Cancer in a family member

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My sincere condolences mate, really puts little worries we have into perspective!

Stay as strong as you can

So sorry for your loss. No father should have to endure that.

I'm really sorry to hear about your about your daughter. My thoughs to you and your family.

At my age I'm beginning to have friends and family of my own gen. dropping off the perch, not that it lessens the pain, but your daughter was far too young. Deepest sympathy buddy.

Got the kick in the guts news today that the Mother in law has 6 months to live.
The better half is devo as am I. All Mother in law jokes aside mine is top shelf, thankfully it's Christmas in Adelaide this year at her place so the entire tribe are going to pull out all the stops and make it a ripper.

Not a family member, but Sarah Tait died yesterday of cancer, Olympic rowing silver medalist and just 33 years of age,Elena Baltacha Tennis player died of liver cancer just 2 months after being diagnosed, was reading this week that cancer diagnosis is up 40% from 20 years ago but chances of survival has gone up by far more, and the Americans now have a blood test to find cancer in its early stages for those at risk.
I have just completed my 12th cycle of keytruda at $9,000 every 3 weeks (thank goodness the drug company is footing the bill) within 6 weeks the tumor had shrunk from large grapefruit size to ping pong ball size most of the others have disappeared.
I was ready to throw the towel in just before I started on this drug my weight had dropped from light heavy down to welter weight, I was impressed with the staying power of this cancer,it had come through 3 lots of chemo and one bout of aggresive radio therapy, if something is going to beat you this had earned my respect.
Now I find I am living a normal life but aware that cancer is a foe to be very wary of, my oncologist swears that the drug companies have a cure but prefer to make their money by keeping people alive rather than curing them, thinking he is just a conspiracy theorist I checked the prices of the other drugs that are being quite successful, Ipilimuab $120,000 for 4 treatments,
Nivolumab $12,500 per month, I am all for free enterprise but what price is a human life?

My dad has an op to remove the biggest tumour from his brain this monday am.
From that, they will take a biopsy and work out whether the other tumours in his body are primary or secondary and work out the next course of action.

Two friends, one 32, one in his 60s have survived brain tumours (both secondary to existing lung cancer) recently so I have hope. At least his word memory should be improved by Tuesday.
Last week he was perfectly normal.
Fuckin' bang.

All the best to you and yours .

Cheers.
Not quite the death sentence it used to be - medical and technological advances are amazing but every case is individual. Fingers crossed.

When my wife and I were trying to get pregnant after 2 years we had some tests done.
It turned out the wife had cervical cancer, the doctors said there would be a minimal chance of conceiving after the treatments but.
6 months later she fell and we now have a happy healthy 7 year old boy who saved my wife's life as if we weren't trying to get pregnant the cancer would not have been found.
Goes to show its not always all bad.
We still have regular scans and tests but it's all clear at the moment.

wide eyed and legless said:
Not a family member, but Sarah Tait died yesterday of cancer, Olympic rowing silver medalist and just 33 years of age,Elena Baltacha Tennis player died of liver cancer just 2 months after being diagnosed, was reading this week that cancer diagnosis is up 40% from 20 years ago but chances of survival has gone up by far more, and the Americans now have a blood test to find cancer in its early stages for those at risk.
I have just completed my 12th cycle of keytruda at $9,000 every 3 weeks (thank goodness the drug company is footing the bill) within 6 weeks the tumor had shrunk from large grapefruit size to ping pong ball size most of the others have disappeared.
I was ready to throw the towel in just before I started on this drug my weight had dropped from light heavy down to welter weight, I was impressed with the staying power of this cancer,it had come through 3 lots of chemo and one bout of aggresive radio therapy, if something is going to beat you this had earned my respect.
Now I find I am living a normal life but aware that cancer is a foe to be very wary of, my oncologist swears that the drug companies have a cure but prefer to make their money by keeping people alive rather than curing them, thinking he is just a conspiracy theorist I checked the prices of the other drugs that are being quite successful, Ipilimuab $120,000 for 4 treatments,
Nivolumab $12,500 per month, I am all for free enterprise but what price is a human life?
The class of drugs that keytruda belongs to is the way of the future for cancer treatment. Convincing the immune system to rid the body of cancer is the way to go IMHO (and my profession is medical research) and while PD-1 inhibitors like keytruda are just the beginning, they are working wonders in certain cancers. It did not work for my mum, but I am glad it has worked for you. This is also a great demonstration of the power of science, it is just a shame that as a society we don't put much stock in scientific knowledge and endeavour. Hopefully we see the folly of our ways and invest the time and cash required to obtain this knowledge, (and trap the tangible benefits) rather than wasting 10s of millions of dollars per gold medal for a feel good five minutes at the next Olympics (for example).

As a biochemist, an ex-pharma dev scientist, a science teacher and a human being I wish your Dad all the best Manticle. I hope that medicine can make a happy ending for your old man.

Thanks.
He's a good bloke. Had a good life so if this is it, then that's the way it is but I'd like a bit more time with him and I reckon he'd cope with a bit more time with us

Hey Andrew, Best wishes to you and your family. I hope your dad pulls through, and you have many more years talking crap together [emoji4]

WEAL, glad to hear things are going well/better. Hope you also have many more years to become a big soft Leftie ahead of you [emoji6][emoji1]

My sincere condolences mate. Terrible news..

My condolences Manticle.

Latest posts

Back