To stay?To quit? To move?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MastersBrewery

Journeyman, the learning never stops
Reaction score
OK as a group I respect; I should probably explain a little. The past four years for myself, and those around me have been hard with a few on going legal issues. We are now at the end of all that mess and it is best we move on. Away from this mess and also away from the city, some time for some focus, reflection and healing. My young son (Ben turning 5 in Jan) could do with some time in the lime light. So here's what we we thought:

Plan A: Get a camp trailer and do a lap or 3 of the Country (most favourite but costly and more planing needed)[we would be wanting to do those once in a life time spots,CSR, GRR Tannami]

Plan B: Move interstate to the country and settle down, change scenery and life style.

Plan A meant selling the lot, and me more than the minister was committed to the course, however delay after delay, was just costing us more and more money. So we had a look south ( while checking some camping spots) and found that rent was way cheap and there was ample places not too far from where we could head off for a weekend for a quick bit of marshmallow burning.
I'm now recovering from a 48hr mad run down to Moe, Victoria where we've rented a storage space, we're looking at places now around that area (say 150km). The rest of everything will be in Vic by the end of the month. A lot of gear has been stripped and a few bits sold, I'll be rebuilding the main kegger(fridges come and they go).
At the young age of 45 moving house is for me more a physical challenge, I blew my back up about 2 years ago, and well lets say siting in a little pantec with SFA suspension for 12hrs each way did me no good, however it has helped me move to another required goal of emptying the the 6 kegs in the kegger before it gets shut down and stripped! (endone is better though but not to be mixed and priorities!)
Still a lot of packing cleaning and sorting, but I might just make the next Bummock and meet some more of the AHB crew.

MB

Plan B.
Plan A wouldnt be a good idea with your stuffed back. But wow what an experience ( no help at all ).

I get ya.. I hear ya.. A move is sometimes required, I'm a big one for it myself.. gets my vote.

But Moe? Birthplace of the Machete argument? :lol:

I sincerely wish you and the family all the best for the move and I know you'll make the most of it down there, my experiences were nearly 2 decades ago so I'm sure the joint and the remaining people are a different crowd than back then.

:party:

Best of luck with everything. Reckon option B would be my go. Don't know anything about Moe, but can definitely recommend the move South. Might just be where we landed, but we're loving it

But Moe? Birthplace of the Machete argument? :lol:

I had a friend who used to live in Moe.
She reckons it stood for Moccasins On Everyone. :p

Mirboo north (grand ridge brewery!) Philip Island, cowes, kurumburra, moving east then sale - bit meh, Bairnsdale - bit meh, newlands arm, eagle point, Paynesville, Raymond island, lakes entrance, metung, kalimna - are all nice little spots, lakes entrance is a bit meh I spose but the lakes area itself is pretty spectacular and rent is pretty good. 2 storey town house next to us was $260wk

Good luck!

Nice work on the move MB. Moe's not that bad and your placed right in the middle of some of Vic's best camping regions. To add to droid's list you've got Wilson's Prom, Dargo, Walhalla, Noojee, Mt Baw Baw all within cooey distance. Excellent salt and fresh water fishing too. Prime deer hunting country all around too if you go for that sort of thing.
My parents have just rented a little place on the Traf side of Moe while they build in Warragul so I'll be down that way from time to time in the next six months. We catch up outside Centrelink one morning for a ciggie and a Jimmy!

Thanks guys, now to find something and move the rest of the house. I just hope I'm not having to drive all the way to Melbourne for grain.

Good luck Masters and Co! I've started over a few times, 4 I think, (3 by choice, 1 not). It's always a steep hill and takes 3 years to get truly established in a new community. I wouldn't want to do it at this point in my life - 49. I hope it goes well and look forward to meeting you. IIRC droid is out that direction. You may, however, need to come to Melbourne for grain. There are a couple bulk buys per year though, so you should be able to do it in two trips.

Mrs warra and I moved about 18 months ago.
It cost us, in crappy real estate values in Port Macquarie (a deliberately depressed market by the real estate agents, but that's another story) when selling our house, and other moving expenses.
However, we may be about $100,000 poorer on paper, but we have never been happier since we made the move. We had a number of reasons for moving, that is the need to downsize, get closer to the offspring and the grandkids, to extricate myself from a particular volunteer position, and most of all to get away from the F-I-L (93 yo overly demanding tyrant who was driving mrs warra to an early grave).
Just do it. Don't stay in the rut.

Crappy real estate prices in Port Mac ?
A "sea side " abode, been there liked it, shit you needed agents from Port Lincoln.
IF you can see the sea from an obscure part of your property while standing on a milk crate it's flogged as having ocean views.
Ocean views be buggered, but it'll bung an extra 10k - 20k on the price.
Along with the " Mediterranean climate" , fkn near piss myself laughing when I hear or read that one.
Could it be the agents are cornering the market ?

Ummm......

Update kegger empty! We're loading truck 2 tonight, the house looks like a disaster, who knew we had this much shit. Yeah yeah I did. Road @ 7am tomorrow. Lets hope it all fits.

Back