Cheap Hops Full Details

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone tried splitting one of these 1kg lumps yet? jeeezus they're compressed. Started off with the bread knife on the kitchen bench - not chance....ended up using a bloody wood saw! Hops everywhere! :lol:
Cheers
Steve

mmm cant wait to pick mine up tommorow...

Think of using it to bitter my Porter...
FWH Nugget and then probably halertau for a little bit of flavour!

Steve said:
Anyone tried splitting one of these 1kg lumps yet? jeeezus they're compressed. Started off with the bread knife on the kitchen bench - not chance....ended up using a bloody wood saw! Hops everywhere! :lol:
Cheers
Steve

I split one last night using a chef's knife to pry it into smaller peices.

Completely filled 4 large snap lock sandwich bags :blink:

Anyone found a store in Canberra that sells tupperware type containers that one of these still compressed would be a good fit in?

Don't have enough freezer space to split the other two and I don't want to leave them in just the glad wrap :ph34r:

PZ.

MHD - bring a big zip lock back when you pick yours up....Ive re-wrapped it in new glad wrap but thats not going to hold.
FB - I re-wrapped mine in glad wrap and then put it into a plastic bag until I can find a big enough tupperware container. Will have to be quick! Maybe a trip to Big W tomorrow morning.
Cheers
Steve

Steve, I went to Big W yesterday and there was nothing suitable for holding an un-split one...and after last night's effort, I am certain I don't have the space to hold them all once split :eek:

Might check out the cheapo shops over the weekend.

PZ.

i'll look after half a brick for you - honest! ;)
cheers
steve

It wasn't me, i decided to hang on with the buy even though i couldn't get Tett/Hall in the buy, so i changed to cluster and pride plus. Lucky me, i ended up getting half the Cluster as Tett since the hops guys seemed to not have enough or were too disorganised.

I bought some gallon size ziplocks from the IGA down the street, 20 for $2.50 - they fit quite a lot in there, i'd say easily a kilo if you unpress it or split it in half. Ideally though tupperware would be the go, or maybe one of those white bucket/pail things from bunnings (handy pail).

Got my Cluster, Nugget and POR but disaster has struck. I put them in the freezer still in the glad wrap until I could get out and get some containers today and some condensation has made the writing run on the labels. :( Which is which? :unsure:

I know which one is Cluster (the label had a kink in it and the aroma is distinct) but how can I tell the Nugget and POR apart, what is the defining aroma of each?

Otherwise there may be a lot of "beer surprise" this year.

Cheers, Andrew.

MM,
The POW have a stronger and more pungent smell than the Nugget. Also the POW are stickier (more resinous?) than the nugget which is quite dry and flakey.
While we are on the subject, The fridge in which I have stored these hops in double ziplock bags, has the most wonderful aroma. The problem with this, I feel, is that the better the fridge smells, the worse the beer will be further down the track because of hops degradation. When somebody gets onto a good airtight method of storing these, please tell the world.

Tony M

"When somebody gets onto a good airtight method of storing these, please tell the world."

The only 'Air-tight' method Id say is the "Use them soon" method..!!

unless you're near Ross, or the like, with a vacuum sealer... B) :D

Tony M said:
MM,
The POW have a stronger and more pungent smell than the Nugget. Also the POW are stickier (more resinous?) than the nugget which is quite dry and flakey.
While we are on the subject, The fridge in which I have stored these hops in double ziplock bags, has the most wonderful aroma. The problem with this, I feel, is that the better the fridge smells, the worse the beer will be further down the track because of hops degradation. When somebody gets onto a good airtight method of storing these, please tell the world.
[post="127815"][/post]​

Thanks Tony,

I think I sorted it out, the slightly stronger one I deemed to be POR. Brewing with them will tell me for sure, or if I can't tell it won't matter. :p

Here's a photo of my plugs in 5 lt $2 containers that dear beloved bought me from the reject shop today.

DSC01336.JPG

Cheers, Andrew.

Linz said:
Tony M

"When somebody gets onto a good airtight method of storing these, please tell the world."

The only 'Air-tight' method Id say is the "Use them soon" method..!!

unless you're near Ross, or the like, with a vacuum sealer... B) :D
[post="127818"][/post]​

You can buy a vaccuum sealer and bags from k-mart/target. Around $40.

cheers
darren

Tony M said:
MM,
[post="127815"][/post]​

TonyM
If you are coming to Barfridges brewday then I will bring my vacuum sealer. Just pay me for the bags or get some yourself to use they are the foodsaver type. I am not sure if the ones Ross sells will work but I can't see why they wont.

Steve said:
Cheers
Steve
[post="127578"][/post]​

I started with the bread knife splitting them in half like so you had 2 semi circle halves but that was too much work and I had about 40kgs to split.

It is much easier to split them into plates - they seem to naturally split this way.

hth
mycle.

Has anybody tried a chainsaw on them yet? :p

cheers
johnno

A good sharp meat cleaver will make short work of them

Don't ask me how I know

Cheers

Can someone tell me what the final AA was for the Nugget please?

I just recieved some, but there's no AA marked.

cheers Ross

Latest posts

Back