Brew Food Utensils

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah.....shame...was going to get some furi knives but they spruik about being Australian knives when they are made in china.....

Camo6 said:
I've been looking at buying a couple of Shun knives recently and wondering if there are any lefties using the right handed knives comfortably? Or are there any styles that have more ambidextrous handles?

Can anybody recommend another brand of knife comparable to the Shun that they're smitten with?

Well, four years later and I finally dropped the coin on a Shun. Man, this thing is sharp. The handle is ambidextrous so no lefty woes there. It's the Kiritsuke model so the belly is not as deep as some of the other models and the steel slightly harder than the classics. Very happy with it and well worth the coin. Looks dead sexy too.

20170523_171335 (1280x960).jpg

Let's see some more knives people.

What's a shun set one back if you don't mind me asking? Sick of squashing tomatos every time I cut them [emoji23]

DJ_L3ThAL said:
What's a shun set one back if you don't mind me asking? Sick of squashing tomatos every time I cut them [emoji23]
This one set me back a couple of hundred with 10% off through paypal. A bit pricey but I've held off on a good chef's knife for too long and don't regret it. There are a lot of less expensive options but TBH, nothing looks quite so distinctive. Also, a 15hr shift at double bubble made it all too easy to justify with SWMBO!
Ofcourse, now I need the utility and paring knives to compliment the collection...

All digits still attached MB, but it's probably just a matter of time!

Thats one super sexy cutting implement Camo

A year or so ago I forked out for a damascus knife, but not quite as nice as that.

So nice to have something really sharp to keep the tomatos on their toes

DJ_L3ThAL said:
Cut tomatoes with a serrated knife like a decent bread knife.

I have a good set of knives from my chef days (all need a good sharpening though) but fared well with a Portugese bread knife I got for $25 back in the 90s. Still cuts tomatoes (and bread) beautifully.

manticle said:
Cut tomatoes with a serrated knife like a decent bread knife.

I have a good set of knives from my chef days (all need a good sharpening though) but fared well with a Portugese beead knife I got for $25 back in the 90s. Still cuts tomatoes (and bread) beautifully.
Someone gave us a little serrated Zwilling/Henckel knife awhile back. Brilliant on tommies.

Latest posts

Back