Brewtech SS fermenting vessels discussion thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 3/8" ball valve tap can't be taken apart.

The barbed tail could presumably be taken off (Guy at Bunnings showed me an almost identical tap in brass with a barbed tail that can be bought separately the the two screwed together) but that's as far as it can be dismantled.

Strikes me that this would be fine for a boiler but for a fermenter, chance of infection building up.

Bunnings can't help with a 3/8 three piece, does anyone know of a source for a 3/8" 3 piece ball valve?

edit: would it damage anything to take off any rubber o rings and boil the tap for half an hour or even pressure cook it after every use?

TSP sounds a bit toxic for me, I think i'm going to give it a decent wipe down and maybe soak with PBW mix and follow up with the starsan.

When I ran a LHBS in Maryborough in the late 1970s we used to bag up 500g lots of TSP out of a big sack for glass cleaning. :p Never had any bad effects but then it's all PC and cover your arse nowadays.

Might have two bob each way and head round to BILO for some rubber gloves :D

ed: and do all my glasses :beerbang:

Yeah I wonder how it would go in the dishwasher powder compartment to clean up a load of beer glasses.

Well as the Welsh Say,

there's interesting:

After nuking with a fairly strong solution (one cup to ten litres of hot water) TSP by standing it in a laundry bowl with the level of solution up over the legs and washing it inside and out with a soft cloth , the resulting water is a bit muddy, suggesting that even with the use of the sugar soap yesterday there were still remnants of flux or coating or whatever. So presumably it's now down to bare metal.

bb 6.jpg

yup would probably give the dishwasher a good cleanout as well.

TSMill said:
I can confirm they fit in a Westinghouse bar fridge (RA-141S) with ease.
Thankyou! Looks like all systems are GO on this one :beerbang:

I cleaned mine with Selleys Sugar Soap, rinsed, wiped dry and then sprayed with the recommended mix of starsan.

Maybe I hadn't cleaned them properly, but I noticed the runoff from the starsan mix was grey.

So I repeated the process and I'm fairly sure they're clean now.

The time it took me to re - clean, would be about as long as it would take me to tip out a couple of tainted batches and clean, if I hadn't.

Time investment well worth it.

Here's a piccy of the Brew Bucket next to a Bunnings 30L for comparison. I no longer have Coopers style barrels.

bb 7.jpg

Bribie G said:

The barbed tail could presumably be taken off (Guy at Bunnings showed me an almost identical tap in brass with a barbed tail that can be bought separately the the two screwed together) but that's as far as it can be dismantled.

Strikes me that this would be fine for a boiler but for a fermenter, chance of infection building up.

Bunnings can't help with a 3/8 three piece, does anyone know of a source for a 3/8" 3 piece ball valve?

edit: would it damage anything to take off any rubber o rings and boil the tap for half an hour or even pressure cook it after every use?
My prochem supplier can get 3/8 3 piece ball valves in. Not cheap but will last you a life time. Part number below;

VFB13010NGA

10 NPT (3/8″)

Sounds like a good long term investment. As they used to say in the 1960s :

emma chissit ?

alcoadam said:
Thankyou! Looks like all systems are GO on this one :beerbang:
I should qualify, that's with all the door shelving cut out...but you wouldn't get a regular fermenter in without doing that either.

I kegged some beers tonight so freeing up the fermenting fridge, my two fit easily height wise but will need a little door shelf trimming image.jpg

Natdene said:
I kegged some beers tonight so freeing up the fermenting fridge, my two fit easily height wise but will need a little door shelf trimming
attachicon.gif
image.jpg

Where's the value on the BB? Have you got it facing the rear of the fridge?

Edit...I see not fitted yet.

Batz

Batz said:
Where's the value on the BB? Have you got it facing the rear of the fridge?

Batz
Not installed yet Batz was just trying out the fit, but yes will fit with the valve facing out towards the door

Natdene said:
Not installed yet Batz was just trying out the fit, but yes will fit with the valve facing out towards the door
Yep noticed that, so whats the total height of the two?

And they are only 26lt right?

Batz

Batz said:
Yep noticed that, so whats the total height of the two?

And they are only 26lt right?

Batz
yes 26lt each and for two stacked it's 1052mm to top of the clip, 1055mm to top of bung plus your air lock or blow off tube

26lt is useless to me, nothing under 30lt in Batz Brewery.

Bribie G said:

Would imagine you'd have to screw a 3\8" ss nipple into the 3\8' three-piece valve to attach it to the BB?
Would the supplied pickup tube (with O-rings) fit firmly inside a standard 3\8" ss nipple? I have no idea but interested in finding out. :)
Just saying!
Of course you don't HAVE to use the pickup tube which might make things easier?

If you took the O-rings & the plastic handle off the valve before boiling what's left is just stainless & should be ok but why not just treat the supplied ss valve like any other ss valve in your brewery?

Surely a 24-hour soak (open AND closed 12 hours each) in 100% sodium perc or similar would suffice before rinsing, re-attaching to the BB then boiling a few litres of water with an immersion heater to sterilise everything before emptying through the supplied valve?

Latest posts

Back