Euro Tour

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slcmorro

87 Warning Points. Bad Boy!
Reaction score
So, myself and the soon to be wife will be travelling around western Europe for the better part of a month on our honeymoon.
The intinerary is fairly fluid, except for our initial stay in England (first night in Wembley already booked), our 4 day stay in Munich (during Oktoberfest, already booked) and our last night in Paris.

We're planning on (loosely) the following:

N.B - I know we're planning on loooottttsss of places and will probably run out of time (trust me, if I could have got more time off work I would - we're going to be so rushed - the cities below are just a rough guideline and what's piqued our interest) - the dates are the dates we're planning on arriving into each country.

England 14th Sept (Decided to catch the train to Scotland, with a stop-off/over at Newcastle)
Scotland 16th Sept (Edinburgh [Will fly into Brussels from here])
Belgium 17th Sept (Brussels, Bruges, Antwerp)
Netherlands 19th Sept (Eindhoven, Amsterdam)
Germany 21st Sept (Berlin, ***Munich - Must be here by the 24th***)
Italy 28th Sept (Venice, Florence, Rome, Naples [Will fly into Nice from here])
France 2nd Oct (Nice, Marseilles, Lyon, Caen, Paris [Will fly back to London for our flight home from here])
England 8th Oct (Fly home at 5pm)

Now that you'd stayed with me through all that, there are a few attractions that the missus and I are really keen to visit:
Stonehenge (Eng)
Berteschgaden (Ger)
Normandy (Fra)
Eiffel Tower (Fra)
Louvre (Fra)
Colloseum (Ita)
Buckingham Palace (Eng)
Sistine Chapel (Ita)
Bath (Eng)
St Marks Basilica (Ita)
Neuschwanstein Castle (Ger)
Arc de Triomphe' (Fra)
Big Ben (Eng)
Leaning Tower of Pisa (Ita)
Tower of London (Eng)
Notre Dame (Fra)
Blue Grotto (Ita)

***My own notes - ignore this: Cinque Terra, Tuscany***

So - if anyone is inclined to throw in some advice, opinions and most of all suggestions of must-see attractions, must visit pubs/restaurants and must-drink beers in and around those areas throughout the above, please - I'm all ears! :D

It's a fairly decent walk, but you can do Notre Dame, Louvre, Arc de Triomphe and le Tour Eiffel in a day (the walk was good for me to burn off the awesome French food). Allow lots of time between the Lourve and the Arc de Triomphe as you'll be strolling up the Champs de Elysees with all the expensive girly shops. If you don't want the walk, it's a pretty linear route as I've suggested it (or in reverse), so the cabs should be relatively cheap. If you want to take your time and see it properly though, only do 2 of these a day (esp the Louvre)

Keep your windows rolled up as you drive through Marseilles...... The waterfront is pretty cool though, as is the church above the harbour (name escapes me currently). A nicer spot close to Marseilles is Aix en Provence (about 40min drive) if you're spending any time in the south.

Sounds like an awesome trip. Enjoy!
RB

I'm somewhat biased, being a Yorkie but I would suggest a stop-off/over (ideally over) in York, which is on the way up to Scotland, rather than Newcastle. Newcastle is a great city and all but York is a fantastic city particularly for some really interesting history, amazing old buildings (York castle, the Minster, Guy Fawkes house, loads of viking stuff), chuck some money on the nags at York race course, and it has a ridiculous amount of pubs of which I can advise you on at least 20 well worth visiting.

I'm just not entirely sure what Newcastle has to offer for a brief stop over as far as tourist attractions go. It's more a city to spend a bit more time in rather than a one night visit. Unless, of course, you've got other reasons to go to Newcastle. Anyway, that's what I would do.

As you'll be in London, and London is massive, depending on how long you're there, I guess you have to do all the usual tourist attractions. I could advise you on a bunch of brilliant pubs in London but some of the best aren't really in places you'd necessarily be in. The Union Tavern in Maida Vale/Kensal Green area is kind of a stop off if you're up in Wembley and heading on the tube into London. It is bloody brilliant and was my old stomping ground for most of last year. The selection of beer is superb and it's a canal side pub with a cracking beer garden. The George Inn near Borough market is well worth a visit and has been there for about 300+ years.

Those are two that spring immediately to mind but there's a shit load of craft beer pubs in east London and there's the brewdog pubs which are all over London now but worth a visit to one of them at least.

Well, that looks like a list that your missus put together. Not a single brewery or bar on it.

Jokes aside (I generally go there with my missus and she makes similar lists), here's my 2 cents worth.

Amsterdam: The Wildman Cafe (one of the best beer bars in the world. - http://www.indewildeman.nl/index.php?lang=en Had a really good night there - don't miss it. Great atmosphere for couples too, my wife loved it.

Abraxas Coffee Shop: http://abraxas.tv/ (Steer clear of the coffee shops in the tourist/red-light district. Full of American 20 year olds. Try and get slightly out of the CBD for a better experience. Not sure if weed is your thing though)

Local pub with good atmosphere: The Spanish Rider (can't remember how to translate into Dutch and they don't have a website I can find. Slightly rough but the real deal.

Paris: One of my favourite cities - Catch the big, open topped double decker tourist bus that runs around the city (Actually, I do this in every new city - slightly naff but you can see everything, it's cheap, and you can jump on and off wherever you want).

Otherwise, just go where the wind takes you - I'm sure you'll have a great time.

Red Baron said:
Sounds like an awesome trip. Enjoy!
RB
Great suggestions mate, really appreciate it! I forgot to mention - we'll probably buy a couple of shitty old bikes and trundle around on them while we're there. We're both relatively fit, and as you say it's a great way to burn off all those extra kjs and save $$$ on a taxi fare. I'm kinda stuck with this romantic notion of a pushbike in Europe - slow, relaxed and we'll probably see a lot more than if we cabbed/bussed it everywhere.

welly2 said:
I'm somewhat biased, being a Yorkie but I would suggest a stop-off/over (ideally over) in York, which is on the way up to Scotland, rather than Newcastle. Newcastle is a great city and all but York is a fantastic city particularly for some really interesting history, amazing old buildings (York castle, the Minster, Guy Fawkes house, loads of viking stuff), chuck some money on the nags at York race course, and it has a ridiculous amount of pubs of which I can advise you on at least 20 well worth visiting.

I'm just not entirely sure what Newcastle has to offer for a brief stop over as far as tourist attractions go. It's more a city to spend a bit more time in rather than a one night visit. Unless, of course, you've got other reasons to go to Newcastle. Anyway, that's what I would do.

The Union Tavern in Maida Vale/Kensal Green area is kind of a stop off if you're up in Wembley and heading on the tube into London. It is bloody brilliant and was my old stomping ground for most of last year. The selection of beer is superb and it's a canal side pub with a cracking beer garden. The George Inn near Borough market is well worth a visit and has been there for about 300+ years.
Hi mate. We'll definitely check out York by the sounds of it. My boss is a Novacastrian, so he's pumped the place up fairly well. There's no other real reason to go there outside of he suggested it!

Will swing through the Union Tavern for sure, maybe even go there for dinner on our first night. Just checked out the website - looks tops!

Thanks for the suggestions :)

Lincoln2 said:
Well, that looks like a list that your missus put together. Not a single brewery or bar on it.

Jokes aside (I generally go there with my missus and she makes similar lists), here's my 2 cents worth.

Amsterdam: The Wildman Cafe (one of the best beer bars in the world. - http://www.indewildeman.nl/index.php?lang=en Had a really good night there - don't miss it. Great atmosphere for couples too, my wife loved it.

Not sure if weed is your thing though

Local pub with good atmosphere: The Spanish Rider (can't remember how to translate into Dutch and they don't have a website I can find. Slightly rough but the real deal.

Paris: One of my favourite cities - Catch the big, open topped double decker tourist bus that runs around the city (Actually, I do this in every new city - slightly naff but you can see everything, it's cheap, and you can jump on and off wherever you want).
Nah, weed isn't our thing really. Was a bit of fun in my teens and twenties, but I reckon I'd be lucky to have had a go 10 times total.

Wildman Cafe has just been put in the book, thank you muchly! Will look into The Spanish Rider too.

Awesome mate, so envious. I've only been to Frankfurt in Germany (whatevs) but I got to spend 10 days in Italy, which was amazing.

Our favourite part of Italy was Tuscany. Amazing. Especially around Lucca where we stayed.

Cinque Terra was also pretty cool.

Roma was amazing for the sight seeing, but outside of that it sucked. The locals were rude and it was tourists everywhere, far from the more authentic Italy we had experience for the week prior.

Spiesy said:
Awesome mate, so envious. I've only been to Frankfurt in Germany (whatevs) but I got to spend 10 days in Italy, which was amazing.

Our favourite part of Italy was Tuscany. Amazing. Especially around Lucca where we stayed.

Cinque Terra was also pretty cool.

Roma was amazing for the sight seeing, but outside of that it sucked. The locals were rude and it was tourists everywhere, far from the more authentic Italy we had experience for the week prior.
Will definitely throw Tuscany on the list being that we'll be in Florence. From all my research, we're heading over in the shoulder season which is good. Shouldn't be overly cold or tourist-busy but I'm expecting a bit of competition at the bigger attractions. Part and parcel!

Bamberg, the home of Weyermann, in Germany was our favourite spot in Europe, equal with the Cinque Terre in Italy. It is a few hrs drive from Berlin, at the top of Bavaria so that woùld give you a good warm up for Munich. Bamberg is a beautiful picturesque town of 70,000 people and they are famous and crazy about their Shlenkerla Rauch beers. Great vibe that town. It was recommended by a few guys on here and I will definitely be heading back.

Good on you. Wish it was me.

Visiting so many major attractions will probably mean that you will stand in queues for annoyingly long periods. I'd be inclined to go for quality over quantity.

Are you driving at all? Driving in Europe is one of the most intense and at times, nerve-racking experiences you'll have. But it's awesome. It gives you so much flexibility and freedom to visit quaint, out of the way places that are as good, or better, in many cases than the popular destinations. A GPS will be your ultimate best friend if you drive.

Wherever you are, ask for a locally made drink, whether it be beer, wine, Scotch or whatever. Same with food.

Enjoy.

danestead said:
Bamberg, the home of Weyermann, in Germany was our favourite spot in Europe, equal with the Cinque Terre in Italy. It is a few hrs drive from Berlin, at the top of Bavaria so that woùld give you a good warm up for Munich. Bamberg is a beautiful picturesque town of 70,000 people and they are famous and crazy about their Shlenkerla Rauch beers. Great vibe that town. It was recommended by a few guys on here and I will definitely be heading back.
Sounds like a winner! Might be able to stop there on the way to Nuremberg/Munich. Thanks friend :)

Black Devil Dog said:
Good on you. Wish it was me.

Visiting so many major attractions will probably mean that you will stand in queues for annoyingly long periods. I'd be inclined to go for quality over quantity.

Are you driving at all? Driving in Europe is one of the most intense and at times, nerve-racking experiences you'll have. But it's awesome. It gives you so much flexibility and freedom to visit quaint, out of the way places that are as good, or better, in many cases than the popular destinations. A GPS will be your ultimate best friend if you drive.

Wherever you are, ask for a locally made drink, whether it be beer, wine, Scotch or whatever. Same with food.

Enjoy.
Hell no to the driving. Trains and bikes will be our main mode of transport. *Might* look at doing it here and there when based in a particular city for a few days, but we certainly won't be driving about the continent.

We're definitely going to do the whole 'experience local' thing for sure even if it's out of the comfort zone :)

slcmorro said:
Sounds like a winner! Might be able to stop there on the way to Nuremberg/Munich. Thanks friend :)
Too easy.

Other than the shlenkerla rauchbier which Id slap you if you wnet to bamberg and didnt try, about 15min toward Nuremburg is a brewery called St Georgen Brau. Their pilsner was a stand out for me on that trip and only about 1.30 euro for half a litre I think. Crazy!

Also, I drove for about a month through Germany, Austria and Italy. Driving through Germany was one of the best things I did and I have to disagree with the above, it was not scary or nerve racking at all. Rome and Italy in general is a different story. My mrs was happier doing 180+ on the autobahn than doing 30 in rome. Its like Bali driving in some parts of Italy. You just need to look at the cars. In germany they are in pristine condition, in italy they are all banged up! Driving is probably not for everyone, but my holidays in europe will be mainly driving from now on because it gives you absolite flexibility, you dont have to worry about where to put your bags on trains and the countryside is breathtaking in allm of the countries I visited.

danestead said:
Driving through Germany was one of the best things I did and I have to disagree with the above, it was not scary or nerve racking at all. Rome and Italy in general is a different story. My mrs was happier doing 180+ on the autobahn than doing 30 in rome.
Black Devil Dog said:
Driving in Europe is one of the most intense and at times, nerve-racking experiences you'll have. But it's awesome.
I think you did agree. ;)

slcmorro said:
So, myself and the soon to be wife will be travelling around western Europe for the better part of a month on our honeymoon.
The intinerary is fairly fluid, except for our initial stay in England (first night in Wembley already booked), our 4 day stay in Munich (during Oktoberfest, already booked) and our last night in Paris.
We're planning on (loosely) the following:
N.B - I know we're planning on loooottttsss of places and will probably run out of time (trust me, if I could have got more time off work I would - we're going to be so rushed - the cities below are just a rough guideline and what's piqued our interest) - the dates are the dates we're planning on arriving into each country.England 14th Sept (Decided to catch the train to Scotland, with a stop-off/over at Newcastle)Scotland 16th Sept (Edinburgh [Will fly into Brussels from here])Belgium 17th Sept (Brussels, Bruges, Antwerp)
Netherlands 19th Sept (Eindhoven, Amsterdam)
Germany 21st Sept (Berlin, ***Munich - Must be here by the 24th***)
Italy 28th Sept (Venice, Florence, Rome, Naples [Will fly into Nice from here])
France 2nd Oct (Nice, Marseilles, Lyon, Caen, Paris [Will fly back to London for our flight home from here])England 8th Oct (Fly home at 5pm)

Now that you'd stayed with me through all that, there are a few attractions that the missus and I are really keen to visit:
Stonehenge (Eng)
Berteschgaden (Ger)
Normandy (Fra)
Eiffel Tower (Fra)
Louvre (Fra)
Colloseum (Ita)
Buckingham Palace (Eng)
Sistine Chapel (Ita)
Bath (Eng)
St Marks Basilica (Ita)
Neuschwanstein Castle (Ger)
Arc de Triomphe' (Fra)
Big Ben (Eng)
Leaning Tower of Pisa (Ita)
Tower of London (Eng)
Notre Dame (Fra)
Blue Grotto (Ita)
***My own notes - ignore this: Cinque Terra, Tuscany***
So - if anyone is inclined to throw in some advice, opinions and most of all suggestions of must-see attractions, must visit pubs/restaurants and must-drink beers in and around those areas throughout the above, please - I'm all ears! :D
The trip will blow your mind,some of places on your list I have been to and would revisit in a heart beat.
Tower of London,do a tour it's incredibly interesting we did ours at night which gave us the day to do our other rubber necking.
St Paul's Cathederal - climb the stairs onto the roof and check out the 360 degree view....brilliant.
Crossing the bridge towards Big Ben with BB on the left hand side behind the building on the right is a street named Canon Row on the corner is a small pub,you can stand out side on Canon Row holding a pint of cask ale grinning like an idiot and get a photo of BB in the back ground over your right shoulder.
The changing of the guard at the palace is some thing to see! Get there early as its very popular.
After the changing of the guard walk around to the left and follow the road for a bit and look for a pub/ tavern call the Bucket "o" Nails,it's got it's sign hanging over the door,and grab another pint !.
Oh and while your at the Tower ,as you stand looking at the main gate just around the corner over your left shoulder is a pub......yeah grab another pint ;). Actually make it a half,your are on your honeymoon and you don't want brewers droop.

France. Eiffel Tower , Notre Dame well worth the visit but put your wallet etc in your brest pocket and keep your wits about you ,it's crawling with thieving gypsie cnuts.
Normandy is great for the WW 2 sites ( if your interested) Point Du Hoc is now as it was then with all the bombing etc it still resembles the surface of the moon,craters all over the place, faarrrrk me.
I won't recommend the Palace of Versialle ? As its incredibly popular and 1000's of people visit it , it's like being caught in a stampede and crushed.

Neuschwanstein castle is speccie,get a tour there from a mob who are based at the Munich train station,I can't remember their name but they are on the far right hand side of the tracks tucked around the corner,ask for Geoff/ Jeff,he's a Pom and a very knowledgable likeable bloke.
We did a couple of tours with him and I rate him and the company very highly. I'll see if I can dig out the details and get back to you.
Berchtesgaden is a nice spot ( oh and it's got a tavern and a brewery,lucky you what an amazing stroke of luck) .
The tour of the salt works between Berchtesgaden and Salzburg is another recommendation . And a pub straight across the road.:).
I found a large monogrammed beer glass there,the things an Aussie finds when touring Europe are amazing.

Rome. ****'n amazing ! You can walk from the Colleseum back along the street into the centre and pass excavated Roman house ruins ,then onto the Spanish steps ( meh ) ,the Pantheon ( a top little restaurant that sell Italian craft beer is VERY close . ( ill dig that detail out as well).
Then onto the ruins of the Senate where Julius Ceasar was topped, it's next door to a Ducati cafe for a cuppa and cake for the better half.
The Vatican is amazing as well as the Sistine Chapel. Warning it's a tourist trap, I didnt see the need for a Pope calendar to replace my tattered Elle MacPherson calendar .
If you have time when in Rome try to visit the Trastevere area it's got some good cheap ( compared to the usual tourist areas) cafe's ,shops and yep bars and a small farm produce shop that sell their own micro brews , bugger me if I wasn't their best customer as we stayed 1 minutes walk away on the same street. When I was there they were only selling glasses at the bar it it was bloody nice beer,I was invited to their 1st year in business as a micro brewery party which sadly happened the day we left. Gutted I was.
Depending on time etc if you can grab a tour to Pompeii (2 hr drive) do it ! Absolutely brilliant .

Enjoy your trip and half your luck.

slcmorro said:
Hi mate. We'll definitely check out York by the sounds of it. My boss is a Novacastrian, so he's pumped the place up fairly well. There's no other real reason to go there outside of he suggested it!

Will swing through the Union Tavern for sure, maybe even go there for dinner on our first night. Just checked out the website - looks tops!

Thanks for the suggestions :)
Oh fair enough. If you were staying longer, absolutely go to Newcastle. It's an experience alright but for a short stay, it would be a massive shame not to visit York. It's one of the most interesting cities in the UK and easily walkable.

Do a ghost tour, they started in York. They're dead cheesy but you'll get to see all the interesting parts of York with some great stories and then head to somewhere like the Kings Arms (where the ghost tours start and finish) down by the river. Another pub that's been around for easily 200+ years. And then go on to Ye Olde Starr Inn for a few top beers in pretty much York's oldest pub.

And if you're going by train, get to the station earlier to stop at The York Tap pub in York train station which is a craft beer pub. Loads of taps, loads of bottles. Try the Brodie beer. It's an absolute winner. Good pork pies too.

Slcmorro firstly congratulations!

Better half and I did a similar trip 12 mths ago for our honeymoon your going to have a great time I'm seriously jealous!

To save coin - sandemans new world walking tours - they are pretty much in every major city, they cost a tip to the guide only (usually a ten per head is the going rate but you're free to pay whatever u feel is the right amount). Great way to see heaps and get some knowledge.

Hope this helps

Back