Brew Food Utensils

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony

Quality over Quantity
Reaction score
Hey folks.

Something different.

Hers it the place to show off any flash bang top notch, or just plain old cool things, you have to cook your tucka.

after starting to talk knives with Bonj and Merc, i thought i would start a new thread to keep it on topic. I have seen other threads asking about pots and pans ect.

This will keep it central for reffernce years down the track

I will start it off with my 3 beloved Shun knives. I always wanted then but couldnt afford them. A couple months working in PNG brought in some extra cash so i got some new roller doors on the garage, my wife a new digital camera and the knives for myself. Im glad i did now cause i couldnt afford them now and they last a looooooooooooong time if you look after them.

I got the 25cm classic Chef's knife and the 8.5cm classic paring knife. I later bought the 20cm classic scolloped chef's knife but it's much the same as the 25cm one.

Im thinking of selling off the 20cm one to get the 17cm scolloped santoku knife or maybe the carving knife. but i have a Wusthof one already... not as good as a Shun though!

here they are

Shunknives1728x1152.jpg

ShunKnivesclose1728x1152.jpg

IMG_5838.jpg

I love this pic..... the timber of the dinning table and the knife.......... it just works!

IMG_5837.jpg

cheers

thats a good looking set of knifes you have there

Sorry for the bad picture, but the knife isn't that nice looking anymore anyway LOL

My Dad used to own a butcher shop in Minnesota (USA) and I worked for him for many long hours.

When I was 12 , he bought me a Chicago Cutlery Boning Knife (I think it's a 72S)

This knife has been with me through 3 countries, 4 houses Many Many roasts, chickens, sheep, pigs and cows.

So, while it may not look like much, it is an amazing piece of cutlery, and holds a FANTASTIC edge.

04012010.jpg

Oh Tony what have you started?!

This is my collection of beloved knives. My wife bought me the 25cm classic chefs knife which I use alot and also on my TV show. I eventually approached Shun about sponsoring me with a couiple of more knives to use on the show - what you thought I bought them all! They love the show and so sent me the Granton Suntoku (scalloped 3rd from top) the Classic Paring the bottom knife, the kai Shun Nakiri 2nd from the top and the profession series sashimi 4th from top. The classic Nakiri was a gift from a charity group I had done some work for and the butchers knife was given to me by a butcher who showed me how to cut up a beef carcus on the show. Shun have a boning knife but I really dont know if you can beat a good old butchers boning knife. I have been eying off their bread knife....

I also got the shun electric sharpener which works bloody brilliantly but not on the one sided professional knifes. It also sharpens all my other kitchen knives.

To be honest a chefs knife and a paring knife is all you really need and maybe the boning knife all the others are great to have but for show really. Mind you the sashim knife cuts through fish so beautifully and both the Nakiri are great for doing julienne vegies. The only knife I dont like that much is the Suntoku - it doesnt seem to hold it's edge that well - maybe I should sell that also and buy the bread knife?

They are lovely but!

P1040004_2.JPG

Oh the sharpener is a porcelain sharpener. Apparently that is what you are supposed to use with the Shun - soft steel. What do you use Tony??? I sometimes use my diamond steel as it works exceptionally well.

Have a look at this site as they seem to be bloody good on the prices and availability - http://www.everten.com.au/category/Shun-Knives.html/

Hey Paul.

I have a steel but not a good diamond or porcelain one. My knives get used elmost every day but not demanding work that requires constant touchups and there sharp enough for my use. I really look after them to keep tham sharp.

I plan to have them profesionally sharpened ever 12 months or so. I think it costs $25 each to send them away but i guess that would pay for the porcelain sharpener. which do you recomend for these knives mate?

Merc

I was going to say that you have a good old victorinox butchers knife...

Hey Paul.

I have a steel but not a good diamond or porcelain one. My knives get used elmost every day but not demanding work that requires constant touchups and there sharp enough for my use. I really look after them to keep tham sharp.

I plan to have them profesionally sharpened ever 12 months or so. I think it costs $25 each to send them away but i guess that would pay for the porcelain sharpener. which do you recomend for these knives mate?

Tony - I have been advised by the people from Knives r us that the porcelain sharpeners are best for the knives but I get better results from the diamond steel but may shaving off more knife then I should. The shun electric sharpener is a frightening sounding thing and feels like I am using an angle grinder to sharpen my knives but it does work a treat. I would use the electric sharpener once a year, the diamond steel once every month and the porcelain before and after I am cooking depending on the edge.

I may give shun a call and see what they recommend. They do recommend sending there one sided professional knives to them to be sharpened. I have on occassion gently given them an easy swipe down the diamond on one side only and rarely.

Ducatiboy Stu - I think you did say it... It is a good knife - doesnt hold it's edge but a swipe or two down a steel or better a diamond steel and it is surgical! Good shape for sliceing raw corned silver side into jerky strips!

Would be great to find out what they recomend. Will put them down for Bday / fathers day sugestions.

cheers

To be honest a chefs knife and a paring knife is all you really need and maybe the boning knife all the others are great to have but for show really.

Agreed, a chef's knife and a paring knife is all I really need. Though I do like a utility knife for cutting cheese for a sandwich late at night. And a nice long bread knife. And a tomato knife when I find using a steak knife too crass for my tomatoes. And a set of old bone-handled Sheffield butter knives. And the funny second-hand curvy blade knife in my drawer that I think is a mincing knife or a pizza cutter but works well as a cleaver. And a couple Laguiole pocket knives for cutting stuff on the run.

But yes, I do think a chef's knife and a paring knife are sufficient. To actually stay on topic, I received a wsthof trident 20-cent chef's and a paring knife for christmas, but unfortunately they came with a knife block so I'm already dreaming about being able to afford the rest of the collection.

Got my wife a set of these for Xmas 2008. She seems to like them.
IMG_1730.jpg

Mitch :)

I have to show off my pride and joy, a S/S spit built by yours truely. Nothing better than a boned leg of pork all crackled up nicely.

spit1.JPG

spit2.JPG

Cheers

Browndog

Very VERY close to pulling the trigger on a Shun kinife purchase.

I've been bitching for years about the quality of my knives, the way they massacre perfectly good produce rather than slice.

Thanks to Tony for directing me to this link but before i spend my life savings a few questions.

Care and maintenance - dishwasher or normal handwashing?

Is the Whetstone (Link) sufficient for sharpening these beasts or should i be investing in a sharpening steel/porcelain?

:eek:

You sharpen your Shuns with a diamond steel?

sacrilege!

I bought these last year...

P7300090.JPG

I'm really happy with them. They keep a very sharp edge for long periods, depending on what I do with them obviously... I only sharpen them on a wetstone (1000/6000 grit) and finish them on a strop. There is some really good info on sharpening Japanese steel out there if you have a google..

They're a good investment, Smurto, you'll love 'em

a thing of beauty there BD. Can you cook a whole lamb or pig with that hood though? and is it gas or elect?

It's gas Fents and no, its only about 20inches wide so it would have to be a very small lamb or suckling pig to get a whole one on.

Oh Tony what have you started?!

This is my collection of beloved knives. My wife bought me the 25cm classic chefs knife which I use alot and also on my TV show. I eventually approached Shun about sponsoring me with a couiple of more knives to use on the show - what you thought I bought them all! They love the show and so sent me the Granton Suntoku (scalloped 3rd from top) the Classic Paring the bottom knife, the kai Shun Nakiri 2nd from the top and the profession series sashimi 4th from top. The classic Nakiri was a gift from a charity group I had done some work for and the butchers knife was given to me by a butcher who showed me how to cut up a beef carcus on the show. Shun have a boning knife but I really dont know if you can beat a good old butchers boning knife. I have been eying off their bread knife....

I also got the shun electric sharpener which works bloody brilliantly but not on the one sided professional knifes. It also sharpens all my other kitchen knives.

To be honest a chefs knife and a paring knife is all you really need and maybe the boning knife all the others are great to have but for show really. Mind you the sashim knife cuts through fish so beautifully and both the Nakiri are great for doing julienne vegies. The only knife I dont like that much is the Suntoku - it doesnt seem to hold it's edge that well - maybe I should sell that also and buy the bread knife?

They are lovely but!

You don't find the carving knife as something you use often?

My Knives

3 of them I have had for about 15yrs.... been great knives

knives.jpg

My shun kives arrived last night.

Bought the 20 cm chefs knife and the 15 cm utility knife.

Made pumpkin soup last night and the chefs knife went through a whole pumpkin (jap) like it was hot butter.

Went through the crisper finding other veg to chuck in the soup as an excuse to keep using the knife. :p

Wow, just wow. These beasts are amazing.

Latest posts

Back