Bitter & Twisted 2009

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My first B&T I'll be there on Sunday as well to check it all out and sample whats on offer at MHB tent :beerbang: .

Sunday for us too

It was definitely the pick of the 2 days last year. Much more relaxed and laid back.

Sat seemed a lot busier with queues several people deep at the popular taps and little if any time to talk to the exhibitors/brewers.

Looks like a good line up of offerings this year too.

Hi Shmick,

Last year the Sunday clashed with the 'Fat as Butter' music festival so the crowds were down. This year they held the music festival last weekend so I would expect both days to be about the same and pretty busy as they have pre-sold a lot of tickets, some even to Tasmania.

By coming on the Sunday you do run the risk that some taps will have run dry :angry:

Dave

Hi Shmick,

Last year the Sunday clashed with the 'Fat as Butter' music festival so the crowds were down. This year they held the music festival last weekend so I would expect both days to be about the same and pretty busy as they have pre-sold a lot of tickets, some even to Tasmania.

By coming on the Sunday you do run the risk that some taps will have run dry :angry:

Dave

ill be there on the sunday too, was wanting to go saturday but oh well, better to go sunday than not at all

looks as though I cant make it, my missus had our bub's early 11 weeks premi on 16th october was keen on going but now have no driver(on p's, late bloomer), was keen to try the MHB stand, so now me and my old man who was going to tag along were planning maybe just go spend the $60 ( 2 tickets) ot 1st choice or dan murphy's or more so my preference warners at the bay and grab $60 worth of gear from around Australia say 20 different bottles and see how we go, as they had stock of over 600 different brews on last count (warners at the bay), me personally would go for all pale ale's yum anything with plenty of hops any suggestions? please keep it aussie though!

looks as though I cant make it, my missus had our bub's early 11 weeks premi on 16th October

Congrats on the bub.
We have just brought home an 13 week premi, so totally know how crazy your life would be at the moment. I would wager like us you are probably living at the hospital.

Hope baby is doing well, if you need to bounce questions or what not, about premi life and issues. Shoot me a PM, would be glad to help.

Cheers
Josh

Congrats on the bub.
We have just brought home an 13 week premi, so totally know how crazy your life would be at the moment. I would wager like us you are probably living at the hospital.

Hope baby is doing well, if you need to bounce questions or what not, about premi life and issues. Shoot me a PM, would be glad to help.

Cheers
Josh

Thanks mate yer were at hospital every morning and home in the arvo's for my other 2 kiddies to come home from school

looks as though I cant make it, my missus had our bub's early 11 weeks premi on 16th october was keen on going but now have no driver(on p's, late bloomer), was keen to try the MHB stand, so now me and my old man who was going to tag along were planning maybe just go spend the $60 ( 2 tickets) ot 1st choice or dan murphy's or more so my preference warners at the bay and grab $60 worth of gear from around Australia say 20 different bottles and see how we go, as they had stock of over 600 different brews on last count (warners at the bay), me personally would go for all pale ale's yum anything with plenty of hops any suggestions? please keep it aussie though!

Mate I am goin on the train from hamilton or waratah (although I think that weekend the trains will be replaced by buses due to trackwork). They tell me it's only a wee walk from the station to the Gaol so it all seems to be an easy run.

On the other hand Warner's at the Bay bottlo is a ripper of a back-up plan. I love that shop. I only go out that way when I convince the mrs that we need something for the young'n from Babies Galore just down the road. Everyone's happy. Last couple of times I did the mixed 6er of Aussie beers. A couple of standdouts for me were the St Arnou pale - not much straight from the fridge but give it a few moments to warm up in the palm and it reminded me of hoppy milo, another was Duke Pale Ale went down well as did the Snowy Mountains Crackenback Pale. Next time I go I am gonna grab that kiwi job Mac's Hop Rocker Pilsener cos I am not sure where else I can get it - last visit I grabbed a single and tasted it that arv and kicked myself for not getting more.

The staff there are onto it so if you tell em what you are lookin for they will throw a few suggestions your way.
While we are on it, anybody know any bototlos in the Newcastle area that holds Sierra Nevada Pale? Warner's said they were getting it in but hadn't last time I was out there. Have heard it's a good drop so am keen to give it a go.

Cheers

Congrats on the bub.

I don't envy the hospital visits though.
Had 2 premmies ourselves (8 & 10 wks) - both came home on their due dates but that was a good 10yrs ago and things are very different now.
Got well and truly sick of trekking up to JHH & Belmont after a long day commuting to Sydney.

Any reason for sticking to the Aussie brews in lieu of B&T? Quite a few on show this year are imports.
Best thing I reckon about WATB is the range of imports you can't get anywhere else locally.
Always next year.

I am quite looking forward to getting there this year, on the Saturday.

It's the only day I can get there and daughter in law is happy to drop us - MsWab and our son - and collect us later.

Too good a deal to miss :) I look forward to meeting more AHBers, and seeig some of those I have met again.

Cheerz Wabster

Right, need the advice of either locals or people who have been to Maitland before....

We need somewhere for me and wife to have drinks and dinner on Friday night. Staying at the Best Western Endeavour Hotel on the New England Highway (nice and close to the gaol).....

We'd love to find a pub where we can sit back and relax, maybe a meat raffle or a trivia night or something. We want to enjoy our childless freedom.... :D

Mate... Good luck getting 20 bottles for $60 at WATB... especially on the imports. Most of those start around the $6 mark and head north rapidly towards the $12... Even the redoak 250ml bottles are $5 plus... Unless buy Aussi you meant a selection of VB, MB, Carlton Draught, XXXX gold... :p

Polux, just down the road from maitland gaol is the small historical township of Morpeth... lotsa antiquey shops and cafes (Not sure about dinners though) also there is the leagues club thats just 2 mins 2walk from teh motel your staying at that does a half decent all you can eat .. great for those going to a beer festivle the next day :p

dont want to to suga coat maitland for you so im not gonn say much else.. look forward to seeing you at B&T

Tom

Mate, I'm originally from Kempsey, anywhere has to have a better night life.....:p

Are we still on for wearing an AHB uniform of some description???

I'll be easy to spot, tall man, shaved head, most likely camo cargo's and blundstones. If in doubt, my wife is the much shorter one with wings sliced into her back, seriously there is like a foot between us in height....

Pollux, I would suggest either The River Royal Inn at Swan St Morpeth (no meat raffle but a nice menu and a nice selction of tap beers including JSGA, Murray's Nirvana Pale Ale and Hunter Beer Co's Kolsch and Bock. 10 mins drive from the Endeavour), The Hunter River Hotel at Melbourne St East Maitland (Decent selection of tap beers and decent pub meal, 5 mins drive or about 20 min walk from Endeavour). The closest at about a 10 min walk is the Windsor Castle Hotel (standard beers and decent pub food). My favourite at the moment is the River Royal. Avoid the Hunter Valley brewery like the plague (it's not a brewery).
Dmac

Do you still have to eat at the River Royal for alcohol service?

Anyone recommend anywhere in Rutherford pub wise? Am there with 6 mates. Very much looking forward to it now...

I don't think so. i stopped in for an arvo Kolsch without a drama. I find it difficult to go past without stopping in for one.

There's really only 2 pubs and a club. The Rutherford hotel is on the highway near O'neills tyres, and the Bradford is near Maccas roundabout. The Bradford has Coopers pale on tap, that could be an advantage, although it resembles a bowling club atmosphere wise. Go for the closest i reckon.
Dmac

[quote name='O'Henry' post='545784' date='Oct 31 2009, 11:14 AM']Anyone recommend anywhere in Rutherford pub wise? Am there with 6 mates. Very much looking forward to it now...[/quote]

Try this place. Its in maitland and they have Guiness and Kilkenny on tap. Its a tops little Irish pub and our watering hole of choice when we get the chance to go out.

The pints of Guiness are devine!

Map

Website

The food is nice too :)

cheers

+1 for Shenanigans, a great pub and worth the drive in to Maitland

Back