Oxygenation experiments with hydrogen peroxide

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adr_0

Gear Bod
Reaction score
Two guys walk into a bar. The first says "I'll have a great big glass of H2O" - he drinks it and walks away. The second guy says "I'll have a great big glass of H2O, too"... but we don't know what happened to him.

Like a few other people, I have been curious to see if H2O2 is a possible alternative to using bottled oxygen or shaking. The cost and simplicity is appealing, but there is possibly a negative impact on yeast health (counter to the point of oxygenation) and flavour/aroma effects.

There have been some great experiments in the O2 thread, and like these guys I wanted to see for myself rather than endlessly hypothesise. So I started a quick experiment yesterday.

A few points on the beer and common points:
- Wort was base, some German caramels, all Challenger to 1040 and 35-40IBU's. SG was a bit down due to a doughball issue.
- Yeast was frozen 1275, which had been slowly unfrozen and 'revived' with 500mL of weak starter. If ever there was a bunch of cells that needed O2 I would say this would be appropriate.
- The slurry was then added to a 1L starter, mixed for about 15min (by hand) and split in the following manner:
> 500mL onto stirplate into 12L of wort for control batch
> 150mL into 3 x glasses for 3 x tests into 2L test batches
> Yeast in the 3 x test batches was static, expecting oxygenation from H2O2 vs the control which was on a stirplate

I framed the experiment around the following:
- Control, being batch with yeast on stirplate for ~6hrs, hopefully showing oxygenation but not significant growth
- 1, being 150mL yeast starter with 4mL of 1.2% H2O2(12% diluted as 20g made up to 200g with distilled water) straight into the yeast
- 2, being 4mL of 1.2% H2O2 added to the wort, adding 150mL yeast starter 40min later
- 3, being 150mL yeast starter added to wort, 20min later adding 4mL 1.2% H2O2 solution

I used Lyrebird_Cycles' method detailed here

The 4mL of 1.2% was based on approximately 12ppm O2 target in 2L of wort, but also diluted to aid mixing. Test batch 1, given it was added to 150mL of starter, copped 160ppm H2O2 which would either make or break it....

I wanted to evaluate H2O2 impact in four ways:
- Dissolved oxygen measurements
- Visual indicators, largely krausen or flocculation
- Gravity measurements
- Sensory (aroma/flavour) indicators

A 3200ppm methylene blue solution was made up (3.2g diluted up to 1kg with distilled water), which was then diluted down to 1600ppm with 100g made up to 200g, then 160ppm with 20g made up to 200g – which should represent 16ppm O2. This was then serially diluted into 12ppm O2, 8ppm O2, 4, 2, 1ppm O2 standards:
standards.jpg

A few introductory pics:
Test containers for each test wort/yeast/H2O2
test containers.jpg
Test jars for DO samples:
test-jars.jpg
Yeast splits:
yeast-splits.jpg

Unfortunately my beer was yellowy red (dickhead!) so I should had added some yellow food colouring to make the standards a little more representative. Anyway.
Measurements of the base wort for each one were taken:
- Control was 0-1pppm
- Batches 1, 2, 3 were all 1-2ppm which is likely from transfer to each of the test containers. The below pic shows a sample with no methylene blue indicator (left) vs indicator in, and the 1ppm standard in the background. All three tests were similarly, likely 1-2ppm.
no ind vs intiial 1-2.jpg

DO measurements were taken every 20min, with events – yeast or H2O2 additions – shown on the graph. In each, a strong methylene blue solution was added – approx. 0.5mL – and lightly swirled, with resulting colour assessed. Colour indication was a little hard, so I also made up a ‘saturated’ sample with 12% H2O2 dumped in, and a ‘reduced’ sample with ascorbic acid dumped in. I also had a ‘no indicator’ vial to illustrate the difference.

Measurements are below:…
DO numbers.png

A few example pics. Test 1, comparing 20min after pitching H2O2'd yeast starter into the wort vs the reduced sample (left) and the saturated sample (right). I'd say 1ppm or less - basically no blue/green there at all:
1P-29min-vsRed.jpg 1P-20min-vsSat-1-4ppm.jpg

Test 2, 40min after adding the H2O2, just before yeast pitch, as compared to the reduced sample (left) and saturated sample (right). I'd say 12-16ppm:
2H-40min-vsRedvsSat.jpg

Test 3, 20min after adding H2O2 where the yeast was already in suspension. Left one is 35min after adding H2O2 with yeast, while right is only 20min after. Possibly 4ppm on the right vs <2ppm on the left?
3PH-75min.jpg 3PH-60min-20afterH2O2-vsRed.jpg

Gravity readings I will update over the coming days, but appear to be similar: essentially all three have gone from 1040 to 1032 in 12hrs, with batch three potentially only at 1033.

Sources of error:
- Sample collection was actually pretty good. My LODO method, post boil, seems to not pick up any O2 and this held on for 60min to not indicate any blue/green tint when compared with the reduced sample:
control-60min-vsRed.jpg
- Colour indication was a big one. For some stupid reason I decided to make a tasty, malty ale rather than a wit bier. A control for this would have been adding some yellow food colouring to the standards.
- DO measurement would have been very accurate with a DO meter. I could have potentially hired one, but I wasn’t able to arrange one unfortunately.
- Gravity readings are being taken with a refractometer. Light source is consistent (only during the day) but there may be a 0.1% Brix error.
- Mixing in the samples. I did do a decent rock back and forth and try to wait 20min or so for mixing to occur, but it is quite possible that there was not adequate mixing.

Conclusions – so far:
- It seems like adding H2O2 does increase the O2 content. There is an evident spectrum of blue from a completely reduced solution to a saturated solution.
- Yeast does indeed reduce the O2 as every mark past 40min was lower in O2.
- There did not seem to be a visual effect of adding H2O2 directly to the yeast.
- A 160ppm dose to the 150mL starter didn’t seem to kill the yeast – given gravity has dropped in line with the other three batches.
Next points:
- Gravity over the next few days may reveal something
- Sensory tests will be a really big test. Batch 2 had H2O2 added and floating around for 40min before yeast was added and managed to get up to 12-16ppm, so this may taste different to other batches. Inversely batch 1 didn’t really get above 1-2ppm IN THE WORT at any stage, though it is presumed the starter was quite high.

I possibly forgot to include this in the original discussion but the way to make the standards independent of wort / beer colour is relatively simple:

Firstly, make up all the standards in distilled water, not wort or beer.

When testing a wort or beer, make up an extra tube of clean wort / beer with no methylene blue addition.

To do the comparison, place this side by side with the sample being tested in front of the light source and place one of the standards behind the no addition tube.

Look through the test sample to the light source. Look through the clean sample plus standard to the light source.

Compare

D'oh! That would have been a good idea. I had varying degrees of break in the samples - primarily the early ones - so there are a few sources of error there.

I'm hoping that the sensory part of the experiment yields some results - hopefully I can get the samples through quickly and into bottles without too many dramas.

So the second round of gravity readings are in:

The control - stirplate with no H2O2 is leading, a few points ahead of the next player. Krausen is starting to form on this one. Krausen is also on #3, where yeast was pitched then H2O2.
Gravity-19thMay.png

1 and 2 - where H2O2 was straight into the starter, or the wort was pre-H2O2'd - don't have krausen yet.

Original gravity 1040
Gravity at +19.5hrs
Control - 1028
1 - 1030
2 - 1031
3 - 1031

Looking forward to the next few days. I've avoided the sensory evaluation so far and will start a few days after terminal gravity.

Good job Adro.

I love the fact that the stir plate control is similar (6hrs instead of 4hrs) to the vitality method Mardoo has mentioned in the O2 thread. Agree that the DO measuring instrument will be a better indicator, but you have taken it to the step to prove that in wort conditions O2 is converted and used up by the yeast.

I strongly suspect (not yet fully backed up by my sensory tests) that oxidation with the wort is unavoidable with H2O2, but great experiment. Not wishing to hijack your thread, but I may post my final results here in a few months time, when my oxidation results (for what they're worth) are in.

Cheers for taking it to the level you have.

I'm leaning towards #2 - where H2O2 was added to the wort before the yeast - ending up the worst in sensory indicators. I wonder if #1 will preserve the most malt flavours but have some yeast stress character, and if #3 will be the best balance.

If anything comes up better than the control, I'll be happy.

Next lot of gravities. All have krausen up now, with the Control having dropped a little krausen already. Samples are at 37hrs.
Control - 1.026
#1 - 1.027
#2 - 1.030
#3 - 1.029
Gravity-20thMay.png

Looks like #2 is performing the worst out of everything. I wonder if the H2O2 just oxidised the malt/hops and didn't decompose into O2? This is the only one of the tests where yeast catalase wasn't present to help the decomposition to O2.

Next lot of gravities/attenuation:
Gravity-21stMay1.png
Att-21stMay1.png

So the control is comfortably ahead! Gravity/attenuation isn't everything, but it's still going to take a very clean and flavoursome beer from either 1, 2 or 3 to convince me that these offer a better alternative to the stirplate used in the Control.

EDIT: for those wondering about slightly different shapes, I added another decimal of precision in Beersmith which has shifted a couple up or down a bit.

Pass
I'm not interested in putting Barium Peroxide into my beer.
Mark

MHB said:
Pass
I'm not interested in putting Barium Peroxide into my beer.
Mark
Come on.. why not?
The following is just an extract from an MSDS

Extremely hazardous in case of ingestion. Very hazardous in case of skin contact (irritant). Hazardous in case of eye contact (irritant), of inhalation. Slightly hazardous in case of skin contact (corrosive, permeator). Prolonged exposure may result in skin burns and ulcerations. Over-exposure by inhalation may cause respiratory irritation. Severe over-exposure can result in death.

Barium enema and an iodine injection to go with your computed tomography scan?

Well, #2 has died in the ass and #3 isn't looking too much better. Keeping in mind the starting DO of the beer was <2ppm as I had vigorously boiled and then went straight into cubes, then transferred under CO2 - no shaking or pouring from a great height - so there was minimal DO to start with. It does appear pretty evident that throwing H2O2 into a wort environment just throws O-'s around which will oxidise the wort rather than decomposing to O2. Even #3 where there was yeast/catalase available didn't really get enough decomposition into O2 - though there was possibly a bit.

Very interestingly, throwing diluted H2O2 into the starter seemed to be a different story. I'm using a refractometer to measure gravities and you could argue that #1 and the Control are very close - but #1 is still a touch behind. Perhaps multiple trials or multiple parallels may produce different results. But I'm pleased I tried this method, with a much higher proportion of yeast/catalase to wort giving the highest chance of H2O2 decomposing to O2.

I also did a bit of a sensory test with a blocked nose on the Control and #1. I've been fermenting 1275 at 16°C to hopefully promote the lovely cherry and pear, but also potentially dribble a bit of diacetyl in. Cold, I couldn't pick a difference. I had to warm up and shake samples to pick a difference in diacetyl, with #1 possibly showing a touch more diacetyl. It's bloody close though. Hops, sweetness, pear and cherry are basically identical though. I will try again tonight with these two - bigger samples, and see if the wife can pick a difference.

In terms of the other two, I'll wait until bottling to see what they're like. I may just discard #3 but I'm curious to see how oxidised #2 is.

Results below:
Gravity-22ndMay1.png

Att-22ndMay1.png

Next lot of results. I had bumped up the temperature from 16 to 18°C around 24hrs ago, so there has been a little bit more of a 'kick' across the samples.
Gravity-23rd.May1.png
Att-23rdMay1.png

Control is now at 1011.2 vs #1 at 1013.6, so a couple of points clear. #2 and #3 have both done their hamstring so are out of this race.

In terms of sensory evaluation, the Control is actually coming across more harshly including a more harsh bitterness, while #1 is quite clean. The expected FG is 1010 though, so with 3-4 points to go #1 will still get drier and bitterness will come forward more. The control could actually be picking up more trub in the sample as the tap is lower than it is in #1, but there are certainly no complaints with the #1 sample which is interesting.

Following this with interest, nice to see someone keeping records and testing an hypothesis.
Mark

Adr_0 said:
Control is now at 1011.2 vs #1 at 1013.6, so a couple of points clear. #2 and #3 have both done their hamstring so are out of this race.

In terms of sensory evaluation, the Control is actually coming across more harshly including a more harsh bitterness, while #1 is quite clean. The expected FG is 1010 though, so with 3-4 points to go #1 will still get drier and bitterness will come forward more. The control could actually be picking up more trub in the sample as the tap is lower than it is in #1, but there are certainly no complaints with the #1 sample which is interesting.
It's interesting that in my test, the 'control' batch (aerated as opposed to your vitality starter) also ended up ahead gravity wise, and didn't taste as good to start off with when compared to the H2O2 treated batch. I found the H2O2 batch had much stronger malt flavours and fruity esters as opposed to the aerated batch. It didn't come through to the packaged product though.

Other than taste/aroma factors, what about the appearance of your batches. Are some more cloudy than others or any difference at all?

Jack of all biers said:
It's interesting that in my test, the 'control' batch (aerated as opposed to your vitality starter) also ended up ahead gravity wise, and didn't taste as good to start off with when compared to the H2O2 treated batch. I found the H2O2 batch had much stronger malt flavours and fruity esters as opposed to the aerated batch. It didn't come through to the packaged product though.

Other than taste/aroma factors, what about the appearance of your batches. Are some more cloudy than others or any difference at all?
Doesn't seem to be much of a difference - except for #2 (H2O2 into wort 40min before yeast) where the yeast has already conked out!
(C 1 2 3)
Samples-24thMay.png

I might give #2 and #3 a little swirl. This was frozen yeast pitched into wort that evidently contained very little oxygen, so represents a good example of yeast struggling the whole way down. Probably what happens with a lot of kits sprinkling a single pack of yeast on top of the wort.

Flavour wise, the control is actually down to 1007.5 which is a lot lower than I thought it would get. After a quick decant of the trub and hop particles, it tastes lovely, smooth and round so happy with that - 1275 for the win. #1 tastes extremely close, with the difference being more over the difference in gravity rather than a massive change in yeast health (for better or worse).

Gravity-24thMay1.png

Att-24thMay1.png

So if the results mean anything, there would be no good time to add peroxide to a brew.
Hopefully you will get an Oxy kit and repeat the experiment with oxygenated wort, against an unaerated control.

Like I said before, its good to see someone documenting the results of an experiment, and put them up so others can see what happens
Appreciated Mark

MHB said:
So if the results mean anything, there would be no good time to add peroxide to a brew.
Hopefully you will get an Oxy kit and repeat the experiment with oxygenated wort, against an unaerated control.

Like I said before, its good to see someone documenting the results of an experiment, and put them up so others can see what happens
Appreciated Mark
Here here!

And if you do test pure O2 in this manner, please run a "Waaay too O2" sample.

Latest posts

Back