Brewstand Design

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OT Beer fuelled comments :

Are Taper Flange Channels still available? I thought TFCs were phased out when they bought out all the PFCs down to 75mm web? (Along with RSJs)

RHS might mean rolled hollow section - but at the end of the day if you say SHS to a merchant they will know what you're refering to. We actually refer to RHS as "rocking horse shit" cause the size you're chasing is always "rare as ..." particularly at the moment with all the BER stimulus schools packages - 89 x 89 x 6 RHS is in high demand.

Also I ALWAYS send my enquiries marked as RHS for square and rectangular section and half the merchants list square section as SHS. I have never seen CHS refered to as RHS. CHS is often listed as being ERW - but all rolled hollow section to my knowledge is ERW? So lets be honest generic names are fine when every one knows what your talking about.

Last OT comment from me, but last time I looked, 3", 4" and 5" channels still had taper flanges...

Thanks everyone for your input.

and thanks Raven for your calculation, that was exactly what I was after.

Chappo, why do you up the amps when welding the internal corners ?

After I finished welding the 4 sides in place( and a few beers) I decided to test the flex.
I climbed ontop of it and it did flex under my almost 100 kilo weight.

so I will be adding 4 extra verticals, as originally planned.

I'll try and post some build progress shots.
I have modeled it in sketchup, but the file is to big to add to this post.

cheers
Moray

:icon_offtopic:

FFS! Way to go for busted talking shop you guys... :lol:

Enough TLAs to sink an MTB... :D

After I finished welding the 4 sides in place( and a few beers) I decided to test the flex.

No worries, look forward to the pictures!

Oops sorry for the shop talk! See what 4 years as a structural steel detail draftsman and 4 years as a fabrication workshop manager / procurement officer / estimator does to you. [edit : and too many cup day beverages]

Moray definately post pics!
And if you think of anything that stood out to you as a learning process as a beginner welder which might help others take the leap to grabbing a stick welder and giving it a go

cheers
Moray

Moray,

You could always add another pair of castors in the middle as well?
Just a thought.

TP

cheers
Moray

Why dont you run diagonals from each outside corner at 45 degrees to the top rail close to the centre, then put a veritical where these meet the top rail.
You'll get a bit of a truss happening and will be solid as you need.

Moray,

You could always add another pair of castors in the middle as well?
Just a thought.

TP

I'd actually advise against this - my reason being is that unless your on a perfectly level ground (and lets face it many of us have unlevel surfaces where we brew including many garages) your stand will rock on the middle set of castors and the outside sets will work as "training wheels" so to speak. I had this problem on my BBQ stand. In the end I found that removing the center set of wheels and putting in an adjustable leg solved all the issues and doubled as a second brake.
Hope that makes sence.

I made a little progress today, cutting and tacking in the vertical supports.

here are some photos

do you like my portable workbench :icon_cheers:
IMG_0177.JPG
IMG_0178.JPG

I've also made the top for the second tier, hopefully I will get a chance to attach it tomorrow.

Looks really good!

I recently bought a MIG with building a Brew Bench one of the first projects. I've got the steel (25x2 square section) and just need to draw up some plans.

Increasing the amps will up the weld penetration. On the corners I think you would want it higher because your going thru more metal (the length of the diagonal cross section, about 3.5mm I think), but I could be completly off track here.

Good luck with construction!

Looks great Moray.

Keep us updated!

Cheers

I made a little progress today, cutting and tacking in the vertical supports.

here are some photos

do you like my portable workbench :icon_cheers:
View attachment 32597
View attachment 32598

I've also made the top for the second tier, hopefully I will get a chance to attach it tomorrow.

the portable workbench is good but i have a prob with your lavender coloured harly in the background.
......cheers.....spog....

Looking good there Moray!

Once its finished you shall be an expert welder... I know my welding inproved out of site when I welded mine up.

Last OT comment from me, but last time I looked, 3", 4" and 5" channels still had taper flanges...

+1 Me too.

Looking good Moray.

Basically up the amps to get a better penetration in the weld otherwise all you are doing is bridging the gap.

Keep the photo's coming.

Chap Chap

Back