Bottle! Bottles Everywhere!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kocken42

Reaction score
Hellllooooooo,

I was at a concert last weekend in Fremantle, WA, and was pleasantly surprised to see the only beer being served was Little Creatures!

They had all the styles available in 330ml bottles and the Pale Ale available in pint sized bottles.

This got me thinking that if you are looking for a source of free bottles, these events could be a great opportunity.

I'm sure the organisers wouldn't mind if you get a few crates worth as it reduces their costs in terms of rubbish removal, and you could even collect some, wash and re-sell to offset your homebrewing expenses.

So I guess keep an eye out for concerts being held at the Freo Art Centre and check to see if it's all good. I'm sure this idea can be applied to many event and has been utilised before, but for the new brewers who are looking for decent bottles at low cost...this could be the way to go!

when i was looking to stock up, i went to the local pub and the manager said i could have the empty bottles from the night before. Bin rat it up.

when i was looking to stock up, i went to the local pub and the manager said i could have the empty bottles from the night before. Bin rat it up.

At the risk of sounding like a complete bin rat, here in Canberra I go to the local tip, which has a Revolve recycling centre as part of the setup (where you can take unwanted items and they sell them to the public for a pittance)
They have big skip bins there for people to put all their glass and plastics, etc in, and I have been a familiar face foraging through there on occasions. Just last week I hit homebrewer gold - someone had obviously decided to give up home brewing, as in the bin I found - neatly stacked - 60 crown seal longnecks, all clean and without labels. Over the past months, I reckon I have scored well over a hundred longnecks from there for nothing- most of them screwtops, but they do the job.

I have more than enough bottles for myself now, as I am about to start kegging, so I'm more than happy to share my bin-ratting turf with anyone else in Canberra that doesnt live to for from the Mitchell Tip.

Barto

hey hey

another good way to raise the bottling fund is to simply have all your mates over for a bbq or the footy and collect all the bottles.

dickman

hey hey

another good way to raise the bottling fund is to simply have all your mates over for a bbq or the footy and collect all the bottles.

dickman

Yeah, i asked my dad to start drinking out of long necks but he said no haha!
But yeah, i regularly do that.

hey hey

...and demand that the beer brought be in non screw-top long-necks!

You'll have better bottles and a sense of power if your friends obey your commands!

I got my initial batch of bottles from a dedicated glass recycling plant in Ballarat. Picked up about 100 longnecks for $10. I shouldn't really say this, but I also had a client in my last job who used to drink four boxes of longnecks a week (thus he was a client), so I got quite a few from him too...since the original batch I tend to have a pretty good recycling system with friends. I don't accept stubbies, but anything pint sized and larger is graciously accepted. In fact I must say that as a basis for a barter-style economy I have done quite well out of home brew over the years.

I shouldn't really say this, but I also had a client in my last job who used to drink four boxes of longnecks a week (thus he was a client), so I got quite a few from him too...

Dont tell me, you were a drug and alcohol councellor? "Mr Smith, you need to stop drinking, but all in good time, just another month of Coopers bingeing then we'll talk about strategies to ween you off the booze"

I shouldn't really say this, but I also had a client in my last job who used to drink four boxes of longnecks a week (thus he was a client), so I got quite a few from him too...since the original batch I tend to have a pretty good recycling system with friends. I don't accept stubbies, but anything pint sized and larger is graciously accepted. In fact I must say that as a basis for a barter-style economy I have done quite well out of home brew over the years.

Similar story here. I've got a heavy (coopers only) drinking colleague, so I'm always in stock with great glass.

I am only too happy to take a brews worth (2 crates? 28 bottles) of coopers longnecks (empty I assume :rolleyes: ) off your hands if you dont want them or have spare :)

Will be perfect for case swaps when I finally get into them :)

rendo

Similar story here. I've got a heavy (coopers only) drinking colleague, so I'm always in stock with great glass.

I am only too happy to take a brews worth (2 crates? 28 bottles) of coopers longnecks (empty I assume :rolleyes: ) off your hands if you dont want them or have spare :)

Will be perfect for case swaps when I finally get into them :)

rendo

will keep you posted if the pile ever gets too big. They are all in rotation at the moment, but I might make a pickup from my pal again in the next few months.

Its not what you know... Its who you know...

05122009608.jpg

05122009607.jpg

Taking delivery of LOTS of Coopers Tallies - Washed - No Labels. Split down the guts between 3 of us! :beerbang:

Uncontrollable hatred welling...

Unable to compose complete sentences...

Dang whats that about 1000 bottles, give or take?

SHIT....Thats a lot of bottles!!

its a love / hate thing

Its not what you know... Its who you know...

Taking delivery of LOTS of Coopers Tallies - Washed - No Labels. Split down the guts between 3 of us! :beerbang:

I think about 750....

Nevelicious, I really don't think you should able to post anymore :icon_drool2:

I think about 750....

Nevelicious, I really don't think you should able to post anymore :icon_drool2:

Bob, you were the closest... It was about 225 something per layer, 4 layers...

Nice... Best of all, no washing labels off!

Psst...

Total bottles = 900

Beerdrinkingbob's guess = 750
Siloteds guess = 1000

;)

Nice score on the bottles anyways! I have plenty of access to new wine bottles, pity they don't hold carbonated beer (safely).

Back