Brewtech SS fermenting vessels discussion thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TidalPete said:
And again!

Racking to keg at 2.0 psi.

These BB's are great or they will be once I get my (modified) lids back. ;) :D

Come on the Cows!
9 penalties in the first 40 minutes. WTF!
What OD silicone is that going into the top of the BB?

Tried to get a piece of my standard 12mm ID (the thick-walled stuff from Craftbrewer) into the top hole, without success. Do I just need to man up a bit and give it more oomph, or are you using thinner walled hose?

Nah thick hose mate

Only tempory though might change to a nipple blow off set up because it's a sharp thin lid that's cutting easy.
Sav

Have drilled a hole dead centre in the lid to accommodate a home-made thermowell (half a corny dip tube). Probe should sit in the middle of a 22-litre wort.

Have also enlarged the existing hole at the edge to take a 25mm length of ss tube from a 50-litre keg which should make for better blow-off capabilities since the BB is only 26.3 litres capacity.
Re Post 26

Still to get the lids back before I can use the ss fermenters but hopefully the above will sort out any hassles space-wise & improve temp accuracy from probe\occy strap method?
Adding some sort of ss tubing/thermowell to the (original) hole in the BB lid will solve any "sharp edge" problems that WILL happen sooner or later.
Fingers crossed & all that. :)
Blow off capabilities should be around 3.4 times that of a normal blow off tube via standard air lock.

Just can't wait! :D

Rather simple question, but in the joy that surpasseth all understanding when I got the BrewBucket I clean forgot to buy transfer hose: :blink:

What exact diameter of hose do I need to transfer to keg? I'll pop up to BCF tomorrow and buy a metre or so off the roll.

Bribie G said:
Rather simple question, but in the joy that surpasseth all understanding when I got the BrewBucket I clean forgot to buy transfer hose: :blink:

What exact diameter of hose do I need to transfer to keg? I'll pop up to BCF tomorrow and buy a metre or so off the roll.
The barb has a 8mm diameter at it's outlet end progressing to a 10mm diameter near the tap end, so 8mm ID as TidalPete just posted.

For those looking to use a blow-off tube, I'm using this tube from Beerbelly, as I had it lying around from an unfinished project, stuck straight into the provided stopper without the grommet.
fermentblowoff1.gif

Also drilled a hole in the lid for a thermowell.
fermentthermo2_1.gif

Edit: as TidalPete just posted, and pictures

This is what I had left after kegging my dark mid image.jpg and just out of the fermenter image.jpg

Great piece of kit, isn't it :)

I just now ran most of a keg off, it was almost clear, with the racking arm just above parallel.

Then I turned the racking arm down a bit into the cone and drew off a bottle for a comp. Just hazy and perfect for bottle conditioning.

I turned the racking arm down a bit more, drew off a second bottle and it was still just hazy.

Swirled the remainder to bring the yeast back into suspension, turned racking arm right down and drew off a Schott bottle of yeast slurry.

Using a flat bottomed Bunnings fermenter I'd be looking at a litre and a half of wastage, after much tipping and cursing, here I'd guess about two cups at most and total control over the process.

:beerbang:

Brew Bucket is by far the easiest fermenter to clean out of any fv I've ever used!

Yes, amazing. I'm so used to having to fill the Bunnings job with perc solution, leave overnight, drain, wash inside with dishwashing liquid and a yellow washer, rinse, starsan.....

With the BB it's basically just a quick wash inside with TSP solution then rinse off.. it all exits via the hole and even the tiniest speck of anything really stands out against the stainless steel .. put in the sun to dry and spray inside with Starsan before filling. I was thinking "too easy, I must have forgotten something"

I soaked the ball valve overnight in strong perc solution, turning the tap handle a few times.

So does anyone have the Chronical 26L yet? Thoughts on if its worth grabbing that over the BB? I'll probably purchase next week.

sjp770 said:
So does anyone have the Chronical 26L yet? Thoughts on if its worth grabbing that over the BB? I'll probably purchase next week.
Hi as posted in the retail thread 7 and 17s expected to be delivered into Brisbane on the 4/ or 5th of August so we will be getting them out a bit after that.
They got delayed getting out of the factory. Conical 7s will now come with new weld less thermo wells as std.

Ahh, I was just looking for that thread.. I'll move my questions there :)

Well, my first use of the Brewbucket was a definite success. Fermented an overdue harvest session ipa using magnum/chinook for bittering and 150-200gms of homegrown cascade flowers at whirpool - no chilled. Will use a blow off next time as it got awful close to making a mess. I got a little brazen and threw in 50gms of flowers to dryhop and while the flow did block while filling the corny, a twist of the pickup got it flowing again. Nice piece of bling this.

20140727_130236.jpg20140727_130226.jpg

Yep. Too easy. 6mm nylon tube straight on to the barb, down into my baby kegs !
Krausen ring just wiped away.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1406980289.618400.jpg

CF

If anyone finds a triclamp fitting for the Chronical fermenter lid with a 90 degree 12mm barb post it here. I have a 90 degree triclamp elbow and a triclamp to 12mm straight fitting but I'm not sure about my height clearances yet.

I grabbed a stainless pitcher from Kmart for $7 to feed the blowoff tube into.it should hang on the side handle nicely.

I was lucky to be surprised by the wife with a Chronical 7 today :) Happy days!!

Back