Beersmith 2.0 Available For Pre-order

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All my BS2 weidness was solved by a very accomodating Brad who worked out that there were unsupported characters in my recipe files.

Does anyone have any wisdom on the mash profiles when using the BIAB selections?

I choose Mash, BIAB Medium Body and it gives me two entries: Sacc rest at a step temp of 66.7C. Fair enough. But it also tells me to add 33L of strike water at 66.7C for a 5 kilo grain bill. Of course, when adding one to the other, the temperature won't be 66.7C any more. Put short; my strike temp is the same as my step temp, and it shouldn't be.

Does anyone have any wisdom on the mash profiles when using the BIAB selections?

I choose Mash, BIAB Medium Body and it gives me two entries: Sacc rest at a step temp of 66.7C. Fair enough. But it also tells me to add 33L of strike water at 66.7C for a 5 kilo grain bill. Of course, when adding one to the other, the temperature won't be 66.7C any more. Put short; my strike temp is the same as my step temp, and it shouldn't be.
Disclaimer- I am not a BIABer.

It looks to me as if they are adding water to the grain and then heating to achieve 66.7C
Actually says 'Add x l of water and heat to 66.7C'
I can't see where you can change that to Add grain to x C water.
Nige

One thing i've noticed since upgrading from 1.4 is that all of my weyermann, bairds, thomas fawcett etc malts have disappeared and have reverted back to the stock standard malts that appear on a fresh install of beersmith...

Anyone know where I can download the above malt profiles again?
Open beersmith 1 and then grains and highlight the malts you want and copy and paste them into beersmith 2, this worked for me

Here's a weird one - I had both BS1 & BS2 open at the same time. In BS2 & clicked on the "$ Update Prices" button, and it has stuffed all my prices in BS1!

Does anyone with a 4v HERMS use BeerSmith?
Did you mod any settings to get it to play nice?
Had a bit of a look at the trial version but couldn't work out how to add this setup, assuming it makes any difference?

Nick R,
Double click on the sacc rest step and change "temperature" to "infusion" and see if the figures seem right.

Mash temp of 66 degrees, and BS2 says add 71.9 degrees strike water. From experience I know to add strike water at about 3 degrees higher than desired mash temp (i.e. 69 in this case).

Why is BS so high? What do I need to change?

BS2mash.jpg

Mash temp of 66 degrees, and BS2 says add 71.9 degrees strike water. From experience I know to add strike water at about 3 degrees higher than desired mash temp (i.e. 69 in this case).

Why is BS so high? What do I need to change?

first off have you set up your equipment profile yet and secondly have you ticked the "adjust mash for equipment" box in the recipe design screen?

Does anyone with a 4v HERMS use BeerSmith?
Did you mod any settings to get it to play nice?
Had a bit of a look at the trial version but couldn't work out how to add this setup, assuming it makes any difference?

Here's my equipment profile that I use for my HERMS system in BeerSmith.
It consists of 3 x "50lt" vessels and 1 x 10 lt vessel although the only ones you need to worry about are the mash tun weight, volume and material and the boiler volume.

herms.jpg

first off have you set up your equipment profile yet and secondly have you ticked the "adjust mash for equipment" box in the recipe design screen?

Yes, I have ticked that box.

For the equipment, I am using the 40L electric urn that was pre-set in BS2. There must be a need to change that I assume.

Here's my equipment profile that I use for my HERMS system in BeerSmith.
It consists of 3 x "50lt" vessels and 1 x 10 lt vessel although the only ones you need to worry about are the mash tun weight, volume and material and the boiler volume.

<snip>
Thanks a lot, appreciate that. Will have a tinker when I get home. Be good to get some help calculating volumes for additions etc.

Yes, I have ticked that box.

For the equipment, I am using the 40L electric urn that was pre-set in BS2. There must be a need to change that I assume.

Looks like you might need to adjust the "Mash Tun Specific heat" field in the equipment profile from .30 to .12 that seems to shift the temperature by about 3.

Andrew

Looks like you might need to adjust the "Mash Tun Specific heat" field in the equipment profile from .30 to .12 that seems to shift the temperature by about 3.

Andrew

Thanks Andrew - I expected it was something like that, but assumed it would have been addressed by the creators.

Are you able run this software on multiple computers on the one licence? My question being is that my current computer is old and tired..........like me. Now if I purchase another computer do I have to get another licence?

Are you able run this software on multiple computers on the one licence? My question being is that my current computer is old and tired..........like me. Now if I purchase another computer do I have to get another licence?
No problem doing that.
From Beersmith.com

Frequently Asked Questions

1. Can I use BeerSmith on more than one computer?
■Yes, you can use one BeerSmith activation key on up to TWO computers (PC or Mac) as long as both computers are for your personal use. For example installing on your laptop and desktop computer would be fine. Sharing or giving a key to another person for their use is strictly prohibited.

Cheers
Nige

Nick, I'll let Brad know about this as it should adjust. I actually thought it was doing this in the earlier beta versions???

Cheers,
Pat

Cheers Nige.

Just might purchase one of these of you.

Latest posts

Back