Cancer in a family member

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good to hear. I feel so sorry for those affected.
Mate its the kids I feel sorry for, they don't get treated in the same ward but I would see them waiting to go in to see the oncologist, its hard for someone to imagine how shit chemo makes you feel, how can a mother explain to toddler that it is alright.
Babies are being born with cancer, and the amount of teens and people in their early twenties with brain tumours, I doubt whether there are any oncologists or oncology nurses who believe mobile phones are safe.

Babies are being born with cancer, and the amount of teens and people in their early twenties with brain tumours, I doubt whether there are any oncologists or oncology nurses who believe mobile phones are safe.

Let's not be silly and ignore all of the research that says that they aren't responsible for this, just because it's an emotional issue. That is actually very irresponsible of the oncologist to say that male brest cancer rates are increasing because of phones being kept in chest pockets, as there is absolutely no conclusive evidence to suggest that. I think we would find that he is in the minority of oncologists who would suggest such a link. Yes, I'm not an oncologist, but do work as a Physio with oncology patients in public health and am very aware of research in to these areas.
Don't forget, we are much better at detecting these things now (has a decent effect on reported rates of cancers), and also getting babies through term even with certain illnesses (hence greater rates of some infantile diseases upon birht, instead of them not making it to birth). Obviously there are many environmental factors that contribute, and we are responsible for a lot of them, but the evidence says don't be scared of your mobile phone!

Most importantly, congrats on getting through it WEAL, it's great to hear that there was a medication/treatment regimen that worked for you! Cancer treatment is so challenging, as cancer is simply a mutation of cells that proliferates - that's why it's so hard to come up with specific treatments, because theyre all so different in different areas of the body. The best thing that we can do right now is target the quickly proliferating cells (chemo) and hope to wreck them before the rest of the person's body.
My dad passed in his 50s after a relatively short fight with lung cancer in 2011 (looked like small cell carcinoma, but wasn't. Still spread incredibly quickly though). It's heartening to see people like yourself still in the prime of their life be able to continue on and enjoy themselves (P.S. I've been following your Guten thread the last week and I think that you've convinced me to bite the bullet on one!)

My 4 year old daughter is 18 months thru treatment for leukaemia (A.L.L)

She underwent 7 months of intense chemo last year with a few complications where things could have gone either way. In the first few days of diagnosis they started chemo. As a parent you are like a deer in headlights at first, signing forms trying to keep up with the amount of information you are being fed from a cast of thousands.

Her cancer is the most common for kids her age and has a set protocol - it still doesn't make it easier as there are ZERO guarantees and the possible long term side effects are frightening.

She has been on maintenance for nearly a year. Maintenance involves daily tablet chemo, monthly lumbar punctures & IV chemo, steriods, fortnightly blood counts... She still has another 12 months left to go - it's a very long protocol.

Her immune system is constantly supressed and her previous vaccinations have been wiped out with treatment which makes sending her to kindy a worry at the best of times...

Childhood cancer is brutal. They are on similar dosage rates (as in weight/ht BSA) as adults, although the organs are not fully developed, albeit they are generally in better condition than someone who has been drinking and smoking for 20+years. Survival rates are generally better in kids for that reason as well as they don't have the added stress of work/bills/mortgage/bullshit - they just worry about being kids.

I have met a few kids who have now passed, it's completely heartbreaking. Along with the fact that 1 or 2 new families will walk thru the hospital door for the first time in the next week.

I've had a few years off brewing since she was born, but have recently gotten back into it as a way to take my mind off things which has been good.

Feel for you unwrittenlaw, my heart goes out to all the kids suffering in hospital and the constant visits, whatever they are suffering from.
Having 2 daughters I can only imagine what it must be like for a parent.

Friends of ours (through my wife in her youth) lives the life of a nurse in this world. PedeOnco.

Most of the stress I've ever felt has no meaning once I had the slightest proximity to this topic.

Three kids in my den. Think I'll grab some marshmallows and get a winter fire going.

Had no idea you had this background till today WEAL; I knew I liked your strength of character though and moreso now.

Sad to hear, all the best for you daughter unwrittenlaw, and all the best for your family. I have a 7 year old and a 5 year old. I just can't imagine...

Really puts my recent heart surgery into perspective, although I've been down the cancer road as well. It's one thing to face your own illness and mortality, another to face your kids'. Good luck to you and your families, unwrittenlaw and all of you.

Latest posts

Back