Brewstand Design

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moray

Reaction score
I have taken a week off work and have decided to start building my brewstand.

I'm using 2 mm thick 25mm shs.

brought a cheap cut off saw and arc welder on ebay, and am using the project to teach myself arc welding.
I'm building a two tier stand with the hlt higher so i can fly sparge with just one pump.

As my 100L kettle is 500mm in diameter i have used it to set the dimensions for the stand.
I have built the base 1500 by 500 divided into three 500mm squares, and then duplicated it for the top of the first tier.

I have tack welded a 470mm section onto each corner and then tacked on the top, giving my a height of 520mm for the first tier.
it will eventually be 600 high as I have 80mm casters to go on.

Does anyone know if a span of 1500 will be able to support all my filled vessels or will I have to add some more vertical sections to prevent it sagging in the middle ?

I have taken a week off work and have decided to start building my brewstand.

I'm using 2 mm thick 25mm shs.

brought a cheap cut off saw and arc welder on ebay, and am using the project to teach myself arc welding.
I'm building a two tier stand with the hlt higher so i can fly sparge with just one pump.

As my 100L kettle is 500mm in diameter i have used it to set the dimensions for the stand.
I have built the base 1500 by 500 divided into three 500mm squares, and then duplicated it for the top of the first tier.

I have tack welded a 470mm section onto each corner and then tacked on the top, giving my a height of 520mm for the first tier.
it will eventually be 600 high as I have 80mm casters to go on.

Does anyone know if a span of 1500 will be able to support all my filled vessels or will I have to add some more vertical sections to prevent it sagging in the middle ?

Lots of threads re this subject, the search function should turn up quite a few, mine is built from 25mm My Brewstand

Try the Bundaberg Constructions thread also.

Screwy

My 2 tier rig sounds similar refer to this Linky.

It has similar spans and used 25 SHS also.

I would recommend using some verticals to help form more of a truss like frame to help support heavier loads.

So yep 4 castors in each corner will be fine, but a mid-spaced vertical would be highly recommend imo.

Just the structural engineer in me dribbling on now....! Look forward to seeing some piccies! :icon_cheers:

You will need a framework something like Screwy's & raven's or something similar like the pic below. It all depends on how you want to set up your brewery. The one below is 1500mm X 500mm X 600mm (plus castors) overall but 30mm x 3mm RHS was used. Good luck with the welding.
Frame.JPG

TP

Here's mine fwiw:
reVox_brewstand1.jpg

2 tier for fly sparge, 100L vessel up top, 4 casters outside.

Have fun
reVox

Here's mine fwiw:
reVox_brewstand1.jpg

2 tier for fly sparge, 100L vessel up top, 4 casters outside.

Have fun
reVox
Very nice man...
sheets all over my recycled ,cobbled thingy...
Nice hops in the back ground...
Ferg

Makes mine look like............um.............a BBQ

gallery_7556_548_78345.jpg

One day ;)

(No rush mate, Moray has been a member since 2002 and is only building a stand now!)

Back ontopic, Moray - I would also check the rating of your castor wheels for the expected weight.

At the big green shed where I got my castors, they had weight ratings for them on the packet. I allowed for maximum weight of my 110L kettle plus its contents, plus another 50kg or so (to allow for the MT and frame) to be supported by 2 wheels at one end.

Highly unlikely the MT and the kettle will be full at the same time, but nonetheless I went for a slightly higher rated castor wheels than required just to be on the safe side.

2c.

Moray you will need verticals to hold the dead load of the full vessels without a doubt. 100lt of water will equal 100kgs of dead weight. I doubt very much that 25x2mm SHS over 1500mm span would support that kind of weight without sagging. Also 2mm thick tube is so much fun to weld <_< . Word of advice if your new to welding would be to test weld a few offcuts together, keep the AMPs low to start with and build it up till your happy that your not doing bird shyte welds. Also remeber to up the AMPs for internal corner welds.

:icon_offtopic: Just one for the metal workers/welders amongst us. The weekend just gone I finally finish the kids playground with the addition of a firemans pole. Anyway I ripped off one of my best ever stick welds on the damn thing in place that no one will ever be able to see. The weld was about 100mm long butt joint and the slag just nicely curled away revealing a pretty row of 20c coins nice and flat weld. Was so farkin' upset that it had to be on the playground. Why couldn't be on somewhere were I could show it off?
Good luck and have fun.

Chap Chap

Ha Moray,
not trying to be smart but the steel that you are talking about is called RHS ( rolled hollow section)

Cheers
mal :icon_cheers:

Ha Moray,
not trying to be smart but the steel that you are talking about is called RHS ( rolled hollow section)

Cheers
mal :icon_cheers:

Give the man a beer! :icon_cheers:

RHS = Rolled Hollow Section. NOT Rectangular Hollow Section as most people think. SHS is a generic name associated to Square Hollow Section and CHS is generally associated with Circular Hollow Section. In fact they all come under the heading of RHS.

Give the man a beer! :icon_cheers:

RHS = Rolled Hollow Section. NOT Rectangular Hollow Section as most people think. SHS is a generic name associated to Square Hollow Section and CHS is generally associated with Circular Hollow Section. In fact they all come under the heading of RHS.

You're not wrong there Chappo. Every steel merchant I've ever been to in my life has had the SHS marked as RHS & over the years I've got into the bad habit as well. :(
I love it when the slag on my weld starts curling up like a scorpion's tail before breaking under it's own weight. :super:

TP

:lol:

Wiat til you fella's get started on PFC, TFC, UB, UC and the difference between pipe and tube... :p

(Ignoring the nomenclature of SHS/RHS, etc...)

From an engineering strength calc:

Load - Based on a 100L kettle, say allow 1.5kN (include weight of kettle).

25 x 2 SHS Mbx = 0.46 kNm

M* = PL/4 = 0.56 kNm divide by 2 members (one each side) = 0.28 kNm - hence strength is ok.... but deflection will be around 18mm and this is span/100 ish. Too low, too significant. And this is only for 1 vessel, not 3.

Keeping in mind the addition of two more vessels will increase the bending moment, and the deflection.

Hence you will need some verticals to reduce the effective span, and help form a truss like structure.

(I knew I did 4 years of civil engineering at uni for something worthwhile! :p :lol: )

(Ignoring the nomenclature of SHS/RHS, etc...)

From an engineering strength calc:

Load - Based on a 100L kettle, say allow 1.5kN (include weight of kettle).

25 x 2 SHS Mbx = 0.46 kNm

M* = PL/4 = 0.56 kNm divide by 2 members (one each side) = 0.28 kNm - hence strength is ok.... but deflection will be around 18mm and this is span/100 ish. Too low, too significant. And this is only for 1 vessel, not 3.

Keeping in mind the addition of two more vessels will increase the bending moment, and the deflection.

Hence you will need some verticals to reduce the effective span, and help form a truss like structure.

(I knew I did 4 years of civil engineering at uni for something worthwhile!)

:huh:

Typical engineer has to write a novel just to say "Ahhh? Nope! Won't work, Fail! Try Again!" :lol:

@Schooey :lol: and lets not mention bonded beams, Parallel Flange Channels, Universal Beams, Universal Columns, Mild verse High Ten? Wait you already did?

Typical engineer has to write a novel just to say "Ahhh? Nope! Won't work, Fail! Try Again!" :lol:

Had to be sure of my numbers mate. :D

Its serious stuff this brewing mate, much more important than that 5 storey office building I designed... :ph34r:

Had to be sure of my numbers mate. :D

Its serious stuff this brewing mate, much more important than that 5 storey office building I designed... :ph34r:

5 story...would stand up on its own wouldn't it? no need for calcs there... the brew stand needs proper calcs so it doesn't break and we lose all that grain wort etc...

Latest posts

Back