Beersmith 2.0 Available For Pre-order

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
go into C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\BeerSmith2 or wherever yours is and copy the lot onto your flash drive and replace it on the new comp, that'll do it. you need to restart BS before you use it. cheers

ahh thats where they put it. Are the files hidden?? as if they are you will have to unhide them I am in ubuntu so cant tell if its hidden or not. If they are go to control panel and files and folders I think there is a selection in there to unhide hidden files

Found all the files on the old computer, and copied them onto the flashdrive.
Unfortunately, it seems Microsoft with their Windows 7 Home Premium make life almost impossible.
Although I copied the files from the flashdrive to the BeerSmith2 file on the new computer, restarted it, it just doesn't seem to want to adopt the files.
Time for bed for me for the night, I'll try again tomorrow.
Frustrating, to say the least.
Thanks for the suggestions so far.

maybe try the files in the beersmith folder in program files they may update them in there to as they have each file for like grain and yeast and equipment and everything

Hi there Warra,

You have all the files so all should be good. Do either of the following...

1. Click File / Change Documents Directory and make sure that it is pointing to the same directory as where you copied them - should be something like C:\Users\YourName\Desktop\Documents\BeerSmith2. If not, move the files to this directory and then open BS2. This should work. (BeerSmith2 does not use the same directory as the program files for data).

2. If worse comes to worst, double click on your original recipes.bsmx file. BeerSmith2 will open. Once open, copy the recipes to 'My recipes'. Close BeerSmith 2 saying 'Yes' to the prompt that will come up. Repeat this for any other necessary .bsmx files such as equipment, mash etc.

Number 1 above will almost definitely be the cause of your worries.

Cheers ;) ,
Pat

Hi there Warra,

You have all the files so all should be good. Do either of the following...

1. Click File / Change Documents Directory and make sure that it is pointing to the same directory as where you copied them - should be something like C:\Users\YourName\Desktop\Documents\BeerSmith2. If not, move the files to this directory and then open BS2. This should work. (BeerSmith2 does not use the same directory as the program files for data).

2. If worse comes to worst, double click on your original recipes.bsmx file. BeerSmith2 will open. Once open, copy the recipes to 'My recipes'. Close BeerSmith 2 saying 'Yes' to the prompt that will come up. Repeat this for any other necessary .bsmx files such as equipment, mash etc.

Number 1 above will almost definitely be the cause of your worries.

Cheers ;) ,
Pat

Well, we finally got there, except for the Inventory, which just won't copy to my flashdrive. PP's method 1 wouldn't work for me. Essentially PP's method 2 was the way to go.
All the files had to be dragged from the flashdrive into their appropriate place on the sidebar in BS2 on the new computer. This opened them, and when I closed them I clicked "Yes"to the prompt. That saved them, and they're still there and working!

Thanks to all for your help and suggestions. Much appreciated.

Back