Bitter & Twisted 2009

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I lack said green shirt.....

I vote overly loud Hawaiian shirts, hell, we're all there for a good time, who cares if we look a bit odd.

Plus, it will leave those who aren't from AHB wondering why there are these groups of people in bright shirts milling about..

they will think you come from some govt dept!

LOL Katie, yeap a major undercover effort.....

Our security have 5 "rovers" on friday/saturday nights and their uniform is overly loud shirts, makes them easy for the uniformed guards to spot if they all have to jump into a fisticuffs.

Hi B&T Brewers,

I am organising the HomeBrew sessions and would like to hear from people intending to visit what sorts of things you would like to see in a 20 minute info-session ?

We usually have sessions of materials, processes and general Q&A.

Thanks
Dave

where's this? what are you planning?

Hi B&T Brewers,

I am organising the HomeBrew sessions and would like to hear from people intending to visit what sorts of things you would like to see in a 20 minute info-session ?

Thanks
Dave

Topless bar maids are a good start. :rolleyes:

Look forward to seeing you there Dave .. what you thinking of making .. simple stuff for the masses or something hardcore for us ? Any good "bling" stuff to see ?

where's this? what are you planning?

We have run HB Info sessions at each of the B&T's held so far - see here for details. There will be more info when we decide.

Last year we had 'Twisted Top Tips' where some of the best brewers in NSW and ACT gave talks on beer styles (ie differences between Ales, Lagers etc) and ingredients (ie Different hops and grains). We had tastings to accompany the talks but this generally just attrached the bogans interested in free piss.

This year I am thinking that we will have some kit additives and recipe formulation, yeast management and dispense options (kegs, taps, pluto's and beer engines).

But all suggestions are welcome.

Dave

This year I am thinking that we will have some kit additives and recipe formulation, yeast management and dispense options (kegs, taps, pluto's and beer engines).

But all suggestions are welcome.

Dave

sounds good ..thats the problem these days I admit myself just reading the topic, is confusing, I want to have a couple of kegs down the track for my brew, but prefer to know what I am doing before spending $400-$500 on kegs, as I am doing now is getting as much info as possible plan my brews, and the equipment needed!

Topless bar maids are a good start. :rolleyes:

Look forward to seeing you there Dave .. what you thinking of making .. simple stuff for the masses or something hardcore for us ? Any good "bling" stuff to see ?

Looking forward to catching up with you FGZ - just give the secret handshake and I will make sure that you get lots of free beer :icon_cheers:

B&T has plenty of young flesh to amuse you ! These days I prefer to just 'imagine' what they would look like naked :icon_drool2:

We try to cater for all levels, but those happy with getting their K&K from the local supermarket are not probably going to get many ideas. W try to include stuff that kitters, extract and AG brewers will benefit from. All our speakers have placed at State and National comps. They also tend to have drunk/got drunk in many overseas countries.

But, what would a chap from 'down south like to see ?

Looking forward to catching up with you FGZ - just give the secret handshake and I will make sure that you get lots of free beer :icon_cheers:

B&T has plenty of young flesh to amuse you ! These days I prefer to just 'imagine' what they would look like naked :icon_drool2:

We try to cater for all levels, but those happy with getting their K&K from the local supermarket are not probably going to get many ideas. W try to include stuff that kitters, extract and AG brewers will benefit from. All our speakers have placed at State and National comps. They also tend to have drunk/got drunk in many overseas countries.

But, what would a chap from 'down south like to see ?

Yes, I too look at a nubile young lady and think "I wonder what her mother looks like ?"

Certainly can't offer an opinion on content as there is nothing I will learn in a twenty minute demo I should know by now .. ignorance of process is different from lack of knowledge .. and you can't preach to the converted. But if one in a hundred people who see your demo gets the brewing bug, you should rank that as a success. I'll stay in the background and make appreciative noises at the appropriate moment !

Should be a great event - Claire Bowditch & Ash Grunwald .. brilliant live artists ! What a way to start a pilgrimege north to Qld !

:wub: Imagine away ;)

I've heard MHB will be there with an entourage of HAGs so shouldn't be too hard to locate a few AHBer's :)

Woohoo. I will be there for my first B&T. This will round off a big week for me. Work picnic day Monday- big day, bar opens 9 sharp, lawn bowls, animals on a spit, fierce competion, good times. Tuesday - Melbourne Cup/wedding anniversary. Wednesday - my berfdy. Thursday-apologise to anyone I might have offended in the previous few days (neighbours, workmates, family, wife). Friday- well it's friday. Saturday-B&T which apart from good beer, good company will include Mr Ash Grunwald.
Needless to say I have that week off work. nuff said.

Would like to meet locals from AHB but being a mere kit brewer I am a little hesitant in presenting myself. Will see what the day brings eh.

This is part of a mailer that I sent out, this at least will be happening at B&T.

Cheers MHB

If you're a HAG and YOU THINK YOU CAN BREW - here is your chance to prove it!

How would you like to stand alongside some of Australia's best brewers and serve your beer to the public? There isn't a better test than that.

We have taken a stall at this year's B&T and have convinced OLGAR and the licensing police that it is Ok to give away Home Brew, in a bond zone; this is I believe the first time it's been done legally in NSW.

12 of you have the opportunity.

You need to be able to make 50 L of your finest and have it in a keg and at my shop by 1/11/09. I think it would be a good idea to have a couple of reserves.

To sweeten the pot I will provide

The Ingredients (if I stock them)

A 50L commercial keg

The taps and serving equipment

A tap flag with your name and the beer's name (yours to keep)

Entry to B&T and some beer tickets (we can't cash them in so..........)

If you cant do a 50L batch you can use my Braumeister system (just book a day)

I will also be organising an RSA training day in the shop one Saturday arvo or weeknight. (Details soon)

On the other side

I get to have some input into the beers we take along mainly to avoid repetition

We need you to be available to serve your beer for a day on the Saturday or the Sunday.

You must have an RSA and you have to be sober for your shift.

Provide a photo for ID

Not everyone can do the morning shift then spend the arvo getting plastered, shifts are on a first in first choice basis

So if you think you can brew get your hand up soonest.

Spoken for so far

Hefeweizen - I'm taking 4 kegs just in case we run out of other beer (all day both days)

Ben - ESB on a hand pump (all day both days)

Ben and I aren't part of the 12 so we need at least another 6 brewers

David - Bitter (IIRC) also on a hand pump (in and out like a yoyo no doubt)

Trent - Topaz SMASH

Les - Old Speckled Hen clone

Tony - LCPA

Lachlan - something English probably

Pete An APA

Garth - Old Peculiar (reserve keg, won't be serving)

Collin Budvar (reserve keg, won't be serving)

Let's show what HAG brewers can do and let's have lots of fun doing it.

Just read your email Mark.

WOW

That is an incredible opportunity for the home brew community to really strut their stuff.
Wish I was closer to newcastle to take up such a great offer.

I hope the HAG's really kick some goals with this one.

Mmmmm, my wife was born and bred in Maitland, still has a few friends up that way. Might be a good excuse to get along.

I lack said green shirt.....

I vote overly loud Hawaiian shirts, hell, we're all there for a good time, who cares if we look a bit odd.

Plus, it will leave those who aren't from AHB wondering why there are these groups of people in bright shirts milling about..

I too lack the shirt so endorse the hawaiin option. Let's face it. I would probably have worn one anyway. I feel for the regular hawaiin shirt wearing people who will have AHB'ers chatting away to them...

MHB: You have got me very excited. Still yet to have beer on a handpump, so I will be there first up, I imagine. What a great idea and opportunity for the HAGs.

Hi Mark,

Have not read the e-mail yet.

My offer still stands to put in an IPA. I'll reply to the e-mail later tonight.

I'll also drop a sample into the shop so you can see what it is like.

Regards, Steve

3 More places taken, and a maybe

This is going to rock.
Mark

Hey mark was gonna call you
just got the SWMBO to pull out all my certificates and crap
Turns out ive got an RSA from back in 2002 ... Looks like im in if theres a spot still going :p

Might have to have a brew day at the shop unless theres someone willing to put thier hand up for the day as 50L on my system is a little difficult :)

Was thinking something along the lines of Either Tonys SMASH POR (Which im drinking atm and is bloody nice) or a Golden Ale

Tom

Just received the B&T info in the post and decided that I'll be there sporting something from the BN or a Hawaiian shirt.

Great Job MHB (and crew), I cant wait to sample some of the real local brews.

Daniel

Bahahaahha,

My Hawaiian shirt idea has really taken off, might need to go buy one myself now....

Remember, the louder the better:p

Back