Cheap Hops Full Details

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1. The AA% for the hops are as follows:
Hall: 3.7
Tett: 3.9
Cluster: 5.3
Nugget: 9.8
PoR: 10.4
PoR+: 13

There ya go Ross.....

No they weren't part of the bulk buy, but they were short some of the cluster and nugget so slipped in a few kilos of tettnang to make up the difference. Only a few lucky brewers were able to benefit.

Cheers
Andrew

Interesting.
So they did not actually have a cut of point ie a certain amount of cluster and nugget, where they would turn around and say "that it, no more left".

They just went and filled in the extra amounts with the supposedly "unavailable" styles.

Thanks to the whingers that spoilt the sale.

DJR said:
Got my stash yesterday, thanks Michael! Put on a batch using the Tettnang last night, one thing though, what's this year's AA %'s or should we just use last years?
[post="127543"][/post]​

I thought the Tettnang were not included anymore in the buy.
Just the POR and Cluster.

How did you sneak those in DJR?

cheers
johnno

No they weren't part of the bulk buy, but they were short some of the cluster and nugget so slipped in a few kilos of tettnang to make up the difference. Only a few lucky brewers were able to benefit.

Cheers
Andrew

Interesting.
So they did not actually have a cut of point ie a certain amount of cluster and nugget, where they would turn around and say "that it, no more left".

They just went and filled in the extra amounts with the supposedly "unavailable" styles.

Thanks to the whingers that spoilt the sale.

1. The AA% for the hops are as follows:
Hall: 3.7
Tett: 3.9
Cluster: 5.3
Nugget: 9.8
PoR: 10.4
PoR+: 13

There ya go Ross.....

why so low? Dont nugget normaly sit around 12-14%?

Edit: Ignore me, I just read they can go as low as 7%.........stupid book making me look dumb

So how many actually got the Hallertau and Tettnang?

For the Sydney/Wollongong group I was sent half of the nugget/cluster as hall/tett respectively so I ended up splitting everyone's orders half/half - it seemed the only fair way to go.

mycle.

I got some of both the nobles. Great aroma. I have three beers all in various states of fermentation with the tazzy hops. An English Bitter with nugget at 20 mins and 31 IBUs of Pride plus at 60 (for the NSW Xmas in July case), a Porter with P+ again with Cluster for 20 and a Koelsch-ish ale with Tettnang all thru with a little help from some nugget at 60. Friends have brewed a hallertau Koelsh and a Nugget/Cascade APA.

Has anyone else brewed with them yet?

I got a few in the Bulk Order to make up.
I hung onto them myself :) and passed them on to anyone that ordered over 4kgs in the bulk order
The Melbourne order got pretty much what was ordered (the second time).

Johnno,
If you are real keen for some of these for flame out I can give you some of mine.

"I feel I still owe you one from the March bulk buy you did last year..."

I will be in Melbourne on Friday night visiting a mate.
PM me before I build a hopback this weekend.

Luke
:super:

I ordered 1kg of Tett which was changed to Nugget and then I received the Tett on arrival at my HBS here in Canberra...?!
It's in a plastic bag, with the glad wrap untouched, in the freezer - I better airlock it soon - there's no smell in the freezer but I think I'm pushing my luck...

TL

Is this bulk buy going to happen again this or next year?

I am keen to order again,this time to make things easy why not just 1 kg blocks only,brewers can split between thier own up. $13.00 who cares :p

Batz

Batz,
You are asking in the wrong forum.
The buy was organised by Graham Sanders.
Suggest you email him direct or post to Oz Craftbrewers.

Peter

Has anybody heard whether Graham Sanders is going to try and organise this again? I know it wasn't exactly the smoothest deal last time so I wouldn't be surprised if the plug was pulled on another effort, but anyway, if it did happen to go ahead, I am interested in participating.

:beer:

Has anybody heard whether Graham Sanders is going to try and organise this again? I know it wasn't exactly the smoothest deal last time so I wouldn't be surprised if the plug was pulled on another effort, but anyway, if it did happen to go ahead, I am interested in participating.

I'm not sure but I'd bet yes. He mentioned it again in the latest podcast. He's done this for a long time, I just think that last year was the biggest.

regards
Scott

At the conclusion of last year's deal, Graham said on OCB that this year should be smoother. He indicated that there'd be a good chance of noble hops being widely available too, rather than just being a bonus. That's OK if you like the tettnanger, but I chucked my hallertau after brewing with them twice. Feral (or mislabelled Nugget, perhaps?).

Just checked thru my OCB folder (wow there's a lot of mails in there) and got this, dated 23/5/06

The problems we had this year should be well and truly sorted by next year, including getting nobel hops to all. So we can do this all again next year.

EDIT: Ah, pipped by Scott. Go the IBU's! ;)

At the conclusion of last year's deal, Graham said on OCB that this year should be smoother. He indicated that there'd be a good chance of noble hops being widely available too, rather than just being a bonus. That's OK if you like the tettnanger, but I chucked my hallertau after brewing with them twice. Feral (or mislabelled Nugget, perhaps?).

I read somewhere that Aussie Tettnang is actually mislabelled Fuggles, but i guess that could always be the Hallertau. I was always scared of using it, did use some Tettnang that wasn't too bad. The PoR+ is the pick though, i never would have thought that it would actually give as clean a bitterness as it did. Will be interesting to see what happens with the 07 buy.

Excellent, sounds like something might happen next year then... Good news!

I had some Super Pride a while back and it smelt absolutely awesome in the packet - really fruity. I didn't use it as a late hop but I was tempted based on the aroma of the raw article.

Those who did it last year, what did you think of the Aussie Nugget? Did it have an "American" flavour to it?

I used mine in English style bitters & porters. I didn't mind the flavour but found it difficult to describe :( although it is quite distinctive.
Wouldn't say there were any "American" notes there though - I assume you're meaning citrus (a la Cascade etc).

Thanks RobW,

Yeah, I mean the classic American citris-type flavour - ie cascade/centennial/chinook etc

The American Nugget is apparently meant to be a substitute for Columbus or Chinook, so that's why I thought it might have that "American" flavour...

TD

IIRC the notes Graham Sanders posted at the time recommended it for English styles.

You'd certainly be disappointed with it in an APA.

I used it both as a bittering hop with late additions of Goldings and for both bittering & flavour.
It tended to disappear into the background when used just for bittering but was quite distinct as a late addition.

I wouldn't say it's a favourite but it's OK for a change & as a bittering hop the price was certainly right.

Rob

Back