Best Book I've Read!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

railgun_livewire

Reaction score
I'm sure this one has done the rounds on the forum, but I've been reading a book called:

"Man Walks into a pub"

It's a largely anecdotal account of the history of beer.
Following the progress of beer from its earliest form, the reader travels through egypt, rome, and of course northern europe.
The book provides insight into the development of beer and hopes to explain some things taken for granted today.

I'm only about 1/3 of the way through - but I would highly recommend it to anyone with even the slightest interest in beer.

I'd be keen to hear what others think of the book!

I'm sure this one has done the rounds on the forum, but I've been reading a book called:

"Man Walks into a pub"

It's a largely anecdotal account of the history of beer.
Following the progress of beer from its earliest form, the reader travels through egypt, rome, and of course northern europe.
The book provides insight into the development of beer and hopes to explain some things taken for granted today.

I'm only about 1/3 of the way through - but I would highly recommend it to anyone with even the slightest interest in beer.

I'd be keen to hear what others think of the book!
when you finish that , read his other book called "4 sheets to the wind"
another good read ...cheers....spog.....

Author, Year, Publisher ? Sounds good, I love beer books.

My favourite is Protz "Ultimate Encyclopedia of Beer". Sadly twelve years old and getting well out of date but a lot of things have got better, some worse, would love a new edition but don't think it will ever happen.

Author, Year, Publisher ? Sounds good, I love beer books.

My favourite is Protz "Ultimate Encyclopedia of Beer". Sadly twelve years old and getting well out of date but a lot of things have got better, some worse, would love a new edition but don't think it will ever happen.

a man walks into a pub
pete brown
july 2004
isbn 9780330412209.

three sheets to the wind. (not 4 sorry)
pete brown
may 2007
isbn 9780330442473

....cheers..spog..

Without doing a google I would like to know the author. I have umpteen beer books and cannot say one is better than the other, I tend to bounce from Randy Mosher too John Palmer. Credit too Buhner, Fisher, Hieronymus, Daniels, Strahan too.
All is a good read in pieces.

edit, thx spog, beat me to it.

Without doing a google I would like to know the author. I have umpteen beer books and cannot say one is better than the other, I tend to bounce from Randy Mosher too John Palmer. Credit too Buhner, Fisher, Hieronymus, Daniels, Strahan too.
All is a good read in pieces.

edit, thx spog, beat me to it.
just found another that will cause a lot of interest here.
all belgian beers.
hilde deweer(author)
published jan 07
isbn 9789058562425.
cost's $90.00 plus au. go booktopia,search beer it's on page 4
get set and go boys go ;) .....cheers.......spog.....

Pete Brown has a new book about to hit the stands too.
Hops and Glory. The story of IPA. And Pete re-visits the journey from the UK to India with a cask of ale.

Beers,
Doc

Last edited by a moderator:
Hops and Glory. The story of IPA. And Pete re-visits the journey from the UK to India with a cask of ale.

Beers,
Doc

all go here t,night. doc's link goe's to amazon .co.uk. in there are copies of his other books starting at 1 pommie pence. coulb be a goer.....cheers......spog....

I get my UK books from The Book Depository (search on keywords) that is usually more up to date than Amazon, good prices and FREE POSTAGE internationally. Got my Graham Wheeler Real Ale book from them and arrived in four days.

I've just ordered 'Man' and when I've finished that I'll get Hops n Glory

Thanks for the heads up.

I got Brew like a Monk from there, cheaper than Amazon and about 2 weeks delivery time...

I got Brew like a Monk from there, cheaper than Amazon and about 2 weeks delivery time...

just been "abe books .com" can get 3 sheets to the wind delivered for under $10.00 aus..cheers.......spog.......

I get my UK books from The Book Depository (search on keywords) that is usually more up to date than Amazon, good prices and FREE POSTAGE internationally. Got my Graham Wheeler Real Ale book from them and arrived in four days.

I've just ordered 'Man' and when I've finished that I'll get Hops n Glory

Thanks for the heads up.

Mate that site has awesome prices! Thanks for the link!

Beers,
Doc

He also has another great book I'd love to get my hands on. Saw it at Borders a couple of years ago and intended to buy it at a later date. They no longer stock it.

Man Walks Into A Pub

Thumbing through it in Borders I was instantly hooked. Just need to get hold of it.

Warren -

Back