them!

How dare you sir!

Wuhoo! Got mine today :)

1408661478592.jpg

Yep, stainless jug from Kmart, $7. Still waiting on triclamp seals and the cap with a 12mm barb to show up. So happy they included a bung so I can use my old airlock in the meantime.

BTW, I will be building a new shelf to hold it over the weekend.

Jeez they look nice. Not quite as blingy but I have today off so managed to fill my new brewbucket and test their stackability.

From this: To this:
20131110_184821.jpg 20140822_101935.jpg

Hmmm. Maybe I should use a fresh piece of hose for that blow-off.

I did think of the brew bucket for the dual batch capability, but tri clamp fittings won me over.

I just realised I will have to put the blow off assembly on the other side, away from the electrics of the fridge.

How much headspace is too little headspace on the 27l jobby?

I do around 21L batches, which would leave 6L of headspace. Is that too little? Or is that why most pic's have a blow off hose?

Its stainless. I luuuuuuuuuuuuuuve stainless, its shiney. Soooooooooooooooooooo shiney................ My shiiineeeey

Endo said:

I do around 21L batches, which would leave 6L of headspace. Is that too little? Or is that why most pic's have a blow off hose?

Its stainless. I luuuuuuuuuuuuuuve stainless, its shiney. Soooooooooooooooooooo shiney................ My shiiineeeey
Depends how much head volume your beers normally throw up.

If you pitch consistent size yeast/ starters and aerate the same and don't upgrade to oxygen injection, you could be fine, based on experience.

I brew wheat beer and will need to ferment them in another vessel or decrease batch size to cope with 30% headspace (at least).

Endo said:

With an aggressive ferment, you're probably pushing it with only 6-litres headspace available.

You can either knock your batch volumes down a little, stick to yeasts that don't go nuts, or get a blow-off tube setup.

Anyone see any issues with putting quick disconnects on the ballvalve instead of butterfly valves? Would keep costs down and more convenient to use....

blair said:
Anyone see any issues with putting quick disconnects on the ballvalve instead of butterfly valves? Would keep costs down and more convenient to use....
more cleaning, and places for problems to hide

Bribie G said:
Elcarter (retailer) said they were available but he never got back to me.

edit: however I realise I read his post wrong and have got onto Prochem myself, awaiting their response. I pointed out to them that they might get a few repeat sales as a lot of the buckets have been imported.
Sorry Bribie I only just saw this, if you haven't had any luck and a few of you guys need some I can sort something out at my end.

No problem. I have a couple of irons in the fire but will contact you if I run out of luck :p

Spiesy said:
With an aggressive ferment, you're probably pushing it with only 6-litres headspace available.

You can either knock your batch volumes down a little, stick to yeasts that don't go nuts, or get a blow-off tube setup.

My IPA I use America II... The Imperial Stout I over boiled looks like it blew the lid off(calculated max off 22% abv :blink: ).... one of those run of the mill barrel fermenter with about 8litres in it... lol

The fermenter needs to be able to handle any standard size batches I do (usually the 21L mark) or any experimental half batches I do.

if a blow off tube setup is going to solve any issues then happy to go down that path as long as its not going to be to the detriment of the final product.

Endo said:
My IPA I use America II... The Imperial Stout I over boiled looks like it blew the lid off(calculated max off 22% abv :blink: ).... one of those run of the mill barrel fermenter with about 8litres in it... lol

The fermenter needs to be able to handle any standard size batches I do (usually the 21L mark) or any experimental half batches I do.

if a blow off tube setup is going to solve any issues then happy to go down that path as long as its not going to be to the detriment of the final product.
What yeast are you using to get to 22% ABV? Champagne yeast? White Labs Super High Gravity?

You blew the lid of a 30L fermenter (not sure what size, you haven't said) with 8L of this wort?

A blow-off tube shouldn't be detrimental to your final product, but I reckon a 22% stout might be detrimental to your health! :p

Spiesy said:
What yeast are you using to get to 22% ABV? Champagne yeast? White Labs Super High Gravity?

You blew the lid of a 30L fermenter (not sure what size, you haven't said) with 8L of this wort?

A blow-off tube shouldn't be detrimental to your final product, but I reckon a 22% stout might be detrimental to your health! :p
It was a half batch for a RIS, was meant to be around the 10% mark but I didnt watch the boil close enough.... and i went foamy and reduced down... a lot, I've got the white labs stuff. Lesson's learned... Keep an eye on the damn boil!

The outside of the fermenter was clean... now its got brown stains.. I'd say it blew its top... It was in a fermentation fridge.. So unless Aliens did it.... :huh:

Be interesting to see how / if it turns out once its done.... For science! :D

Might have to do my tax return so Uncle Joe can buy me a brew bucket :D

EC1118 will get close to that high.
Its Chanpaign yeast.
I'd believe it, these washes really go off.

What diameter blow off tube is everyone using? I'm a newcomer to the blowoff, and had planned on using a 1" diameter tube, but I've been stymied by the available height in my fridge. I can just squeeze in a 16mm push fit fitting on top of the chronical lid with some subtle mods. Is that big enough? I can see some advantage to using the push fit fittings for pressure ferments and transfer, but I'm not sure if the 14mm ID of the tube is adequate to allow egress of the envisioned krausen monsters.

Cheers,

FB

I'm STILL waiting for my modified lid to come back to me but as well as a home-made thermowell it's getting a short length of spear from a 50-litre keg TIG'd in for the blow-off which should allow for over 3.5 times the C02 extraction of a normal plastic bubbler.
25mm ID reinforced FG hose from Clark Rubber is a nice firm fit.

FB ----- Would a couple of 25mm FG poly elbows from an irrigation shop solve your problem?

25mm poly Elbow.jpg

Latest posts

Back