• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

WTB: Bris steel brewstand fab

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meddo

Reaction score
Hey all, I'm going to soon need (want, whatever...) a new brewstand for my 84L 1V rig, will basically be a low stand on castors with an arm to hang a hoist off for lifting the malt pipe. Does anyone here have the skills themselves or able to recommend someone who could cut and weld up such a beast at a reasonable price? Would prefer stainless but will probably just go for mild steel as the cheaper option.

Also suppliers for square section stainless or mild steel, 45-ish mm?

Alternatively if anyone already has a similar stand you're looking at off-loading please let me know...

Thanks,

Would pallet racking suffice? You can usually find some decent racking on gumtree, and you can affix castors to it if not already attached.

Meddo,
My good buddy Taylor will be back from NZ in about a month and looking for work - he's rather talented in all sorts and makes some incredible custom stuff for customers - good tig welding skills if you want stainless. Where are you located? We're Geelong/Melb.

Hey Coxy, thanks for the suggestion but I'm actually wanting to move away from my current Bunnings rack-it stand to something more compact, hence likely to be bespoke matched to my rig. Space is at a premium in my little garage.

Hey Dave, that's what I'm after but in Brisbane unfortunately. Thanks though

There are some pretty talented blokes here where I work, I will ask around if any have the capacity to do the work you're after. Doing it in aluminium might also be an option, just for weight saving....

I'm gonna get my mill frame re-made in ally, just because it is so bloody heavy in mild steel. Don't forget to factor in the cost of painting/powder coating if you go the mild steel route.

Thanks Matplat. Yeah definitely happy with aluminium for the stand but not sure how well it would stand up to the malt pipe hoist in a simple cantilever without deforming over time.

Really really rough and out-of-scale pic of the sort of thing I'm after:

Dummy stand 02.png

You might want to have a look on grays or other auction houses. Sometimes a stainless heavy duty bench on castors turns up and you can bolt an arm to the side

Very much like that, yes - except no burners/mounts as I'm all electric. Only need it to hold a single pot, also.

Having built something similar, if your not bolting it down, ensure it is wide enough to be stable when the winch arm is swung either side.

i have a student who loves to weld.... he's pretty good on the tools under my direction
if you have the design / plan he could be interested.

always looking for ways to engage students and maybe give them some "commercial experience"

PM me if sounds like something that might work

Meddo said:
Hey Coxy, thanks for the suggestion but I'm actually wanting to move away from my current Bunnings rack-it stand to something more compact, hence likely to be bespoke matched to my rig. Space is at a premium in my little garage.
Ha! A garage is no place for cars! My garage has bicycles and brewing only. Cars get the driveway :).

Coxy said:
Ha! A garage is no place for cars! My garage has bicycles and brewing only. Cars get the driveway :).
Ha, who said anything about cars? Mine's about the same - bicycles and brew gear - I'm just trying to make space for more brew gear!

Ripper, thanks Maheel. I'm following up a few options but may be in touch about your student. I'm not in any great rush with this job, still waiting on the slow boat from China bearing parts for the kettle rebuild before I can finalise any designs.

all good

if you get a good design going i would be interested in one myself :)

I'm a fabricator of steel, stainless and alloy (mostly alloy) products for the last 17 years,
In Morayfield if you need some work done.

Back